The squad takes shape

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I like Boyle he just gets injured everytime he starts showing what he has got. Jorge staying on is a shock to be honest. He looked so slow last year. He proved me wrong with how much his defence improved. Now can he find some speed? 1x Back rower 1x Fullback 1x old past it Prop.

You're comparing him to the 2 of the best teams at full strength. He will be a depth player and push for selection. Have a look at some of the depth players in the Bunnies and Panthers, I haven't even heard of some of them. They're the guys you should be comparing Boyle to.

Okay.

Panthers starting 17 at the beginning of the year were (according to their official site, so don't shoot the messenger):

1. Dylan EDWARDS - sponsored by Soneta Plumbing
2. Charlie STAINES - sponsored by Chemtools
3. Paul MOMIROVSKI - sponsored by Protech Locksmiths
4. Stephen CRICHTON - sponsored by Hertz
5. Brian TO'O - sponsored by Granville PlastaMasta
6. Jarome LUAI - sponsored by Wisdom Dental and Denture Clinic
7. Nathan CLEARY (c) - sponsored by CC Tyres Penrith
8. Moses LEOTA - sponsored by East Blaxland Butchery
9. Apisai KOROISAU - sponsored by Casella Express
10. James FISHER-HARRIS - sponsored by Hix Group
11. Viliame KIKAU - sponsored by Fornari's Interior Linings
12. Kurt CAPEWELL - sponsored by MKJ Projects
13. Isaah YEO (c) - sponsored by Chardon & Abbott Home Loans

14. Tyrone MAY - sponsored by Wright Way Plumbing & Civil
15. Spencer LENIU - sponsored by Cetnaj Wetherill Park
16. Matt EISENHUTH - sponsored by Potter Automotive
17. Liam MARTIN - sponsored by El Gringos Locos

Here was their injury update prior to round one stating there were 0 injuries (i.e. full strength team selected):

Their Grand Final team included the following players (according to their official site, so don't shoot the messenger):

2. Stephen CRICHTON - sponsored by Chemtools
4. Matt BURTON - sponsored by Hertz
17. Liam MARTIN - sponsored by Fornari's Interior Linings

11. Viliame KIKAU - sponsored by El Gringos Locos
15. Scott SORENSEN - sponsored by Cetnaj Wetherill Park
16. Spencer LENIU - sponsored by Potter Automotive

This indicates the following depth players were used by The Panthers (I'd suggest Staines / Eisenhuth became depth, because accoring to the grand final injury update, neither were injured):

4. Matt Burton (at the expense of Charlie Staines)
15.Scott Sorensen (at the expense of Matt Eisenhuth)

We are discussing forwards only here, so I'll focus on just those: Penrith's depth on that premise, would be :

+ Matt Eisenhuth: 89 games, 5 tries, 86 average run metres (average fantasy points: 33.7) - 29 years old

+ Tevita Pangai Junior: 102 games, 16 tries, 108.5 average run metres (average fantasy points 48.5) - don't shoot the messenger, he was acquired as added depth - 25 years old

+ J'maine Hopgood: 5 games, 0 tries, 72 average run metres (average fantasy points 29) - 22 years old

+ Mitch Kenny (injured in the prelim): 36 games, 0 tries, 25 average run metres (average fantasy points 33.9) - 23 years old

+ Izack Tago: 6 games, 1 try, 59 average run metres (average fantasy points 24.8) - 19 years old

+ Morgan Boyle: 47 games, 1 try, 48 average run metres (average fantasy points 21.5) - 25 years old

Now, before you all laugh at the average fantasy points, I personally think there's validity in that, because it includes all statistics (defense, attack, errors etc). I will say I haven't included one game players for The Panthers. Where does Morgan rate (6 depth forwards in total)?

