The squad takes shape

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Don’t agree with blooding juniors too early. I think signing Jorge and Morgan for 1 year only on the cheap is a smart move at this time. In the meantime we can better assess and nurture some of the up and coming juniors. Btw last year we apparently offered young Hopoate a 250k contract that was snubbed. He went to Canberra and where is he now? Does not even make their top 30.

"Jorge" mate. And like I say, out of all the teams I've listed, which winger would he replace?
The Roosters were considering borrowing Jorge at the end of the regular season. I would prefer to sign Jorge on minimum wage as a back up then say young Hopoate for 250k a season. I personally think Jorges best days are behind him but what do I know ? I am not close enough to properly assess. Not sure any of my fellow silvertails are either?

Taufua and Boyle? Not sure if anyone watched the Grand Final, or Melbourne vs. Panthers preliminary, but the games become explosively fast and intense (for the very successful clubs). Lightning quick play the balls. Blistering in your face hard hitting defense.

(Honest question, does Boyle or Taufua make a Bunnies, Panthers, Roosters, Eels or Storm teams?)

I'm not sure re-signing toilers / plodders is the way to go? I could go on a P&O trip through the Islands by the time Taufua plays-the-ball.

Anyways, I completely disagree with their re-signings (both slow, both injury prone), but it is, what it is. Let's hope the rest of the squad shapes up much, MUCH better.
In terms of would they make the other teams..well for Manly they are purely depth players so if you can tell me who the number 26 to 30th players are at these other clubs then we can compare them accurately.

The Roosters were considering borrowing Jorge at the end of the regular season. I would prefer to sign Jorge on minimum wage as a back up then say young Hopoate for 250k a season. I personally think Jorges best days are behind him but what do I know ? I am not close enough to properly assess. Not sure any of my fellow silvertails are either?

I agree on the value for money front. But I'm more thinking the Zac Saddler, Sione Faine, Kaeo Weekes, Alec Tuitavake, Tolutou Koula types. We need to progress them through the development chain (like the Panthers have done with their juniors).

Who knows, we may uncover a Brian To'o type for example.

In terms of would they make the other teams..well for Manly they are purely depth players so if you can tell me who the number 26 to 30th players are at these other clubs then we can compare them accurately.

When Boyle was healthy, he was getting selected by Des. Maybe not Barrett so much, but definitely Des. And I go back to the "type" of players they are...slower, lumbering types.

The games moved past that.

When Boyle was healthy, he was getting selected by Des. Maybe not Barrett so much, but definitely Des. And I go back to the "type" of players they are...slower, lumbering types.

Which is why , for probably bigger money we’ve signed Bullemor.

I just don’t think every player can be “ top shelf “ , we have to have 30, players from say 25-30 have to be cheap.

He got some games. I cant remember if there were injuries at the time.

Either way as it stands he's probably the 6th string prop.

I agree on the value for money front. But I'm more thinking the Zac Saddler, Sione Faine, Kaeo Weekes, Alec Tuitavake, Tolutou Koula types. We need to progress them through the development chain (like the Panthers have done with their juniors).

Who knows, we may uncover a Brian To'o type for example.
None of those players will play 1st grade next year! Maybe Saddler if he gets another gig. I don't get all this **** about blooding youngsters and these "plodders" taking a spot off a local junior. We have 4 development places aswell so our best juniors will take those spots. As for any of the other "so called talented" youngsters we have im not sure any of them will be playing 1st grade next year so why have them in the 30. Boyle and Taufua would be on absolute minimum wage and will be lucky to play a handful of games between them so good experience depth. You just simply can't have a top 17 and fill the squad with youngsters, it would NEVER work!!! I'm glad some on here aren't in control of our cap or we'd have 10 or 12 young kids with potential getting smashed week in week out.
Edit* pretty sure it was reported last year that we had the 2nd youngest squad behind Panthers so the whole argument of "we need to blood young kids" is void. We already have so many young guns. Schuster, Saab, Garrick, Paseka, Olakau-atu Bullemore, Keppie. 19 and 20 year old are NOT gonna win you a comp. Even most of the Panthers young guns are now in their early to mid 20s.

