National Anthem Fiasco at Allstars game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The whole thing last night just irked me.
The whole anthem/war dance thing took ages and is just boring and a whole bunch of grandstanding. It takes away from rugby league.

This grandstanding leads to these kind of anti-stunts like Cody Walker does. How original. Stand up for whatever anthem is played and show some respect for the institution that gives you your fine living by keeping you mouth shut. I truly abhor this grandstanding in sporting events.

I also think that the Australian national anthem is the most awful anthem and I wish we had something else, anything else. It sounds like play school to me, and was sung last night very poorly by one of the kids.

By the time all that rubbish was done last night I had lost enthusiasm for the footy game. We should be talking about the players and the history of indigenous culture not putting all these anthems and manufactured dances on. Quick Haka and let’s get on with it.

This ceremonial crap has a place somewhere else

NYEagle

The whole thing last night just irked me.
The whole anthem/war dance thing took ages and is just boring and a whole bunch of grandstanding. It takes away from rugby league.

This grandstanding leads to these kind of anti-stunts like Cody Walker does. How original. Stand up for whatever anthem is played and show some respect for the institution that gives you your fine living by keeping you mouth shut. I truly abhor this grandstanding in sporting events.

I also think that the Australian national anthem is the most awful anthem and I wish we had something else, anything else. It sounds like play school to me, and was sung last night very poorly by one of the kids.

By the time all that rubbish was done last night I had lost enthusiasm for the footy game. We should be talking about the players and the history of indigenous culture not putting all these anthems and manufactured dances on. Quick Haka and let’s get on with it.

This ceremonial crap has a place somewhere else

NYEagle

Thank you
Great post

Cody and Mal don’t like the national anthem and don’t think it represents their families or their people. So what should we have as our anthem? It should have been Waltzing Matilda but that boat’s sailed so I propose either Chisel’s Khe Sanh or Ganggajang’s This is Australia. If we go for Khe Sanh it would always have to be a recording of Jimmy at full volume. No impersonators.

Cody and Mal don’t like the national anthem and don’t think it represents their families or their people. So what should we have as our anthem? It should have been Waltzing Matilda but that boat’s sailed so I propose either Chisel’s Khe Sanh or Ganggajang’s This is Australia. If we go for Khe Sanh it would always have to be a recording of Jimmy at full volume. No impersonators.
well you could go Peter Allens 'When My Baby ...'sorry wrong one "I Still Call Australia Home" ... then again everyone thinks its a QANTAS advert

Wow, anyone who didn't realise the breadth and depth of racism in this country need only open this thread to be reminded.
I applaud Walker, and even give some credit to the NRL for featuring the story on their site. Playing national anthems before the game was foolish. Probably Greenberg's idea.

If you have an opinion that isn't politically correct, it's racism? The majority of Australians are very sorry for what has happened to Indigenous culture. If anything, we are going further away from reconciling, yet, there is a lot of things happening to bring both parties closer than ever before. Schools, especially, constantly promote Indigenous culture through the school curriculum and events for young children. Cody, in my opinion, just reminded us that we are even further apart and there is no way to fix that. We can change Australia day etc and have more Sorry events but I think Cody sums it up. It will never ever be right for him, whatever concessions/changes/stand up in parliament speeches are made.

Who gives a toss... You write your anthem, we'll keep ours, you keep your flag, we keep ours, we celebrate both together in peace and harmony, and jointly, we can move forward and get over ourselves... sheeeeshh...

I wonder if these players will feel the same way when they are paid handsomely to represent their state or country.

I agree Cody Walker and whoever has the right to stand up and exercise their beliefs no matter what the stage is, I just disagree with what they are trying to accomplish here.

Like someone else said, people have a right to protest etc so if that's how he feels about it then it's his choice to react how he wants.

The big issue from that game.......Billy Slater on the commentary team. It was enough for me to turn it off. Hearing him is worse than watching him play I reckon.

You are a fool, and exactly why we have such a problem with inclusion.
This is one of the least racist countries in the world!
You are a an example if the left wing dickheads that will ultimately ruin our great nation
Interesting, you seem to have taken my observation personally, though it wasn't directed at anyone in particular.
By the way, I don't claim to not be racist myself, though I try not to be.
What I'm referring to is that Indigenous people are on the lowest rung of Australian society, by pretty much every measure there is.
Do you not agree that is true?
Or maybe you agree it's true, but you think they deserve to be there.
Feel free to discuss. Or simply hurl hate comments if you prefer, it doesn't do you much credit though.

Wow, anyone who didn't realise the breadth and depth of racism in this country need only open this thread to be reminded.
I applaud Walker, and even give some credit to the NRL for featuring the story on their site. Playing national anthems before the game was foolish. Probably Greenberg's idea.
Haha... if u think a white guy is a grandstanding w*nker it's alright to voice your opinion but have the same opinion about an indig and your racist lol... I think if you are given something as a sign of respect than you should show the same respect and voice your political opinions in a forum that doesn't poorly impact upon your employer... black, white or orange, I can't stand self-important wankers that want to undermine the very organisation that is giving them a platform....

Like someone else said, people have a right to protest etc so if that's how he feels about it then it's his choice to react how he wants.

The big issue from that game.......Billy Slater on the commentary team. It was enough for me to turn it off. Hearing him is worse than watching him play I reckon.
Slater JT and Sam t all on channel 9
So glad I have fox and don’t have to listen to them this season

To me it’s time to move on, black, white , yellow , brindle who gives a ****, we are ALL Australian!!

100% mate :thumbsup:

This is what I hate about wank fest games like last night's. Lately, rather than celebrate the heritage and just enjoying the game its turned into nothing more than a platform for some people to do political grandstanding from.

As someone else said in this thread, just about all the talk today hasn't been about the game itself, its been about the culture based protesting that went on. Personally I wish they would actually scrap the game because its becoming less and less about the game itself. Its nothing more than a money spinner for the NRL which is quickly turning into a political bungfight that isn't doing anyone any good.

Typical Nein having Slater as a commentator.....another just to keep the Qld fans, and now Melbourne fans, happy.

But at least Slater can manage to string a coherent sentence together, unlike Lockyer who simply butchers the English language. And at least his voice isn't Elliot Goblet without the comedy like Johns (i.e. so monotone and boring that its beyond annoying).

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8