National Anthem Fiasco at Allstars game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I find it difficult to judge as I am not an indigenous person.

Who am I to judge what their experience is? To tell them what they should or should not do.....or how they should feel?

Maybe the fact that everyone is talking about it can be used as a starting point to deal with some of the issues that indigenous people feel.

I am always disappointed when sports is more about politics that sport. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I actually remember the referendum in 1977 for the national anthem. I was ten years old and a member of the Avalon Public School military band and our band was selected to play the songs that Australians were going to vote on for our national anthem, quite exciting for a ten year old kid. I personally loved Waltzing Matilda as it was the music that was the Manly club song at the time.

I do understand why some of the indigenous community do not relate to this anthem or Australia Day, I hope in time that as a country we can be together, shame that politics is what divides so many of us!

I'm all for reconciliation and bridging the gap programs usually but this sort of got my goat a bit (a bit, I'm hardly ready to go postal or anything)....
In my mind the nrl has spent ****eloads creating and promoting this concept over many years to recognize the value of our indigenous participants and the NRL plays the national anthem b4 big games as a symbol of national pride.... if these players can't find a more appropriate platform to express their 'disgust' with the 'unfair' way that society has treated them than f*ck off back to the Koori cup and put their effort into building that competition from re-runs on NITV to a prime-time spectacle that showcases their own culture...
Rant over....

There you go! I was trying hard to be politically correct, but I can say it is hard disagree my friend! Think the $'s are best spent elsewhere.

The anthem has had its day. Young and free is offensive to indigenous people. They have the oldest continuous culture and they are not free, or at least don’t feel free in their own land. I don’t blame them for not singing it.

It’s only been the anthem since 1984. The song is from the 1870s (not 1700s as Mundine said), and represents a different time in our history.
Sorry mate that is biggest pile of horse**** I’ve ever read.

That song represents a whole nation. I was offended by the whole concept of Friday’s game that was “all stars” but excluded anyone who wasn’t indigenous. As for Cody walker he can get stuffed. Why doesn’t he go and live in a remote aboriginal community if he is so against everything the Europeans have brought to this country. Imo Cody is a reserve grader trying to make a name for himself

If you have an opinion that isn't politically correct, it's racism? The majority of Australians are very sorry for what has happened to Indigenous culture. If anything, we are going further away from reconciling, yet, there is a lot of things happening to bring both parties closer than ever before. Schools, especially, constantly promote Indigenous culture through the school curriculum and events for young children. Cody, in my opinion, just reminded us that we are even further apart and there is no way to fix that. We can change Australia day etc and have more Sorry events but I think Cody sums it up. It will never ever be right for him, whatever concessions/changes/stand up in parliament speeches are made.
Be careful @Darren the lefty apologists won’t cop that, regardless of how spot on you got it.

Why the heck did they play the anthem before this game anyway?. Another lack of considered decision making. Everyone knows how strongly indigenous people reject the Australia Anthem and Australia Day celebrations, so lets have a brain explosion and play the Australian anthem before a exhibition match played by a team of our best indigenous players!.

Really not the appropriate occasion to be agitating for or promoting a personal agenda without also expressing some respect for the existing national cultural arrangements . Plenty of opportunities to express an opinion on such matters or other issues such as flags , national days or whatever , plenty of people from all walks of life already do as well and which they are more then entitled and have some justification to do but in more suitable forums . Really was diminishing the main purpose of the event and the positive recognition of cultures and identity whether from the Australian indigenous or for that matter Maori culture and identity . Personally only caught the last quarter and only for the footy on display and that is where the main focus should have been .

Really not the appropriate occasion to be agitating for or promoting a personal agenda without also expressing some respect for the existing national cultural arrangements . Plenty of opportunities to express an opinion on such matters or other issues such as flags , national days or whatever , plenty of people from all walks of life already do as well and which they are more then entitled and have some justification to do but in more suitable forums . Really was diminishing the main purpose of the event and the positive recognition of cultures and identity whether from the Australian indigenous or for that matter Maori culture and identity . Personally only caught the last quarter and only for the footy on display and that is where the main focus should have been .
What he said...

It was a nothing game to start with and again has provided us with nothing but nonsense. Time to scrap it. I'd much prefer watching the nines that having interest in a event that promotes segregation more than it does unity. The whole gig is one of racism any way u look at it
Yes,yes and yes. How good was the world 9s concept. Open to all countries,races,religions whatever. Now we get this restrictive concept which provides nothing but divide and political squabble. Another Turdy inspired fukup.

If you have an opinion that isn't politically correct, it's racism? The majority of Australians are very sorry for what has happened to Indigenous culture. If anything, we are going further away from reconciling, yet, there is a lot of things happening to bring both parties closer than ever before. Schools, especially, constantly promote Indigenous culture through the school curriculum and events for young children. Cody, in my opinion, just reminded us that we are even further apart and there is no way to fix that. We can change Australia day etc and have more Sorry events but I think Cody sums it up. It will never ever be right for him, whatever concessions/changes/stand up in parliament speeches are made.

Going forward, it will be impossible to have any sort of debate whilst ever the 'r' word is thrown around so frequently. The word is deliberately used to halt any form of meaningful debate. While ever this is the case, both sides will keep drifting further away from each other and frustrations will continue to simmer and, as history shows, things will probably not end well. Watching news/current affairs shows where a sensitive subject is being discussed, I am no longer surprised at just how early the 'r' word is thrown into the mix.

Yes,yes and yes. How good was the world 9s concept. Open to all countries,races,religions whatever. Now we get this restrictive concept which provides nothing but divide and political squabble. Another Turdy inspired fukup.

100% ... bring back the 7's with International wild cards .....

"Year after year, people have found more ways for the game not to be around" Campbell said.

Bet he was stoked that the players added political activism to the list... I do miss the 9's... why can't we have an indig side in a wider 9's comp?

Last edited:
Perhaps if the NRL wants to break the players down by race and put on games for commercial purposes we need a team included that celebrates white hereditary and its contribution to the game. Coen Hess could be captain. What would this team be called?

I have a fair idea. They'd be called the Racists.

The whole anthem thing will never be solved , whichever song / tune you pick it will be offensive to the small group of Indigenous radicals who push this agenda.

And as I said earlier no one chant / song / tune can fit all
Indigenous culture either.

The black fellas at Curl Curl might like one but the black fellas at Cronulla will hate it!

The Seekers , I am , you are, Australian is a beauty and gives the black fellas a run in the first verse BUT then it all goes to **** ( for them ).

So truly I think it doesn’t matter a ****, whatever is chosen , and by whomever chooses it will offend a certain 1-2% of the community and here we go again!!

The Imperialist Invaders...

Altho it wouldn't be a fair contest because they would get to make all the rules...

Last edited:
Perhaps if the NRL wants to break the players down by race and put on games for commercial purposes we need a team included that celebrates white hereditary and its contribution to the game. Coen Hess could be captain. What would this team be called?

I have a fair idea. They'd be called the Racists.

Maybe other Europeans wouldn't want to accept a captain of German heritage? No, you would have to go further. You could have a competition with about 100 different teams to keep everybody happy. As I am of Irish descent, I wouldn't want to be in a team with any players of English descent. You would definitely have to have teams such as Irish Australians, English Australians, Scottish Australians etc. This should unite the country, although I would be in competition with my wife as she would be supporting Lebanese Australia. Who would my children go for/play for? I give up!!!!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8