The squad takes shape

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
On the topic of players that wouldn't make the run-on side at other squads.

The last two grand final winning teams included Brenko Lee and Paul Momirovski who have usually been playing reserve grade.

Proof that you need back-ups on the cheap and no squad is full of 30 superstars.

Depends on what you define as an important role.

The obvious ones for us are Harper, Guac and Schu but you could argue that Toff and DeLuis played important roles when called upon but to a lesser extent.
Cust and Tuna were used very sparingly.

When you look at the chooks/bears - as their year turned out the major ones were
Ikavalu, Walker, Hutchison and also Marschke and the Butcher and the Baker

Tony Satini, now there's a player that I thought would kick on but....
What these teams illustrate is that within one season there is a lot of 'churn' from being a "depth signing" to an NRL player. A 'development player' can easily graduate from the NSW Cup into first grade and, by the end of the season, be an important member of the NRL team.
Hence, how wise is it to re-sign a proven average performer in Lance at the expense of a potential First Grade enforcer in Tenterfield? Give me potential over 'never will make it, but he's cheap' every day of the week.

What these teams illustrate is that within one season there is a lot of 'churn' from being a "depth signing" to an NRL player. A 'development player' can easily graduate from the NSW Cup into first grade and, by the end of the season, be an important member of the NRL team.
Hence, how wise is it to re-sign a proven average performer in Lance at the expense of a potential First Grade enforcer in Tenterfield? Give me potential over 'never will make it, but he's cheap' every day of the week.
I think one thing that we don’t know is what goes on behind the scenes.

Was Saddler a good trainer??

Was Saddler doing everything to improve??

Was Saddler working positively with the coaches as part of the 30??

Is there a personal reason for him leaving ??

Is it just a case of more money up north ??

There are just so many different angles that we just don’t know.

I get your point, but I’d say there’s a lot more to this than meets the eye.

I agree on the value for money front. But I'm more thinking the Zac Saddler, Sione Faine, Kaeo Weekes, Alec Tuitavake, Tolutou Koula types. We need to progress them through the development chain (like the Panthers have done with their juniors).

Who knows, we may uncover a Brian To'o type for example.
Sure, Koula is already in the top 30. Tuitavake has being signed for a further3 years.

Also , didn't the poor bugger have a fractured skull ? Pretty big injury to come back from in such a high impact sport and especially in the position he plays.

Agreed @Mark from Brisbane. Des does not release a young prop with huge potential.... unless he doesn''t think he has.... the huge potential everyone else thinks he has!

I think both are on very very low priced contracts ( Min wage basically) and have signed knowing that they are only " back up" players and may not even get a look in over the entire 2022 season, just as Jorge didn't in 2021.

You need these types of experienced players in a SQUAD to have a successful roster, and they are not taking up spots from "younger talent" as the younger talent are still unproven and if they have any potential ability they will be signed to development contracts.

having these more experienced players as back up players means there's team harmony as they do not cause divide or negativity within the team if they are not getting a run, but when they are called upon you know what you get and they both can do a job, they may not be marque signings but they are first grade players, look at some of the players running around in the bottom 8 NRL sides and I would take both Jorge and Morgan over lots of them. So for these guys to sign on and stay will only be a good thing for us.

As for the players that have been moved on I agree with them all, I'm a little (lot) disappointed in Zac but Des is no fool and he brought him over from the Dogs and got him to the Dogs in the first place, so im pretty sure Des knows what he has in Zac and ALSO what he hasn't got, so If Des really wanted to keep him I'm pretty sure he would have.

Bullemore will be a good signing and his signing may have been the reason we have let Zac go, I think Des and the coaching team see value in Davey, Sipley, S Fainu, Keppie, Lawton, Boyle, Bullemore, Burbo, Tuitavake and De Luis and when you consider that only 2 or 3 of these players will be in the top 17 week in week out then we are looking pretty good in the forwards department.

Our best forwards ( Minus a hooker) that basically have their name on the team sheet week in week out :
13- Jake T ( locked in)
8- Josh A ( Prop locked in)
15- Taniela P ( Prop locked in)
10- Marty T ( Prop locked in)
11- Haumole O ( Second Row- locked)
12- Josh S ( Second Row locked in)

Bench:
14- Dylan W
15- Will go to one of either Taniela/ Josh A or Marty

SO that leaves 2 spot

16- ?
17- ?

thats 2 spots from a list of 9 first grade forwards as next picks......

And it wont be easy just picking 2,
Do you put Keppie, Sipley or Lawton in, One still misses out..... then there's Davey and Bullemore, The club has huge wraps on Sione F, Burbo and Tuitavake, De Luis can do a job if needed as he has already shown, So signing Boyle is a smart move as there are many in front of him and he will work his arse off to get a spot and this will only push the others "above him".
and as for Jorge don't be surprised if we see him in the forwards as a battering ram if we ever end up really short on troops through injuries as Des knows what you get with Jorge and he has the physical size and ability to be a forward if push came to shove.

