National Anthem Fiasco at Allstars game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Supreme Leader

Uber L77T playa
With the risk of offending our Indigenous community, what did you all think about the refusal to sing the National Anthem? Cody Walker the captain said that the National Anthem did not represent himself or his family.

Whilst I somewhat agree to have inclusion within our society and maybe we should change the anthem to something all Australians would be more happier with, this just my opinion on last night;

As the current National Anthem is our current National Anthem and the team does represent Australia by undertaking a protest as such not only showed disrespect to the game, it was a protest against Australia. The public event is not the venue for political statements. Whilst I support politically their view point they are representing not only themselves but our country.

I'd be saying if you do not respect the opportunity to represent the country then fine, don't play.

That's the thing about all "protesters" not matter what the subject, they pick and choose what they want and protest the rest. It's a two way street with these things, give and take, meet halfway sort of thing. In this instance, Rugby League is doing a great job with this concept, both teams need be on board. It's not the place for protest, it's a place for promotion.

With the risk of offending our Indigenous community, what did you all think about the refusal to sing the National Anthem? Cody Walker the captain said that the National Anthem did not represent himself or his family.

Whilst I somewhat agree to have inclusion within our society and maybe we should change the anthem to something all Australians would be more happier with, this just my opinion on last night;

As the current National Anthem is our current National Anthem and the team does represent Australia by undertaking a protest as such not only showed disrespect to the game, it was a protest against Australia. The public event is not the venue for political statements. Whilst I support politically their view point they are representing not only themselves but our country.

I'd be saying if you do not respect the opportunity to represent the country then fine, don't play.

I wasn't aware of it ... but I defend his right to voice his opinion and protest ... I may not agree with him but I back his right ....

... and yet they are happy to take part in the most ridiculous culturally embarrassing "war dance" dreamed up by an LSD rattled pony-tailed marketing guru on an all night bender ......
Totally agree...that whole thing was cringe worthy.

It's not hard to see why these footballers keep getting themselves into trouble. The average IQ displayed by those boys last night was somewhere around single digits.

Fair enough, the Maori thing is a cultural pastime but to manufacture the Indigenous war dance in an attempt to intimidate the opposition was just stupid. It was arduous, awkward and boring. Latrell appearing in the centre (a la Greg Inglis) was contrived and the display of false masculinity made for uncomfortable viewing.

I have no issue with the boycott of the anthem because it represents something negative for their people. I love our indigenous people and their culture is wonderful, but footabllers attempting to manufacture some sort of war cry for the televsision companies is embarrassing to the culture.

The anthem has had its day. Young and free is offensive to indigenous people. They have the oldest continuous culture and they are not free, or at least don’t feel free in their own land. I don’t blame them for not singing it.

It’s only been the anthem since 1984. The song is from the 1870s (not 1700s as Mundine said), and represents a different time in our history.

Over the past decade Rugby League has spend a fortune in both time and money in a genuine desire to promote the role and status of Indiginous players and communities .....

... and on the night Rugby League is celebrating this mutually benefical relationship .... this dimwit pelican decides to pull a childish dummy spit ....

And PSS .... yes everybody has the right to protest .... just as I have the right to call his protest a self gratifying public wank .....

Over the past decade Rugby League has spend a fortune in both time and money in a genuine desire to promote the role and status of Indiginous players and communities .....

... and on the night Rugby League is celebrating this mutually benefical relationship .... this dimwit pelican decides to pull a childish dummy spit ....

And PSS .... yes everybody has the right to protest .... just as I have the right to call his protest a self gratifying public wank .....

never said you didn't share the right Woodsie

"Before some of the game's toughest, quickest, most exciting exponents play a curtain-raiser to officially open the Rugby League World Cup, they plan to respond to the provocative haka by resurrecting a famous old tradition that died out in 1967 - the Aboriginal war cry.''

They used to do it before games when I was a boy .... pull your head in ...

https://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/story/818275/war-cry-a-source-of-pride-for-players/

Mate . I am 66 years old and have followed the game all my life ....... I have travelled throughout Australia and stayed at Indigenous communties in the 60's. the 70's the 80's and the 90's ...... and I never heard of an indigenous war dance ..... maybe I never stayed at one of the language groups that had a war dance .... maybe it was secret business ...... either way .... I call bull's dust ...

I wasn't aware of it ... but I defend his right to voice his opinion and protest ... I may not agree with him but I back his right ....

I agree he can protest as much as he wants but not on my money. If wants to use a forum to protest to which the NRL has spent millions to acknowledge their cause, and publicly embarrass the event, then lets put those millions at grass roots and hold development camps for little kids.

Mate . I am 66 years old and have followed the game all my life ....... I have travelled throughout Australia and stayed at Indigenous communties in the 60's. the 70's the 80's and the 90's ...... and I never heard of an indigenous war dance ..... maybe I never stayed at one of the language groups that had a war dance .... maybe it was secret business ...... either way .... I call bull's dust ...

The pull your head in quote wasn't aimed at you Woodsie, your post just happened to be above mine so it might have seemed that way ... I remember playing a RU rep schoolboys game (5 stone 7 pound I think) for northern districts against an aboriginal team from north-west NSW ... they did a war dance ... I think it was 1961 or thereabouts ... it was the first time and very exotic for me

I agree he can protest as much as he wants but not on my money. If wants to use a forum to protest to which the NRL has spent millions to acknowledge their cause, and publicly embarrass the event, then lets put those millions at grass roots and hold development camps for little kids.

was the event embarrassed? ... as I said I wasn't even aware of it till you brought it up ... anyway I enjoyed the pre game ritual and the game itself ... turned it off at games end so maybe there was a discussion after the game ....

The pull your head in quote wasn't aimed at you Woodsie, your post just happened to be above mine so it might have seemed that way ... I remember playing a RU rep schoolboys game (5 stone 7 pound I think) for northern districts against an aboriginal team from north-west NSW ... they did a war dance ... I think it was 1961 or thereabouts ... it was the first time and very exotic for me

I didn't think it was .... I am just my usual friendly combative self ...... and not taking anything to heart .....

PSS .... 5 stone 7 lb .... I've had bigger hamburgers .....

was the event embarrassed? ... as I said I wasn't even aware of it till you brought it up ... anyway I enjoyed the pre game ritual and the game itself ... turned it off at games end so maybe there was a discussion after the game ....

Yes it was, instead of talking about how good the football was, on news.com.au and other feeds, we are reading stories about the protest. It should have only been about the football and celebrating culture.

I didn't think it was .... I am just my usual friendly combative self ...... and not taking anything to heart .....

PSS .... 5 stone 7 lb .... I've had bigger hamburgers .....

haha ... it was a few years back ... I was 10 or 11

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4