The Kieran Forum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

How long will Foran last?

• 1 month

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • 2months

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • 3months

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • 4months

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 5months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6months

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Has the best season since 2011

Votes: 42 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Foran is an elite player Mave. I'm referring generally to rugby league players who maybe make first grade or reserves and end up earning about $150,000 a year. The average first grader earns about $300,000, but that's average, there are many above and many below. And there are many more who play lower division. The average length of a career is 7 years. Though many are in it much longer, many either don't make the grade or they retire because of an injury too severe to continue in the game. And we are here speaking of the cream of the game. The very best in the game would earn nothing close to the best tradespeople who own businesses and employ large staff. Frankly RL like most sports in Australia are only profitable for the very few who are the best. If they were earning $10 million a season like American sports and international soccer, its a different story

Sorry, I could have sworn I was in a Foran thread.

If you wish to discuss average 1st grade players, and their woes, then I'm happy to take it to the appropriate thread, and probably agree with you.

Danny the Worm has the latest on Foz

Faith from Foran
We keep getting told that Kieran Foran has really bought in to the Bulldogs’ off-season – doing everything his body needs to get back to his best after an injury-interrupted run. It’s a show of faith from Foran in the club, given they were hoping to move him on to free up space in their salary cap.

Apparently "training the house down" - LOL
They would've loved to have moved him on, however no other club wanted him.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...k/news-story/21d26f0ad3f9ceeb7f20a944fdd8b244

Tl;Dr :

According to Bulldogs CEO:
- He has to manage back problems for the rest of his career
- He has missed a few training sessions in the past week as he had a hamstring strain
- 'Should get some game time' in the Dogs' only trial match
- Other than all of the above, he "Has done everything asked of him"

Daily Telegraph said:
Kieran Foran has been to hell and back on and off the field in the last three years. But after playing a total of 38 games since leaving Manly in 2015, the now 28-year-old is ready to re-emerge in 2019 and prove he is not a spent force in the NRL.

That is the verdict from Canterbury chief executive Andrew Hill who has revealed the club’s marquee playmaker remains on track to start the season despite suffering a recent hamstring strain.

Hill said Foran had missed a couple of training sessions during the past week. But that should not stop him from playing in the club’s only top grade trial against Canberra on February 23. “I am sure Kieran will get some game time,” Hill said in relation to the trial against the Raiders in Bega. “He had a slight hamstring strain the last week. What remains of Kieran Foran? “But apart from that he has been to every session doing everything that has been asked of him. He has been very good. “He has trained really well, probably his best off season for many years in terms of getting his body right.”

On a reported $1.2 million a season with two years left to run on his Canterbury contract, this will be a make or break year for the former New Zealand skipper. After debuting for Manly in 2009 under Des Hasler, Foran’s career fell apart after leaving the Sea Eagles. He only played nine games for Parramatta in 2016 and 17 for the Warriors in 2018. Foran only lasted 12 games in 2018 before a toe injury ended his season. He also underwent wrist surgery last year and it’s no secret Foran will also have to continue managing a back problem for the rest of his career, while his hamstring issues also have been ongoing.

Foran has endured a difficult time since leaving Manly. But at his best Foran is undoubtedly one of the bravest and best players in the comp. And how he performs this year will go a long way to determining the team’s overall success, with the Bulldogs the TAB’s $3.50 favourites to claim the wooden spoon.

“It is a big year for all of us but he is obviously important to us,” Hill added. “He will be looking to have a really strong year personally, no doubt.” Foran has deliberately kept himself out of the spotlight in recent years but Hill said he was committed to taking on a leadership role with young halves partners Lachlan Lewis and new recruit Jack Cogger.

“We have some good young halves with Lachie and Jack Cogger and there is that challenge for him to be a real leader for us,” Hill said. Foran is on close to $1.2 million a season. “He obviously had his surgeries middle-to-late last year and he has had plenty of time to recover. “He is training really well and working really well with the other halves.”

After the salary cap struggles of last year, Hill said the club had now finalised its 30-man roster after handing the final spot to young centre Morgan Harper. The club has lost a stack of experience but Hill was confident the club was back heading in the right direction.

“We continue to work hard and make tough decisions that are in the best interest of the club,” Hill said. “It is still a work in progress. We are a lot better than where we were.”

Mercifully Des got him a sweet $4 million deal before he got punted, because I honestly think he will be medically retired before the end of his contract.

Last edited:
Sorry, I could have sworn I was in a Foran thread.

If you wish to discuss average 1st grade players, and their woes, then I'm happy to take it to the appropriate thread, and probably agree with you.

I was not talking about average footballers. I was talking about footballers in general...and surprise Foran is one.

I was not talking about average footballers. I was talking about footballers in general...and surprise Foran is one.

Yes he is one, who has earnt enough $ to never have to use his broken body to make $ ever again, if he so chose.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...k/news-story/21d26f0ad3f9ceeb7f20a944fdd8b244

Tl;Dr :

According to Bulldogs CEO:
- He has to manage back problems for the rest of his career
- He has missed a few training sessions in the past week as he had a hamstring strain
- 'Should get some game time' in the Dogs' only trial match
- Other than all of the above, he "Has done everything asked of him"

Mercifully Des got him a sweet $4 million deal before he got punted, because I honestly think he will be medically retired before the end of his contract.

Sure, he can be retired before his contract expires, that is a matter between him and his club, however his injury history is as long as your arm and there is no way he can be medically retired and approved of by the NRL, they can't possibly get salary cap relief for him.if he does, the only way that can happen if he ends up having a career ending catastrophic injury unrelated to his other injuries.