Games Played: 3rd most experienced from 6 players
Tries per game: 4th out of 6
Average run metres: 5th out of 6
Average fantasy points (including all stats): 6th out of 6

I'm sorry, but the development and value added by Olakau'atu, Schuster, Harper (who in my view burnt out with the rigors of their full season), along with Saab's first full year (also thought B Turbo was fantastic and should have been given more of a shot), really excited me, and think the skies the limits going forward.

We have a raft of quality junior depth. Heck, so do The Panthers, Eels, Bunnies. The games moved on from previous years. We need to become faster, more mobile, more explosive through the middle in both attack and defense.

I just think we have better alternatives, which of course is all moot, as they are signed here now, but I just wanted to share my opinion.

(Honest question, does Boyle or Taufua make a Bunnies, Panthers, Roosters, Eels or Storm teams?)

I'm not sure re-signing toilers / plodders is the way to go? I could go on a P&O trip through the Islands by the time Taufua plays-the-ball.

Anyways, I completely disagree with their re-signings (both slow, both injury prone), but it is, what it is. Let's hope the rest of the squad shapes up much, MUCH better.
The Storm had Max King and Brenko Lee in their roster so yes. They are basically numbers 29 and 30 so its ok to cheap out on them. Boyle is servicable but flawed. Taufua is a little less so although now has played a bit of centre so is handy to have in the squad given we also have 3 spots available to fill with better first string depth options.

If they both are plodders, well at least we have far less than we had last year with Jetski, Siro and Suli (in most games). Step in right direction. I’d imagine the replacement options for horhay and boyle would be more expensive and importantly, less experienced. Boyle has shown he can do ok, taufua’s weakness was speed and he is now a centre so it’s slightly less important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay.

Panthers starting 17 at the beginning of the year were (according to their official site, so don't shoot the messenger):

2. Charlie STAINES - sponsored by Chemtools
4. Stephen CRICHTON - sponsored by Hertz
11. Viliame KIKAU - sponsored by Fornari's Interior Linings

15. Spencer LENIU - sponsored by Cetnaj Wetherill Park
16. Matt EISENHUTH - sponsored by Potter Automotive
17. Liam MARTIN - sponsored by El Gringos Locos

Here was their injury update prior to round one stating there were 0 injuries (i.e. full strength team selected):

Their Grand Final team included the following players (according to their official site, so don't shoot the messenger):

2. Stephen CRICHTON - sponsored by Chemtools
4. Matt BURTON - sponsored by Hertz
17. Liam MARTIN - sponsored by Fornari's Interior Linings

11. Viliame KIKAU - sponsored by El Gringos Locos
15. Scott SORENSEN - sponsored by Cetnaj Wetherill Park
16. Spencer LENIU - sponsored by Potter Automotive

This indicates the following depth players were used by The Panthers (I'd suggest Staines / Eisenhuth became depth, because accoring to the grand final injury update, neither were injured):

4. Matt Burton (at the expense of Charlie Staines)
15.Scott Sorensen (at the expense of Matt Eisenhuth)

We are discussing forwards only here, so I'll focus on just those: Penrith's depth on that premise, would be :

+ Matt Eisenhuth: 89 games, 5 tries, 86 average run metres (average fantasy points: 33.7) - 29 years old

+ Tevita Pangai Junior: 102 games, 16 tries, 108.5 average run metres (average fantasy points 48.5) - don't shoot the messenger, he was acquired as added depth - 25 years old

+ J'maine Hopgood: 5 games, 0 tries, 72 average run metres (average fantasy points 29) - 22 years old

+ Mitch Kenny (injured in the prelim): 36 games, 0 tries, 25 average run metres (average fantasy points 33.9) - 23 years old

+ Izack Tago: 6 games, 1 try, 59 average run metres (average fantasy points 24.8) - 19 years old

+ Morgan Boyle: 47 games, 1 try, 48 average run metres (average fantasy points 21.5) - 25 years old

Now, before you all laugh at the average fantasy points, I personally think there's validity in that, because it includes all statistics (defense, attack, errors etc). I will say I haven't included one game players for The Panthers. Where does Morgan rate (6 depth forwards in total)?

