The Kieran Forum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

How long will Foran last?

• 1 month

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • 2months

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • 3months

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • 4months

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 5months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6months

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Has the best season since 2011

Votes: 42 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're right. Foran at his best is better than Cust, Croker or Walker, though Cust may become something as the years pass.

But what I've seen of Foran of late, is comparable to Green, but with injury issues that should worry anyone signing him a la Watmough. Watmough was one of the best forwards I've seen play for Manly and went to the Eels on that top reputation and he'd only just turned 31 when he left Manly. Had suffered a string of injuries, still managing to get on the field. Was it a wise signing for the Eels? Played 17 games and was shot at Parra. They were lucky with the pre existing injury issue being 'overlooked'. Unlikely to happen with Foran.

Foran was a great player, no doubt, and fit he's worthy of signing. Personally, and I know I'll be howled down, but we have a kid called Schuster who may be just be as good as Foran at his peak if not better. It would be a poor business decision to lose him because we instead put our hopes on past memories, and I doubt Foran would sign for less than $400,000 a year given he's already knocked back a figure only slightly smaller at the Dogs. Can we afford to risk losing young talent for that short term solution?

They said they cant afford him

My take after reading all the back and forth.

Foran was a great player. And still has something to offer.
But signing him on a 3 year deal would be as dumb as the Slime signing Choc.

We've all got great memories of him and what he bought to our team. But I don't think signing him is a smart move. Look to our young guys and bring them through.

I hear it said...."Do you know why your eyes are in the front of your head ? Because you're not meant to look backwards. Look forwards. It's where you're heading." And I agree. We need to look to the future even though Foran might be able to add something short term.

The funniest thing is that people on here think they know what's going on with our salary cap. Every post regarding it is just pure conjecture. We have enough money / we don't have enough money. Truth is nobody has the slightest idea but will use their best guesstimates and mechanics of it to form and base their opinion around lol... but in saying that I think we can sign whoever we want because the money is there if the club wants it to be.
It’s always been the way mate.....not one person in Silvertails world knows anything about the clubs salary cap or finances. We can speculate as much as we want regarding what player is on what salary or what they’re worth but in the end we know jack$hit! All I know is what is written in the media & even then I don’t believe it!

It’s always been the way mate.....not one person in Silvertails world knows anything about the clubs salary cap or finances. We can speculate as much as we want regarding what player is on what salary or what they’re worth but in the end we know jack$hit! All I know is what is written in the media & even then I don’t believe it!
Yeah hard..
I reckon the media over exaggerate figures.
Can't trust media in any form or type.
Mostly pushing propaganda and agendas for the powers that be

Last edited:
Thing is if we sign Foran for 2-3 years and he gets injured and cant play on, it doesn't hurt him. Of course he wants the security because he's assured of payment. But the club loses out.
I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR SIGNING HIM BUT a poster came up with a pretty decent suggestion the other day (apologies for not recalling who) that I thought was pretty good...
IF WE DID sign him you could clause it that should he need to medically retire or when he is injured for extended periods he fulfills an assistant coaching role in lieu of playing... he has mad skills that I am sure Schuster, Cust and whoever else stays will benefit from...
Once again, in case it is confusing, I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR SIGNING HIM...

Yeah hard..
I reckon the media over exaggerate figures.
Can't trust media in any form or type.
Mostly pushing propaganda and agendas
I kind of get the feeling the club knows who they’re after for next year & will part ways with a number of players to accommodate him. As I understand we have 6 players off contract in 2020....Hoppa who I think will resign, Elliott & Thompson off to UK.....T Rex, Metcalf & Levi May be released.

I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR SIGNING HIM BUT a poster came up with a pretty decent suggestion the other day (apologies for not recalling who) that I thought was pretty good...
IF WE DID sign him you could clause it that should he need to medically retire or when he is injured for extended periods he fulfills an assistant coaching role in lieu of playing... he has mad skills that I am sure Schuster, Cust and whoever else stays will benefit from...

