[Resurrected] Nicho Hynes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Another poor retention decision. They're mounting up through all those years of paying a fortune to the long neck goose while letting go of some seriously good players due to "DCE cap" issues. Api, AFB, Ramien, Kelly, Hiku, Hynes, Gutherson.
Hang on, we let Api go because we had Fainu, then the church dance incident happened.

AFB wanted out.

Kelly wanted to go back home.

Hiku because we had Snake & then Turbo (I think?)

Gutherson because Walker came over.

You can't really blame every player who has left or who we let go on DCE's contract.

I'm not in any way a blind DCE fanboy. He's had some pretty poor seasons and can be prone to overplaying his game which generally ends up badly but all of those players I mentioned above were 900k - 1million dollar players and have given no where near the service DCE has given us.
Even players like Cleary can and may have some poor seasons in the future. A lot is to do with the team around them.

I liken it to F1 and a drivers car. Lewis Hamilton is a Gun but even he struggled for a few years when he didn't have a car able to complete. Seb Vettel - 4 time world champion and now a midfield finisher at best.
One things is that DCE is also always on the park. So many halves are missing heaps of time injured (touch wood)

Ben Hunt was the next big thing before he wasn't. Ash Taylor was the next big thing until he wasn't. Anthony milford was the next big thing until he wasn't.
Like brooks was the next big thing... hahaha haha
Mitch moses is always just about yo be the next big thing.
You forgot to mention Brodie Croft. But I forgive you, he was to be the new Cronk only better than Cronk. Also Kyle Flanagan... Tom Dearden...

As for Hynes, great credit to him. The story (might have been someone here posted it) was that after success with our juniors he was training in the off-season with our FT squad, but got injured and then never heard from the club again!

He ended up playing Q Cup and did well, whicj is the only reason he caught the eagle eye of Storm scouts. Credit to Hynes for fighting back and making the most of his talent, Storm may have put some finishing touches making him NRL ready but he has done it largely by himself.

Also smart of the Sharks to realise his potential as a full-time halfback.

Ummm the Sharks are 2 & 1…..suddenly Fitzgibbon is the next Bellamy? Let’s see how the rest of the season pans out before making out like he’s the next best thing.
I said Fitzgibbon is the next Bellamy?
I said that?
Let me check.
Hmmm
Seems not.
I will say he has them playing a very good style of football and the results are in his favour thus far.
Am I permitted to say that?

Always liked Fitzgibbon as a player, even when he was at the Roosters. Really good to see him come through the coaching ranks having taken his time. He seems to have avoided the "Best Young Coach in the Game" tags that were mysteriously attached to Barrett.

I hope the guy goes well - but that is a puff piece of the highest order. Surely others can connect the dots between the host, his connection to the Sharks and the interviewee.

Another poor retention decision. They're mounting up through all those years of paying a fortune to the long neck goose while letting go of some seriously good players due to "DCE cap" issues. Api, AFB, Ramien, Kelly, Hiku, Hynes, Gutherson.
@mickqld we always seem to pay overs for players like DCE that come down to Sydney from up your way.

Bloody Queenslanders !!

Just sayin’

As for Hynes, great credit to him. The story (might have been someone here posted it) was that after success with our juniors he was training in the off-season with our FT squad, but got injured and then never heard from the club again!
He revealed this in an in-depth interview with Matty Johns on Fox - see it in post #79 in this thread.

You forgot to mention Brodie Croft. But I forgive you, he was to be the new Cronk only better than Cronk. Also Kyle Flanagan... Tom Dearden...

He ended up playing Q Cup and did well, whicj is the only reason he caught the eagle eye of Storm scouts. Credit to Hynes for fighting back and making the most of his talent, Storm may have put some finishing touches making him NRL ready but he has done it largely by himself.

Also smart of the Sharks to realise his potential as a full-time halfback.
What became of Croft, or is he still playing for the Logan Magpies (Bris feeder club)...lol.

Would have been interesting to see him and Gutho running around in Manly jerseys in a team with the Turbos. Wish him well...

Nicho Hynes signs six-year $7 million deal with Cronulla Sharks​

Reigning Dally M Medallist Nicho Hynes has signed a monster deal which is an enormous club first as he stays in Cronulla.

Yes it would have , had we been the Rorters.

Would have been interesting to see him and Gutho running around in Manly jerseys in a team with the Turbos. Wish him well...

Reigning Dally M Medallist Nicho Hynes has signed a monster deal which is an enormous club first as he stays in Cronulla.

Well we can blame Mr Penn and Barrett for that not happening.

What became of Croft, or is he still playing for the Logan Magpies (Bris feeder club)...lol.
In English Super League, won Man of Steel award last year l think.
Long term deal with Salford.
Contracted till 27 with another 3 year option in his favour until 2030 or thereabouts.

Well deserved Nicho..

Yeah, it still astounds me to this day as to how Barrett brought in Hastings only to hang him out to dry, whilst Hynes was pretty much told to walk after signing a 3 year deal with Manly.

Yeah, it still astounds me to this day as to how Barrett brought in Hastings only to hang him out to dry, whilst Hynes was pretty much told to walk after signing a 3 year deal with Manly.
Don't think Hynes ever had a 3 year deal? From memory Hynes has described being told to train with the main squad but got a bad injury early in preseason and never heard back from the club, or something like that. He ended up going to play Q Cup for a few years before Storm put him in their feeder club.
Gutho on the other hand had been contracted, with some fanfare, before being not-very-politely shown the door.

Don't think Hynes ever had a 3 year deal? From memory Hynes has described being told to train with the main squad but got a bad injury early in preseason and never heard back from the club, or something like that. He ended up going to play Q Cup for a few years before Storm put him in their feeder club.
Gutho on the other hand had been contracted, with some fanfare, before being not-very-politely shown the door.
Think that that is closer to the mark . Played at least one season [ maybe 2 ] with one of the Cowboys feeder club and not promoted by them . Then with the Sunshine Coast Q cup side showing enough to eventually get into the Storm 's full time squad. Just surprising again for a player going so well now at N R L level , such a late bloomer to reach his full potential . Don "t think that it was an attitude thing , just circumstances and opportunity to get to where he is now footy wise .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8