Games Played: 3rd most experienced from 6 players
Tries per game: 4th out of 6
Average run metres: 5th out of 6
Average fantasy points (including all stats): 6th out of 6

I'm sorry, but the development and value added by Olakau'atu, Schuster, Harper (who in my view burnt out with the rigors of their full season), along with Saab's first full year (also thought B Turbo was fantastic and should have been given more of a shot), really excited me, and think the skies the limits going forward.

We have a raft of quality junior depth. Heck, so do The Panthers, Eels, Bunnies. The games moved on from previous years. We need to become faster, more mobile, more explosive through the middle in both attack and defense.

I just think we have better alternatives, which of course is all moot, as they are signed here now, but I just wanted to share my opinion.
We have already promoted and retained the current crop of juniors Ola etc...the next crop is not quite ready and the ones who are close are locked up at the moment(Koula,Weekes,Tuitavake,Burbo,Sione is the only one still not signed).Who have we lost to re-sign our current players?I would be interested to know....Please don't quote Saddler and Funa.....(that would be stretching it)

We have already promoted and retained the current crop of juniors Ola etc...the next crop is not quite ready and the ones who are close are locked up at the moment(Koula,Weekes,Tuitavake,Burbo,Sione is the only one still not signed).Who have we lost to re-sign our current players?I would be interested to know....Please don't quote Saddler and Funa.....(that would be stretching it)
Honestly, in my opinion, we should be scouring :

QLD Cup
NSW Cup
New Zealand / Pacific Islands
Country Australia
Penrith Panthers Juniors
Souths Juniors

For 19-23 year Olds who have potential to play and adapt to the modern game. Fringe players. The next Steve Matai. Jamie Lyon.

The games moved on from Aaron Woods, type. It's become fast, explosive, energetic. The play the ball speeds are lightning. This is an area (in my opinion) we struggle.

So, does resigning a 30 year old Taufua, or a Morgan Boyle type help that farm or new game style ?

In my view, no. We need to be looking to the future. A one year deal is indicative of a band-aid

A balanced squad has plenty of players experienced at NRL level. It continues to surprise me whenever I hear the call for more youth, more untried 'possibles'.
As for scouring the rugby league universe to find the next Jamie Lyon, he's probably not a good example of finding hidden gems. Talent like that is not hidden. He was a Junior Kangaroo, then starred in NRL as a teenager, before being chosen in the Kangaroos as our youngest ever.

I think Boyle has at least as much potential as Sipley, they both have plenty to offer.

Jorge is in a different category, if he is used in NRL it probably wouldn't be on the wing. But to have a 10 year Sea Eagle like him has to be a plus, especially for the young guys in our squad such as Koula, Weekes and Tuipulotu. I was surprised Jorge was retained but not disappointed.

A balanced squad has plenty of players experienced at NRL level. It continues to surprise me whenever I hear the call for more youth, more untried 'possibles'.
As for scouring the rugby league universe to find the next Jamie Lyon, he's probably not a good example of finding hidden gems. Talent like that is not hidden. He was a Junior Kangaroo, then starred in NRL as a teenager, before being chosen in the Kangaroos as our youngest ever.

I think Boyle has at least as much potential as Sipley, they both have plenty to offer.

Jorge is in a different category, if he is used in NRL it probably wouldn't be on the wing. But to have a 10 year Sea Eagle like him has to be a plus, especially for the young guys in our squad such as Koula, Weekes and Tuipulotu. I was surprised Jorge was retained but not disappointed.
I doubt very much if Jorge has been retained to play , I bet he’s there as the “ Joe G” type of clubman , being a leader to the Polynesian players. Listing him in the 30 means the NRL pay him , not us!!

