The Kieran Forum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

How long will Foran last?

• 1 month

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • 2months

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • 3months

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • 4months

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 5months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6months

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Has the best season since 2011

Votes: 42 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Foran played fiercely always putting his body on the line in his glory days at Manly and this has taken its toll on his body ,
Just goes to show how tough , resilient and durable Toovey was playing way above his weight, always in the thick of the action in the middle of the field and he never broke down . Toovey was like an unbreakable Toyota 4 wheel drive with one million miles on the odometer and still going as strong as ever .

The Legend will always live on !!!
View attachment 10594

Absolutely. As tough as they have ever come.

The only guy I can recall that maybe leaked as much blood for us was Freddy Jones.

Champions.

Absolutely. As tough as they have ever come.

The only guy I can recall that maybe leaked as much blood for us was Freddy Jones.

Champions.
Mate , I have heard talking to all the veteran Manly supporters that Freddy was just about the toughest player they have seen . They reckon he is up there with Toovey .
Can you imagine a Manly team with both of these two dynamite sticks . Toovey at half and Freddy at hooker ?

I would be careful regarding dismissing Foran, and his future performances. As Bozo pointed out, he put his body on the line and it resulted in some long term and ongoing injuries. He'll never be the same Foran we remember with much pleasure in his early days at Manly. But he is still a very talented footballer, and though he probably wont play the style of play he used at Manly in future, he still has skills that could help him adapt and become a formidable presence again. But as I've always said, I'm glad I never became a professional footballer (not that I had the talent for such anyway). Those guys punish their bodies to the limit and so many end up with life long disabilities as a consequence. Might not like what decisions he made but he is one to be respected for being one of the best five eighths of his age.

I agree Bearfax, but to put it in perspective, I know plenty of shopfitters, brickies, vynil layers, etc, etc that are broken at 40, after 25 years of work, who will carry disability for the rest of their life.....as well as having to continue to work to pay the mortgage and feed their family.

I would be careful regarding dismissing Foran, and his future

But he is still a very talented footballer, and though he probably wont play the style of play he used at Manly in future, he still has skills that could help him adapt and become a formidable presence again. Might not like what decisions he made but he is one to be respected for being one of the best five eighths of his age.
Which of his hand full of games in the last three years tell you he still has it?
No kicking game, no speed, little organisational skills is what I have seen.

He was sensational for Manly but I'm happy to write him off as one of the worst halves in 2019.

His body has taken a beating and sadly he cannot reach his prior level of athleticism again. Notwithstanding what has happened since he left I wish him well and I hope he listens to his body. He is a young man with a long life in front of him so his decisions from here on in are very important to his future quality of life.

Danny the Worm has the latest on Foz

Faith from Foran
We keep getting told that Kieran Foran has really bought in to the Bulldogs’ off-season – doing everything his body needs to get back to his best after an injury-interrupted run. It’s a show of faith from Foran in the club, given they were hoping to move him on to free up space in their salary cap.

Apparently "training the house down" - LOL

I agree Bearfax, but to put it in perspective, I know plenty of shopfitters, brickies, vynil layers, etc, etc that are broken at 40, after 25 years of work, who will carry disability for the rest of their life.....as well as having to continue to work to pay the mortgage and feed their family.

Actually I haven't seen too many of his recent games because he's played so few. But what I've seen tells me he is still a good defender, a good organiser, his passing game is still there. Look at Green. His defence was average, he didn't have much in attacking the line, was quite slow, yet he organised well and directed Manly around the park in a manner essential for the backs in particular. Look at Manly 2017 and Manly 2018. They seemed to know where they were going with Green. Same applies to Foran. He's more rugged and a better defender, but he's also always had that organising skill. May not have Green's kicking game but he's reasonably good. He wont be effective running at the line, like he used to. But the injuries he sustained wont affect his organising play. Players with that skill don't lose it. Generally it improves with age. If he can stay on the field for most of a season, I suspect he may get that confidence back.

Danny the Worm has the latest on Foz

Faith from Foran
We keep getting told that Kieran Foran has really bought in to the Bulldogs’ off-season – doing everything his body needs to get back to his best after an injury-interrupted run. It’s a show of faith from Foran in the club, given they were hoping to move him on to free up space in their salary cap.