Sure, he can be retired before his contract expires, that is a matter between him and his club, however his injury history is as long as your arm and there is no way he can be medically retired and approved of by the NRL, they can't possibly get salary cap relief for him.if he does, the only way that can happen if he ends up having a career ending catastrophic injury unrelated to his other injuries.
Such as injuring himself in a try scoring celebration, and we know those days are well past him.

So it can’t be an injury to his knees, hammies, back, wrist or toe then...

Yes he is one, who has earnt enough $ to never have to use his broken body to make $ ever again, if he so chose.

Mave I ask you this. Would you prefer to be a top footballer with maybe a decade of success, or a tradie business man with a business that will earn you a good living for decades. Footballers in Australia are gladiators without the lions and swords. We are thrilled to watch them tear into each other week after week, regularly suffering bruising, bleeding, injuries that they just cope with by way of pain killers to ensure they get on the field to earn a buck. We cheer when one of our forwards knocks an opposition player senseless, jeer because the ref penalises for a head high tackle that possibly breaks a nose, and occasionally a jaw, ooo and aah when a player hits a ball carrier who is already tackled side on jerking their knee joints out or breaking ankles. Yeh its an easy way to make a buck. Give me a plumbers job any day.

I've had an advantage to meet some not so successful sportspeople in heavy contact sports years later. One I remember from kick boxing was obviously brain damaged. Others have faces like clay portraits. Its a hard life and only the smartest succeed in moving on to a less physically demanding job, before their body fails them. Many come from poor backgrounds trying to live the good life. Many don't make it ending up drunks and drug addicts. Meanwhile we sit in the stand either raising or dropping our thumbs, assessing the virtues of the last play.

Mave I ask you this. Would you prefer to be a top footballer with maybe a decade of success, or a tradie business man with a business that will earn you a good living for decades. Footballers in Australia are gladiators without the lions and swords. We are thrilled to watch them tear into each other week after week, regularly suffering bruising, bleeding, injuries that they just cope with by way of pain killers to ensure they get on the field to earn a buck. We cheer when one of our forwards knocks an opposition player senseless, jeer because the ref penalises for a head high tackle that possibly breaks a nose, and occasionally a jaw, ooo and aah when a player hits a ball carrier who is already tackled side on jerking their knee joints out or breaking ankles. Yeh its an easy way to make a buck. Give me a plumbers job any day.

I've had an advantage to meet some not so successful sportspeople in heavy contact sports years later. One I remember from kick boxing was obviously brain damaged. Others have faces like clay portraits. Its a hard life and only the smartest succeed in moving on to a less physically demanding job, before their body fails them. Many come from poor backgrounds trying to live the good life. Many don't make it ending up drunks and drug addicts. Meanwhile we sit in the stand either raising or dropping our thumbs, assessing the virtues of the last play.
I would prefer to be a top footballer like beaver who played for 20 years relatively injury free, with a few years of ridiculous super league bidding war money thrown in.

And I’d prefer to win the 95, 97 and 07 grand finals too.

If he had half a brain, Foran could be in a position to never have to use his body to earn $ again
I'm sure he does have half a brain that could do this. Problem is the other half of his brain whisked the money away and bet it on the nags before the first half could lock it away.

Choc Twatnow and the Squeels: “hold my beer”

I would prefer to be a top footballer like beaver who played for 20 years relatively injury free, with a few years of ridiculous super league bidding war money thrown in.

And I’d prefer to win the 95, 97 and 07 grand finals too.

Beaver was a rare beast Mave. Like I said some got out with other options before their body gave out. But check what reasonably good trade people earn. And these aren't the wealthy ones who own businesses. After twenty years without serious injuries, I think these guys live better
https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...r/news-story/4fee7c5920ff4624e53c5ca20f99e3cb

So it can’t be an injury to his knees, hammies, back, wrist or toe then...
He'll use the mental health route as no one would dare challenge that.

Fiz' self harm attempts are well documented along with stints in facilities even whilst at Manly @:cool:

Hard to see him play for another 3 years.

Beaver was a rare beast Mave. Like I said some got out with other options before their body gave out. But check what reasonably good trade people earn. And these aren't the wealthy ones who own businesses. After twenty years without serious injuries, I think these guys live better
https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...r/news-story/4fee7c5920ff4624e53c5ca20f99e3cb
I agree with you, most of us can’t be beaver.

I know a good businessman tradie who has made 10x what I have. And I do ok, highly educated in a responsible job. Good luck to them.

For every good one there may be plenty who eke out a basic level though.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the kid.

I feel sorry for him as well, he gave his best for us, and we can't ask any more than that, and he was pivotal to our premiership charge in 2011, it's not his fault that the Slime offered him such a ridiculous deal that he had no option but to accept it.
But it's clear to everyone in the game that his best years are way gone, privately, the Dogs would love to move him on as they know they won't get value for money from him, however publicly, they continuously trot out the line that they've just about got his body right now and he's ready to be unleashed, yeah right!.

I feel sorry for him as well, he gave his best for us, and we can't ask any more than that, and he was pivotal to our premiership charge in 2011, it's not his fault that the Slime offered him such a ridiculous deal that he had no option but to accept it.
But it's clear to everyone in the game that his best years are way gone, privately, the Dogs would love to move him on as they know they won't get value for money from him, however publicly, they continuously trot out the line that they've just about got his body right now and he's ready to be unleashed, yeah right!.

The only people I feel sorry for are the ones that do not have the ability to make choices in life . In life we all go through adversity and setbacks but in the end we are all the masters of our own destiny by making the right choices . Given his injuries and his poor choices with gambling and other addictions I believe Foz has struck Gold with a very lucrative contract at the dogs. After footy if he makes the right choices he will surely lead a good and happy life .

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6