Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The purge is on!!

The better Robbo

Reaction score
The only thing I would change in that 1-7 would be, at this stage, Foz for Schuster. I know everyone goes on about Shoe and he does have talent, not doubting that. What he doesn't have is anywhere near Foz's level of experience.

Foz is a 12 year veteran of the NRL with 212 games under his belt and 21 tests for NZ. Shoe has played what, 65 minutes of first grade? Injury issues aside (and remember, Shoe got injured also so its not like he came through that one game unscathed), at this stage I'd have Foz at the #6 and Shoe probably in the #14.
And I think Storm showed us on the wknd how important it is to control a game, kick to corners and repeat sets. Not sure about Schuster's kicking game... his first game kicking was fairly poor and I still think he'd be better suited starting off bench or 13, this takes the pressure off having to control a game but still gets his hands on the ball enough to show us his skills.

Kevinward777

Reaction score
And I think Storm showed us on the wknd how important it is to control a game, kick to corners and repeat sets. Not sure about Schuster's kicking game... his first game kicking was fairly poor and I still think he'd be better suited starting off bench or 13, this takes the pressure off having to control a game but still gets his hands on the ball enough to show us his skills.
Perfect 13... Jake to prop.

HoldenV8

Reaction score

Shoe's kicking game was good, though his inexperience did show when he started to get a bit short kick happy rather than putting the ball through the hands. But, he'll learn.

Perfect 13... Jake to prop.

I'd love to see Jake moved to prop, but after thinking about it, would playing Shoe in the forwards really be a good thing? Or will the extra workload, especially in defence because if he's a lock he'll be in the middle of the park, blunt his talent a little in that he wouldn't see the ball on the edges as often as he probably should. Remembering that with both DCE and Foz in the halves, the lock probably won't be at first receiver as much as we've seen with Jake.

If Shoe was to be in the starting 13, at this stage I'd honestly be more tempted to play him in the 2nd row where he would be closer to the edges and could use his skills more, still move Jake to prop, and play Siro at lock.

Although being realistic, Des won't move either Jake or Siro while Paseka has been pretty much rubber stamped as having first crack at the vacant front row spot and the same with Jetski for the back row.

Shoe1

Reaction score
Shoe's kicking game was good, though his inexperience did show when he started to get a bit short kick happy rather than putting the ball through the hands. But, he'll learn.

I'd love to see Jake moved to prop, but after thinking about it, would playing Shoe in the forwards really be a good thing? Or will the extra workload, especially in defence because if he's a lock he'll be in the middle of the park, blunt his talent a little in that he wouldn't see the ball on the edges as often as he probably should. Remembering that with both DCE and Foz in the halves, the lock probably won't be at first receiver as much as we've seen with Jake.

If Shoe was to be in the starting 13, at this stage I'd honestly be more tempted to play him in the 2nd row where he would be closer to the edges and could use his skills more, still move Jake to prop, and play Siro at lock.
There are a few different approaches these days with lock. Murray seems to play a more traditional lock role - he's not an extra prop. Other teams like cowboys & Manly basically have a prop at lock.

I think for the new faster game it works better to have a creative player at lock.

In terms of defence, halves have to do plenty of tackling anyway these days.

HoldenV8

Reaction score
There are a few different approaches these days with lock. Murray seems to play a more traditional lock role - he's not an extra prop. Other teams like cowboys & Manly basically have a prop at lock.

I think for the new faster game it works better to have a creative player at lock.

In terms of defence, halves have to do plenty of tackling anyway these days.

I'm glad Des is coaching the side and not me lol.

eagleron

Reaction score
The more I hear of this the more I think Walker will be purged. If he wants to dummy spit at playing centre than move him on and use his money elsewhere... maybe Fusitua, Funa to centre
Chez, Schuster, Funa, Suli, Saab, Fusitua. Now that's a backline
We're getting bugger all value out of him, as much as I like the bloke when he's on his game i think the money could be better spent on
Don't forget we've got an entire off season to educate Schuster in the finer art of playing 6, with input from Foran he will be an even better player in 2021, from what he showed in 60 minutes of football I reckon we've got plenty to be excited about

The better Robbo

Reaction score
Not the first halfback time ever make the switch either , who knows could be a revelation.
I said mid way through last year Cust would make a much better hooker than 5/8. His running game and off the cuff instincts would suit hooker perfectly. I think he will be dynamic and also offers a short kicking game from hooker which we've been missing. He would play a similar role to Fainu, both have the ability to jump out both sides and keep the defence guseeing and certainly has a strong running game through the middle

Harry Smith

Reaction score
nearly all hookers these days were originally a half. Cust has the right build for it. Not 100% sure he has the smarts. Let’s hope so.
True, Cust might actually do ok at dummy half. Bit risky though. Would like us to try sign maybe Freddy Lussick if we are going to choose to use Cust as one of the main dummy half options, just as a backup or alternative if it doesn't go so good. Roosters have 3 good dummy halfs in Friend, Lussick and Verrills, while Verrills is the best Lussick would be cheap and has potential.

Wombat64

I'm no Canadian sunset .....
Premium Member
Reaction score
I quite like , Jake to Prop, Shoe to Lock, Foran to 5/8.

BUT who the **** is then the Hooker.......Froggy??? Please tell me that’s not all we have to look forward to in 2021.
Nah, we've also got either the Storm or Roosters in the GF again to look forward to...... NRL script writers also know that Parra probably needs to be there next year.

BOZO

The Incomparable Immortal Bob Fulton
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nah, we've also got either the Storm or Roosters in the GF again to look forward to...... NRL script writers also know that Parra probably needs to be there next year.
That is not the right attitude feathered friend .....
There is no NRL script and conspiracy
We are in charge of our own destiny
If we dont drop the ball and miss tackles
and
*take the wrong options on the field and off the field *
Our club will will be there next year winning another title

BOZO

The Incomparable Immortal Bob Fulton
Premium Member
Reaction score
I quite like , Jake to Prop, Shoe to Lock, Foran to 5/8.

BUT who the **** is then the Hooker.......Froggy??? Please tell me that’s not all we have to look forward to in 2021.
Foran is smart player and a great competitor .
I have never seen Foran fail at hooker. Have you feathered friend ?

Members online

Latest posts

2020 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 20 18 1 1 299 37
2 Storm 20 16 0 4 258 32
3 Eels 20 15 0 5 104 30
4 Roosters 20 14 0 6 230 28
5 Raiders 20 14 0 6 128 28
6 Rabbitohs 20 12 0 8 169 24
7 Knights 20 11 1 8 47 23
8 Sharks 20 10 0 10 0 20