Last edited:
None of those players will play 1st grade next year! Maybe Saddler if he gets another gig. I don't get all this **** about blooding youngsters and these "plodders" taking a spot off a local junior. We have 4 development places aswell so our best juniors will take those spots. As for any of the other "so called talented" youngsters we have im not sure any of them will be playing 1st grade next year so why have them in the 30. Boyle and Taufua would be on absolute minimum wage and will be lucky to play a handful of games between them so good experience depth. You just simply can't have a top 17 and fill the squad with youngsters, it would NEVER work!!! I'm glad some on here aren't in control of our cap or we'd have 10 or 12 young kids with potential getting smashed week in week out.
Get what you're saying, but I disagree. You also have to look at the farms of other teams (Panthers for example). They'd have some 20-21 year old kids chomping at the bit to play 1st grade. Kids who play today's style of game. Kids you could continue develop. Kids who'd sign on leagues bear minimum.

Trouble is some think we can sign 30 top shelf players.

Ain’t going to happen !!

Wait on. Didn't you say none of our promising juniors would play First Grade next season? So how could "10 or 12 young kids with potential get smashed week in week out"?
Wouldn't they be playing with Blacktown?
And if you'll recall, 10 or 12 of the players in the first NSW Cup match between Blacktown and Norths did end up playing First Grade this season for Manly and Easts.
You never know how injuries and form will play out, and it was proven in 2021.

Taufua and Boyle? Not sure if anyone watched the Grand Final, or Melbourne vs. Panthers preliminary, but the games become explosively fast and intense (for the very successful clubs). Lightning quick play the balls. Blistering in your face hard hitting defense.

(Honest question, does Boyle or Taufua make a Bunnies, Panthers, Roosters, Eels or Storm teams?)

I'm not sure re-signing toilers / plodders is the way to go? I could go on a P&O trip through the Islands by the time Taufua plays-the-ball.

Anyways, I completely disagree with their re-signings (both slow, both injury prone), but it is, what it is. Let's hope the rest of the squad shapes up much, MUCH better.
Boyle is a total plodder! At 58 I could beat him in a sprint - without a doubt and I was a slow lock!

Trouble is some think we can sign 30 top shelf players.

Ain’t going to happen !!

Not sure about that Mark, I've read everybody talking about juniors, development, farm players, progress players, others team's "in the system" players - systems like The Panthers.

These players (20-23 years old) ready to step up, but are ready and able for the new style of play (up-tempo, explosive, mobile, energetic).

But players who would play on league minimum contracts while they continue to progress.

Wow at Saddler being released?

I'm very surprised by that.
I am with you there, they had an opinion of him when Des and Crusher brought him over from the dogs.

The only fault I can find with Saddler on the games I watched him play was he does give away stupid penalties and has a short fuse. Tuitavake and Sione may well be rated above him in terms of potential ceiling.

Give me an unproven local with potential over these two any day.
With a new face we at least have hope. Taking up space in our roster with these two former NRL players gives me no confidence that we'll improve in 2022.
(I know it sounds harsh and Jorge has been a great servant to the club over an extended period but he is no longer our future. Same with Boyle. And to think the club preferred Lance to a future NRL front rower in Tenterfield. Madness)
I agree Boyle is a total waste of space.... but Tenterfield to me has not proved anything at all yet. He has not set the field on fire in any game he has played - been serviceable that is about it. Now he might turn out to be one heck of a player and it takes props a while to grow into good players but yes so far... I haven't see what the hype is about. I certainly haven't seem him bend the line or put on a cracking hit. So his signing would be more about hope that he will get there. Des is obviously gambling that he wont but gee if Boyle is better than him... surely not!

Last edited:
Not sure about that Mark, I've read everybody talking about juniors, development, farm players, progress players, others team's "in the system" players - systems like The Panthers.

These players (20-23 years old) ready to step up, but are ready and able for the new style of play (up-tempo, explosive, mobile, energetic).

But players who would play on league minimum contracts while they continue to progress.
The Panthers have by far the biggest junior nursery in the NRL.

Yes they’ve just won a GF, but it did take them a while to get there.

Im not sure you can compare us to them though I think for us it’s a mix between “ bought / developed / developed from the juniors all the way”.

I’m trusting our recruitment and coaching staff to know more than we do.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8