Interesting proposal Frank. Not sure of how that would fit with the way the NRL work with contracts. I dont think it would pass scrutineers because it would create a loop hole every club would then manipulate. Imagine half a dozen assistant coaches because of players injuries finally taking their toll mid way through a contract. Interesting idea and if outside of the NRL structure would be a good out. Just dont think the NRL would accept it regarding their attitude to the pre-existing injury scenario.

I kind of get the feeling the club knows who they’re after for next year & will part ways with a number of players to accommodate him. As I understand we have 6 players off contract in 2020....Hoppa who I think will resign, Elliott & Thompson off to UK.....T Rex, Metcalf & Levi May be released.
Yeah there is no doubt des has a plan, I feel like we probably already have made some signings but are keeping the announcements to a later date

Interesting proposal Frank. Not sure of how that would fit with the way the NRL work with contracts. I dont think it would pass scrutineers because it would create a loop hole every club would then manipulate. Imagine half a dozen assistant coaches because of players injuries finally taking their toll mid way through a contract. Interesting idea and if outside of the NRL structure would be a good out. Just dont think the NRL would accept it regarding their attitude to the pre-existing injury scenario.
You're probably right but I am not sure coaches have the same minimum contracts and it is a way of ensuring that injuries dont prematurely curtail the careers of top players unnecessarily... as I said, I cant claim credit for the idea but I feel it has merit - whether it clears the scrutineers well who knows... probs not if they take the Glenn stewart approach but maybe if they take the Ricky Leutele approach...

Fair enough but do you WANT to sign him ? :p

$300k for 2 years plus a handshake with Des about a coaching role after he retires seems like the deal to be done here imo. If that isn’t good enough let him go.
Though I dont care if he signs, at 150K per season ( is this what your saying ?) No club would not sign him for that ! Go get him, but I doubt he would accept 300k for 2 years.

Though I dont care if he signs, at 150K per season ( is this what your saying ?) No club would not sign him for that ! Go get him, but I doubt he would accept 300k for 2 years.
Fox Sports reported he knocked back one year @$450,000 Inc bonus's.
I don't think he'd take $300 per year over 2 yr

• 🤝
Reactions: Ned
$300k for 2 years plus a handshake with Des about a coaching role after he retires seems like the deal to be done here imo. If that isn’t good enough let him go.
I agree though i think 350k for 2 years is more realistic. 3 years is too long if he did come for 2 years and stayed fit and kept playing well we could extend him then.
I like the idea of him in a coaching role his experience would be great for the young players. They would of watched him play and can see how tough he is. Great idea.. maybe he can teach dce how to manage a game and get repeat sets ;)

There is absolutely no chance he would play for $150k py

have you seen the size of his extended family ......and he’d be paying maintenance to his ex.

just sayin’

Fox Sports reported he knocked back one year @$450,000 Inc bonus's.

Do you have a link to that?

All the press I read said the offer was $300k or $300k-$400k for 1 year. If that’s right I think he’d take what I suggested.

Keep in mind the Bulldogs offer isn’t even on the table any more anyway, and I think the reported interest from Knights and Tigers is overblown (if not totally false).

There is absolutely no chance he would play for $150k py

have you seen the size of his extended family ......and he’d be paying maintenance to his ex.

just sayin’

Haha, yes I dont believe he would either, I was just asking what MadMarcus meant when he posted 300k for 2 years.
and if he meant above then every club would want to sign him for that !!! he didn't though.

I agree though i think 350k for 2 years is more realistic. 3 years is too long if he did come for 2 years and stayed fit and kept playing well we could extend him then.
I like the idea of him in a coaching role his experience would be great for the young players. They would of watched him play and can see how tough he is. Great idea.. maybe he can teach dce how to manage a game and get repeat sets ;)

No question experience and teaching has its value and just maybe at a sufficiently low price for one year I would take him. But no more.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8