Our Roster consists ONLY of 28 players ( Now including Bullemore) So we even have 2 spots left, if ones a forward then this adds even more to our depth up front, Im pretty confident Des and the club know what they are doing ...In Des we trust!

Last edited:
Agreed @Mark from Brisbane. Des does not release a young prop with huge potential.... unless he doesn''t think he has.... the huge potential everyone else thinks he has!
Agreed with you both @Mark from Brisbane and @Brisbane Tragic ...we also dont know what Saddler wanted in a contract. Maybe Manly did offer him something and he wasnt happy with it and has decided to look elsewhere? Maybe Des said he probably wouldn't play much first grade the year?

Who knows? but if he was going to be the next big thing then Des wouldn't have let him go

I think both are on very very low priced contracts ( Min wage basically) and have signed knowing that they are only " back up" players and may not even get a look in over the entire 2022 season, just as Jorge didn't in 2021.

You need these types of experienced players in a SQUAD to have a successful roster, and they are not taking up spots from "younger talent" as the younger talent are still unproven and if they have any potential ability they will be signed to development contracts.

having these more experienced players as back up players means there's team harmony as they do not cause divide or negativity within the team if they are not getting a run, but when they are called upon you know what you get and they both can do a job, they may not be marque signings but they are first grade players, look at some of the players running around in the bottom 8 NRL sides and I would take both Jorge and Morgan over lots of them. So for these guys to sign on and stay will only be a good thing for us.

As for the players that have been moved on I agree with them all, I'm a little (lot) disappointed in Zac but Des is no fool and he brought him over from the Dogs and got him to the Dogs in the first place, so im pretty sure Des knows what he has in Zac and ALSO what he hasn't got, so If Des really wanted to keep him I'm pretty sure he would have.

Bullemore will be a good signing and his signing may have been the reason we have let Zac go, I think Des and the coaching team see value in Davey, Sipley, S Fainu, Keppie, Lawton, Boyle, Bullemore, Burbo, Tuitavake and De Luis and when you consider that only 2 or 3 of these players will be in the top 17 week in week out then we are looking pretty good in the forwards department.

Our best forwards ( Minus a hooker) that basically have their name on the team sheet week in week out :
13- Jake T ( locked in)

Bench:
14- Dylan W

SO that leaves 2 spot

16- ?
17- ?

Do you put Keppie, Sipley or Lawton in, One still misses out..... then there's Davey and Bullemore, The club has huge wraps on Sione F, Burbo and Tuitavake, De Luis can do a job if needed as he has already shown, So signing Boyle is a smart move as there are many in front of him and he will work his arse off to get a spot and this will only push the others "above him".
and as for Jorge don't be surprised if we see him in the forwards as a battering ram if we ever end up really short on troops through injuries as Des knows what you get with Jorge and he has the physical size and ability to be a forward if push came to shove.

Our Roster consists ONLY of 28 players ( Now including Bullemore) So we even have 2 spots left, if ones a forward then this adds even more to our depth up front, Im pretty confident Des and the club know what they are doing ...In Des we trust!
Finally some common sense

Agreed with you both @Mark from Brisbane and @Brisbane Tragic ...we also dont know what Saddler wanted in a contract. Maybe Manly did offer him something and he wasnt happy with it and has decided to look elsewhere? Maybe Des said he probably wouldn't play much first grade the year?

Who knows? but if he was going to be the next big thing then Des wouldn't have let him go
Zac suffered a serious neck injury and maybe not re-signing him has something to do with that. Maybe the doctor's prognosis is something we don't want to take a risk with...especially so soon after Keith's mishap? Maybe.

13- Jake T ( locked in)

Bench:
14- Dylan W

SO that leaves 2 spot

16- ?
17- ?

Great post Jay.

stupid signings imho and 2 spots wasted when they could have went to talented juniors.
I have one word for you. BRONCOS. Beware clearing the cupboard of experience so you can fit in the youth. We have 30 spots and a few older heads who have faced adversity and injury could really help ground the kids.

All very good questions Mark, and I'm hoping there was a reason other than pure football ability and potential.
Playing Devil's Advocate now: Why did the Donkeys release Bully?
Everyone on here is praising his recruitment yet there may be as many questions about his off-field attitude as you are posing about Tenterfield's departure. . . .

All very good questions Mark, and I'm hoping there was a reason other than pure football ability and potential.
Playing Devil's Advocate now: Why did the Donkeys release Bully?
Everyone on here is praising his recruitment yet there may be as many questions about his off-field attitude as you are posing about Tenterfield's departure. . . .
He is supposedly stronger than Haas and faster than Oats. Seems pretty dedicated. The Broncos also let go Sam Walker and Reece Walsh, they've lost Fifita, Xavier Coates and Pangai junior. If the Broncos let him go its more likely he will be a star.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8