Manly v Panthers [Round 16 , 2018] - Pre-Game Discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Thats a very frustrating thing for mine.

I have seen game plans from us in some games. Then others it looks like we have literally not trained all week and met at the bus on game day.

Its Jekyll and Hyde.

Problem with game plans is that sometimes the bastards in the other team just won't go along with it ......... or because of penalties and errors you rarely get into the field position to execute ...... ie the first 3 sets of the 2nd half last week ...... game plan out the window ...

It is like all this business of repeat sets .... practise all you like .... if every 5th tackle is 30/40m out .... good luck ....

Problem with game plans is that sometimes the bastards in the other team just won't go along with it ......... or because of penalties and errors you rarely get into the field position to execute ...... ie the first 3 sets of the 2nd half last week ...... game plan out the window ...

It is like all this business of repeat sets .... practise all you like .... if every 5th tackle is 30/40m out .... good luck ....
We played a lot of the game from our own half. Errors & penalties at crucial times really screwed us up last week, as they have for the majority of the season. Not expecting any miracles but with Walker coming back and Fainu getting a go, we might start to see some enterprising play from our own half on tackles 3 & 4. That's what made us such a dangerous side last year.

YART time.....this is the team I would have gone with this weekend.

Tom Trbojevic
Jorge Taufua
Dylan Walker
Brian Kelly
Moses Suli
Trent Hodkinson
Daly Cherry-Evans
Addin Fonua-Blake
Manase Fainu
Martin Taupau
Joel Thompson
Shaun Lane
Jake Trbojevic

Tom Wright
Frank Winterstein
Taniela Paseka
Kelepi Tanginoa
Hmmmm...take Walkz and Fainu out and we have the same team that has lost the last four games.
Hodko at 5/8 is a greater liability then people realize.
Why on earth would you start him ?
If Baz can see that now he would know that other coaches can as well.
To be honest I think putting him on the bench is more a save face move.
TomW on the bench would have been better cover.
I hope Fainu goes well, but just can't see it, if he fails slot Dce in there and bring TomW
into half.
I believe Dce would be a sensation at dummy half he is fit enough, it's the perfect position to show his smarts, like grab easy metres, size the best side to attack and get our sets rolling.
He could be the next CS for Queensland.

We played a lot of the game from our own half. Errors & penalties at crucial times really screwed us up last week, as they have for the majority of the season. Not expecting any miracles but with Walker coming back and Fainu getting a go, we might start to see some enterprising play from our own half on tackles 3 & 4. That's what made us such a dangerous side last year.

yeah ... field position is king ....

not many teams include attacking moves from there own 15m line in their game plans ......

yeah ... field position is king ....

not many teams include attacking moves from there own 15m line in their game plans ......
Yeah nah, it's still DCE's and Barrett's fault. How dare they kick long for the sidelines from their own half?

That could explain why Matt Wright is on the bench. With Hastings gone and Brown injured, maybe Barrett had to include Matt on the bench to justify bringing Fainu in, as he is the last 'hooker' in the side.

Catching up on this thread now I’m home and with Internet ( it’s been a tough 3 weeks in the wilderness) and FMD it’s depressing reading this.

I’m thinking maybe I should return to the Bush where it’s less stressful!

Hmmmm...take Walkz and Fainu out and we have the same team that has lost the last four games.
Hodko at 5/8 is a greater liability then people realize.
Why on earth would you start him ?
If Baz can see that now he would know that other coaches can as well.
To be honest I think putting him on the bench is more a save face move.
TomW on the bench would have been better cover.
I hope Fainu goes well, but just can't see it, if he fails slot Dce in there and bring TomW
into half.
I believe Dce would be a sensation at dummy half he is fit enough, it's the perfect position to show his smarts, like grab easy metres, size the best side to attack and get our sets rolling.
He could be the next CS for Queensland.

And in those last four games.....other than Api for the first 15 minutes against the Warriors (during which time we led 8-0.....), have we had anything even resembling a decent dummy half? Remember our last game Hodko himself actually spent more than half the game playing out of dummy half.

I would like to see what the combo of Hodko and DCE could do with a decent dummy half in the side for more than 15 minutes. Though now we get at least a promising one and Barrett starts Hodko from the bench.

Like I said, I don't think Hodko is the answer, at least long term, but for now he is far and away the best we have for that organising role. Problem is Barrett is leaving that with DCE and as we all know he couldn't organise a root in a brothel let alone our attack.

But Hodkinson cant kick or tackle very well anymore or even kick a field goal from directly infront with very little pressure. He is a calm head though and great for the club when he isnt playing.

Wackos Whispers for our game. His mail wasn't great on the Warriors or Dragons game so take it as it is. I expect Marty will play, probably just reduced minutes, maybe more like 45-50 instead of 55-60. Can only see TGWH replacing Hooley Suli if he is still carrying effects of sternum injury.

Panthers vs Sea Eagles

Panthers have Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and James Fisher-Harris in some doubt after only returning late back from the Denver Test, final call will be made at Captain’s run on Friday as to whether they play. The only other concern is James Maloney who picked up a hand injury in Origin and if ruled out, I would expect Tyrone May to come into the halves to partner Nathan Cleary who is expected to play after Origin on Sunday night. Tyrone Peachey is also expected to back-up from Origin. Viliame Kikau trained with the squad during week and will return after missing last few weeks due to a knee injury. Sea Eagles have Martin Taupau in doubt after only returning to Sydney from the Denver Test on Thursday morning; Trent Barrett said on Wednesday night that Taupau was highly unlikely to play but a final call will be made at the Captain’s run on Friday. Dylan Walker will return from a fractured eye socket after training with the squad during the week. Manase Fainu is confirmed to make his NRL debut after Manly were granted an exemption due to Lewis Brown being out due to a shoulder injury. Only other potential change to 17 could be Tom Wright replacing Moses Suli at centre. Tom Trbojevic and Jake Trbojevic will both play after playing Origin last Sunday.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8