Apparently "training the house down" - LOL
They have made this call the past 3 clubs he signed with and the only thing going down was Foz after 1-2 games.....great player in his prime, but the tough way he played took its toll on the body....between him and old Gavin Miller, I have never seen others play at the line copping it for their team mates like them.

Just another of the annual "the teams' never trained harder or been fitter" stories copied, pasted and marginally updated.
Oh, and have you heard, that the New Year's Eve fireworks will be even bigger and better this coming year, and that they are working on a new explosion?

Yes some jobs do leave permanent disabilities. Carpet layers often have shot knees, backs seem to be a curse for many trades etc. Even jobs with excessive clerical demands leave their punishment. I can no longer write with my right hand due to tendon problems and a little arthritis and have had to learn to write (only in block letters) with my left hand. Thank goodness for computers. But generally people in those careers will at least get to their middle age before their body crashes.

But I think with footballers that many of them are finished by their early 30s, some their 20s, usually with multiple injuries that limit the range of things they can do even after reaching the mid thirties. Add to that, the lack of alternative skills they have. Unless you make it big in media, coaching or have enough to buy a pub, you're likely to end up in further physical roles with uncertain futures. Some are clever enough to have studied during their football years, often in non physical disciplines and have a ready made second life career. But there are many whose only world was the football field, but they never reached the heights, and then find their battered bodies unsuited for much post football careers. Little wonder many end up with substance abuse issues and involved in borderline activities.

Little tidbit articles on keiran’s redemption. The pr campaign has started. Look for leaks to the media soon on a sympathy move to a new club.

Yes some jobs do leave permanent disabilities. Carpet layers often have shot knees, backs seem to be a curse for many trades etc. Even jobs with excessive clerical demands leave their punishment. I can no longer write with my right hand due to tendon problems and a little arthritis and have had to learn to write (only in block letters) with my left hand. Thank goodness for computers. But generally people in those careers will at least get to their middle age before their body crashes.

But I think with footballers that many of them are finished by their early 30s, some their 20s, usually with multiple injuries that limit the range of things they can do even after reaching the mid thirties. Add to that, the lack of alternative skills they have. Unless you make it big in media, coaching or have enough to buy a pub, you're likely to end up in further physical roles with uncertain futures. Some are clever enough to have studied during their football years, often in non physical disciplines and have a ready made second life career. But there are many whose only world was the football field, but they never reached the heights, and then find their battered bodies unsuited for much post football careers. Little wonder many end up with substance abuse issues and involved in borderline activities.

Whilst Foran has been earning gazillions over the last 8 years or so, I have little faith that the bricklayers and shopfitters, etc, have had anywhere near the same earning capacity in that time.

If he had half a brain, Foran could be in a position to never have to use his body to earn $ again , once he retired from footy, not something our bricklayers and others have the luxury of doing at 35 years of age.

Whilst Foran has been earning gazillions over the last 8 years or so, I have little faith that the bricklayers and shopfitters, etc, have had anywhere near the same earning capacity in that time.

If he had half a brain, Foran could be in a position to never have to use his body to earn $ again , once he retired from footy, not something our bricklayers and others have the luxury of doing at 35 years of age.

Foran is an elite player Mave. I'm referring generally to rugby league players who maybe make first grade or reserves and end up earning about $150,000 a year. The average first grader earns about $300,000, but that's average, there are many above and many below. And there are many more who play lower division. The average length of a career is 7 years. Though many are in it much longer, many either don't make the grade or they retire because of an injury too severe to continue in the game. And we are here speaking of the cream of the game. The very best in the game would earn nothing close to the best tradespeople who own businesses and employ large staff. Frankly RL like most sports in Australia are only profitable for the very few who are the best. If they were earning $10 million a season like American sports and international soccer, its a different story

Foran is an elite player Mave. I'm referring generally to rugby league players who maybe make first grade or reserves and end up earning about $150,000 a year. The average first grader earns about $300,000, but that's average, there are many above and many below. And there are many more who play lower division. The average length of a career is 7 years. Though many are in it much longer, many either don't make the grade or they retire because of an injury too severe to continue in the game. And we are here speaking of the cream of the game. The very best in the game would earn nothing close to the best tradespeople who own businesses and employ large staff. Frankly RL like most sports in Australia are only profitable for the very few who are the best. If they were earning $10 million a season like American sports and international soccer, its a different story

I thought the average was about 45 games over three years?. Def not seven years?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8