Honestly, in my opinion, we should be scouring :

QLD Cup
NSW Cup
New Zealand / Pacific Islands
Country Australia
Penrith Panthers Juniors
Souths Juniors

For 19-23 year Olds who have potential to play and adapt to the modern game. Fringe players. The next Steve Matai. Jamie Lyon.

The games moved on from Aaron Woods, type. It's become fast, explosive, energetic. The play the ball speeds are lightning. This is an area (in my opinion) we struggle.

So, does resigning a 30 year old Taufua, or a Morgan Boyle type help that farm or new game style ?

In my view, no. We need to be looking to the future. A one year deal is indicative of a band-aid
If your actually had a close look at our Flegg side this year you would realise we have scouted NZ, Penrith,South's,country NSW for talent at that age lol....we don't focus on Qld because there are too many fingers in the pie...Meredith,Aukusitino,Power,Moala,Oldham,Josefa,Jankovic are just a few names from the age group you are talking about.This is to go with the extensive search for talent at a younger age....

If your actually had a close look at our Flegg side this year you would realise we have scouted NZ, Penrith,South's,country NSW for talent at that age lol....we don't focus on Qld because there are too many fingers in the pie...Meredith,Aukusitino,Power,Moala,Oldham,Josefa,Jankovic are just a few names from the age group you are talking about.This is to go with the extensive search for talent at a younger age....

Perfect, thanks mate. Just got some shocking news, so will bow out, please don't think I'm being disrespectful not discussing that. I'll come back to it.

Would be interesting to know the behind the scenes stuff on Jorge especially.
Coming off an achilles injury and how hard we went for Saab he would've known he was coming back through ressies.
For their season to be halted and just train would be tough especially when the first grade wingers were scoring tries for fun, he'd have been thinking I've got no chance of getting my spot back.
He went to QLD in the relocation and seemed to be always around the squad so it's doesn't appear like he dropped his bundle despite not playing.
He and Sipley seem to be always smiling despite not playing much or at all so that's a good thing.

I'm glad that we retained him, club's these days are quick to move players on, I'm sure he's comfortable with what he's getting paid and what is expected of him.

Do I miss hoping that no one sends a bomb in his direction? NO
Do I want to see him scoring tries and rattling cages in first grade? Yes
Do I think he'll play first grade on the wing again? No
Do I know what role he can play in first grade? No

If he was happy to re-sign knowing what's ahead then I'm happy for him, the squad and the club.

Most years I am the one saying go with youth.
I'm not just bucking the trend, But not this year, DES has youth covered or our list is already young especially in forwards then Burbo, Tuipinuia, Kaola probably see game time next year.

The premiership window is now. Now's the time I want experience. The older, the wiser, the head with more speed then the legs.

Their value to our squad is now.

For the call for a squad of young blokes, cast your mind back to the golden period between 07 and 2011. There were certainly some journeymen or one-hit wonders in those squads that only played a handful of games.
Bradley-Qaliwala
Matt Cross
Terrance Seu Seu
David Vaeliki
Clint Halden
Jack Afamasaga
Phil Moorewood

Good info. And then of course the next age groups down we already have two of the strongest teams.

I'm looking forward to seeing Davey and Bullemor strengthening our forward pack next year. We need some workers in that pack. I'd actually like to see Walker and Schuster as our centers. I just don't see us winning a premiership with Foran, Parker, Harper at #6,#3,#4. If by some miracle we get Manase back then it's him at #9 with Croker #14. Bullemor #12. Olak #11. Bench Croker ,Taupau, Keppie, Davey. Starting props Oshay and Paseka who was a lot more effective starting than coming on after 20min

I just don't see us winning a premiership with Foran, Parker, Harper at #6,#3,#4.
No maybe not.
But today I saw extended highlights on fox of our round 8 (?) loss to the Panthers (the one that was quite close) and Harper had some really good touches in attack. He did get done by To'o of course, but he showed in several games he is a keen defender so I'm quite looking forward to what he shows next year with this experience behind him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7