Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The purge is on!!

Nordburg

It worries me that we seem to be standing still. Understandable if we were a top 4 team, but we aren't. The Broncos won't be down for too much longer, either.
Not sure what you’re expecting in regards to signings given the $$$ tied up in certain players.I suspect we’re going to see more of the younger players come through and get a chance next season,rather than any high profile signings.Much better to bring the young,”local”players through than paying overs for outsiders.Panthers are a perfect example this season

Shane4500

Not sure what you’re expecting in regards to signings given the $$$ tied up in certain players.I suspect we’re going to see more of the younger players come through and get a chance next season,rather than any high profile signings.Much better to bring the young,”local”players through than paying overs for outsiders.Panthers are a perfect example this season
There will be a handful of signings - hold on to your reg grundies for goodness sakes. But if you are expecting us to sign Grant or AFB - oh hold on he just left or Munster or Taumalolo well you are going to be um.......... disappointed. Yes we will bring through Fainu, Guacamole, Burbo to go with Schuster but there will be a few nice lower market additions I am sure

Moops

Blacktown juniors or Manly juniors?
Just clarifying. Anyways, I guess one of us will be right next year.

Moops

The season is longer and factoring in SOO, moves will be happening between clubs well into December/New Year.

Don’t take the fact that the only moves so far are that of Foz and Davey to mean much, you can guarantee that conversations are ongoing and it is a case of the club keeping their powder dry from AFB etc as opposed to sitting on their hands mate.
We shall see...

The Who

Premium Member
The 'Riff has shown that you don't need 'big' signings to be successful. However, they do seem to have excellent recruitment in country regions of NSW whereas I doubt Manly has the manpower to scout as widely.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Triggered Boomer”
Premium Member
The 'Riff has shown that you don't need 'big' signings to be successful. However, they do seem to have excellent recruitment in country regions of NSW whereas I doubt Manly has the manpower to scout as widely.
It’s all about a network of spotters , that’s how Crusher used to do it but I fear he’s old and lazy these days.

Shoe1

Or keeping guys from the nyc premiers for 5 years. Did you see the article which listed the Penrith 2015 winners that are now in their first grade team?

Of course, we won in 2017, so we have a couple of years to wait to see our winners blossom properly. We have retained fainu, Titmus, funa, cust, haumole, Kioa, Anderson and paseka from this team, and added keppie who played for parra in that GF.

so exciting times ahead.

Last edited:

Mark from Brisbane

“ Triggered Boomer”
Premium Member
Or keeping guys from the nyc premiers for 5 years. Did you see the article which listed the Penrith 2015 winners that are now in their first grade team?

Of course, we won in 2017, so we have a couple of years to wait to see our winners blossom properly. We have retained fainu, Titmus, funa, cust, haumole, Kioa, Anderson and paseka from this team, and added keppie who played for parra in that GF.

so exciting times ahead.
Unless you are one of the favs you can’t afford to buy a side so bringing juniors through looks to be the only option.

Scorpio

Armchair Expert

so exciting times ahead.
Might be worth pointing out that from our 2015 Holden Cup GF side we only have Tom left.

I think it was a missed opportunity especially when we didn't keep Jesse Ramien, Luke Garner, Nicho Hynes and others.

But hopefully the core of our 2017 winning squad will be with us (and stay on the park) for a while.

Harry Smith

Might be worth pointing out that from our 2015 Holden Cup GF side we only have Tom left.

I think it was a missed opportunity especially when we didn't keep Jesse Ramien, Luke Garner, Nicho Hynes and others.

But hopefully the core of our 2017 winning squad will be with us (and stay on the park) for a while.
Ramien was a missed bullet
Hynes goes good but isn't a mesiah, same as Garner

I don't think it's anything to jump off a cliff about although agree Hynes and Garner would've at least been nice to keep

The Who

Premium Member

Liam Knight was the standout member of that 2015 team.
Can't blame the club not retaining him though after his 'fly spray' incident. But the clubs that take the high moral ground with players, such as Knight, are often penalised when another club recruits the 'Bad Boy' and gains on-field success from him.
The better the player the greater rope they are given to transgress.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Triggered Boomer”
Premium Member

It’s hard to keep the all but criminal when the good ones are let go!!

Shoe1

The lesson from Penrith is that it takes 5 years for many of them to be quality first graders. I don't think manly (barrett) was patient with blokes like Hynes and Garner.

It is a rare player (eg Tom) that can go straight from under 19s to first grade and shine.

madmax

The lesson from Penrith is that it takes 5 years for many of them to be quality first graders. I don't think manly (barrett) was patient with blokes like Hynes and Garner.

It is a rare player (eg Tom) that can go straight from under 19s to first grade and shine.
Schuster next!

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
Ramien was a missed bullet
Hynes goes good but isn't a mesiah, same as Garner

I don't think it's anything to jump off a cliff about although agree Hynes and Garner would've at least been nice to keep
Not saying we would have won a premiership with them, and some of those guys wouldn't have played first grade for several years anyway, but it would have been good if we kept them in our system (provided they wanted to stay).

Mark from Brisbane

“ Triggered Boomer”
Premium Member
Not saying we would have won a premiership with them, and some of those guys wouldn't have played first grade for several years anyway, but it would have been good if we kept them in our system (provided they wanted to stay).
Or we can be like the Rorters, zero juniors and just buy everyone else's!!

StuBoot

Premium Member

Interesting though from that year -2015 - they only had one player make the NYC Team of the Year and he was on the bench, Brent Naden.
Kikau played for the Cowboys and Pangai Jnr was a Raider and Addo-Carr was a Shark.
Tom effectively carried us in 2015.

Also got to remember our 2017 NYC side came 8th so effectively had a good month to win it.
We didn't have any make the team of the year.
5 of the GF squad have gone onto play 1st Grade but none are what you'd call superstars.

StuBoot

Premium Member
Or we can be like the Rorters, zero juniors and just buy everyone else's!!
Not defending the Roosters here but delving through the archives quite a few players changed clubs in NYC.
Did you know that Paseka played for us in 15 but the Tigers in 16? Either did I.
I'm sure the Sharks can lay claim to Ramien as coming through their system even though he played 2 1/2 seasons for us. Six months later he debuts in 1st grade.

Members online

2020 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 20 18 1 1 299 37
2 Storm 20 16 0 4 258 32
3 Eels 20 15 0 5 104 30
4 Roosters 20 14 0 6 230 28
5 Raiders 20 14 0 6 128 28
6 Rabbitohs 20 12 0 8 169 24
7 Knights 20 11 1 8 47 23
8 Sharks 20 10 0 10 0 20
9 Titans 20 9 0 11 -117 18