National Anthem Fiasco at Allstars game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Yes it was, instead of talking about how good the football was, on news.com.au and other feeds, we are reading stories about the protest. It should have only been about the football and celebrating culture.
ahh that would be it then ... I avoid newsfeeds ... I never know whats fakenews and what has some truth to it ... ..Peace

Regardless of which tune or song you choose our Indigenous protestors won’t be happy.

However, given it was an Indigenous v Maori game perhaps they should have dispensed with all anthems, surely the organisers could see that coming.

I didnt bother watching last night , even as starved for the game as I am because you just knew something like this would happen.

By the way I wouldn’t be opposed in any way to do what the Kiwi’s do, create a verse in Maori and sing that first.

Trouble is there isn’t one Indigenous language, so if you sing it in “ Kamilaroi” ( for example) the 500 other mobs would protest anyway.

To me it’s time to move on, black, white , yellow , brindle who gives a ****, we are ALL Australian!!

Mate . I am 66 years old and have followed the game all my life ....... I have travelled throughout Australia and stayed at Indigenous communties in the 60's. the 70's the 80's and the 90's ...... and I never heard of an indigenous war dance ..... maybe I never stayed at one of the language groups that had a war dance .... maybe it was secret business ...... either way .... I call bull's dust ...
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/68518326
You must have missed this in 1937 Woodsie @;)

I'm all for reconciliation and bridging the gap programs usually but this sort of got my goat a bit (a bit, I'm hardly ready to go postal or anything)....
In my mind the nrl has spent ****eloads creating and promoting this concept over many years to recognize the value of our indigenous participants and the NRL plays the national anthem b4 big games as a symbol of national pride.... if these players can't find a more appropriate platform to express their 'disgust' with the 'unfair' way that society has treated them than f*ck off back to the Koori cup and put their effort into building that competition from re-runs on NITV to a prime-time spectacle that showcases their own culture...
Rant over....

With the risk of offending our Indigenous community, what did you all think about the refusal to sing the National Anthem? Cody Walker the captain said that the National Anthem did not represent himself or his family.

Whilst I somewhat agree to have inclusion within our society and maybe we should change the anthem to something all Australians would be more happier with, this just my opinion on last night;

As the current National Anthem is our current National Anthem and the team does represent Australia by undertaking a protest as such not only showed disrespect to the game, it was a protest against Australia. The public event is not the venue for political statements. Whilst I support politically their view point they are representing not only themselves but our country.

I'd be saying if you do not respect the opportunity to represent the country then fine, don't play.
I wasn't born in this great country, unlike Cody Walker who was, yet the national anthem still brings a lump to my throat, even though I think we chose the wrong one, but that is a story for another day.
The Maoris sang their national anthem with feeling, however it's Walker's right to say what he feels .

"Before some of the game's toughest, quickest, most exciting exponents play a curtain-raiser to officially open the Rugby League World Cup, they plan to respond to the provocative haka by resurrecting a famous old tradition that died out in 1967 - the Aboriginal war cry.''

They used to do it before games when I was a boy .... pull your head in ...

https://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/story/818275/war-cry-a-source-of-pride-for-players/
you are not my moral barometer...I'm not here to pacify your values and beliefs. I thought the whole thing was pretty lame regardless. If you wanna position yourself above others because of your superiority complex, knock yourself out.

Mate . I am 66 years old and have followed the game all my life ....... I have travelled throughout Australia and stayed at Indigenous communties in the 60's. the 70's the 80's and the 90's ...... and I never heard of an indigenous war dance ..... maybe I never stayed at one of the language groups that had a war dance .... maybe it was secret business ...... either way .... I call bull's dust ...
All indigenous countries are different. As an indigenous man myself I back Cody in with not singing the national anthem. Why is the national anthem being sung anyway? It’s not a test match.

you are not my moral barometer...I'm not here to pacify your values and beliefs. I thought the whole thing was pretty lame regardless. If you wanna position yourself above others because of your superiority complex, knock yourself out.

you think that was a dummy spit & directed at you .... :shake:

you think that was a dummy spit & directed at you .... :shake:
i feel a bit different now that I know that it dates back a long way...I thought they made it up a couple of years ago to combat the haka and I thought it was silly to bother doing something like that. I stand corrected.

i feel a bit different now that I know that it dates back a long way...I thought they made it up a couple of years ago to combat the haka and I thought it was silly to bother doing something like that. I stand corrected.

so much crap around the spectacle and entertainment business associated with sporting events today it is easy to make that conclusion .... I always wondered why it was dropped ... I think there was an aboriginal cricket side that toured UK way back that performed the war cry before games ... anyway all good brother .... GO MANLY ...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8