[Resurrected] Nicho Hynes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Think that that is closer to the mark . Played at least one season [ maybe 2 ] with one of the Cowboys feeder club and not promoted by them . Then with the Sunshine Coast Q cup side showing enough to eventually get into the Storm 's full time squad. Just surprising again for a player going so well now at N R L level , such a late bloomer to reach his full potential . Don "t think that it was an attitude thing , just circumstances and opportunity to get to where he is now footy wise .

My mistake. He was about to sign a 2 year deal with Manly after doing a preseason. Then had the injury and Baz told him to look elsewhere.

Irrespective Baz was the one who told him to walk.

It's frustrating knowing that Baz signed a lot of mediocre players such as Nate Myles , Uate, Wright ,etc and not keeping a player in Nicho who was impressive throughout his junior days with Manly.
I used to watch when he played with Turbo in the juniors and I remember Turbo scoring 5 tries in a game on the odd occasion and it was Nicho who was instrumental.

He revealed this in an in-depth interview with Matty Johns on Fox - see it in post #79 in this thread.
I don't think it's as simple as he made out about the club not contacting him again.
Apparently there was an attitude and dedication problem from his end.

Watching that interview with Hynes really shows how Barrett really was a poor coach, poor judge of footy iq and frankly a person of poor character.

Having Hynes do a full preseason with the NRL squad, promise the kid a 2 year contract and basically tell him to piss off after he got an injury.

Ironically he is now playing a lot better than his superstar 20's team mate Turbo.

Imagine how good Manly could have been with DCE at 7 and Hynes at 6.

We know at the time he was suffering from documented mental health challenges. Of course the geniuses at our club could view that as a "trouble make"

It is funny with both him and gutho how we seem to have lost some good people around the same time

Our player recruitment and retention has been awful since Bozo was given the task of building a team for T-Baz in less than a week. It was reported as something akin to a miracle at the time (Marty Tapou! Dylan Walker! Lewis Brown! That Redheaded and Bearded Bloke from the Dragons Nobody Remembers!), but we let a lot of promising juniors - including Gutho and Hynes - go to fund our intake of "superstars".

Nicho was a good player then and is better now. If you watched any of Tommy Turbo's junior highlights packages, you would have noticed that a lot of his tries were set up by Hynes. I always thought we should keep him, but apparently he was surplus to our needs at the time.

My mistake. He was about to sign a 2 year deal with Manly after doing a preseason. Then had the injury and Baz told him to look elsewhere.

Irrespective Baz was the one who told him to walk.

It's frustrating knowing that Baz signed a lot of mediocre players such as Nate Myles , Uate, Wright ,etc and not keeping a player in Nicho who was impressive throughout his junior days with Manly.
I used to watch when he played with Turbo in the juniors and I remember Turbo scoring 5 tries in a game on the odd occasion and it was Nicho who was instrumental.
And this is why it's so important to get your coach and front office right.
Hindsight a funny thing but Gutho and Hynes fmd what was Barrett doing ?

Watching that interview with Hynes really shows how Barrett really was a poor coach, poor judge of footy iq and frankly a person of poor character.

Having Hynes do a full preseason with the NRL squad, promise the kid a 2 year contract and basically tell him to piss off after he got an injury.

Ironically he is now playing a lot better than his superstar 20's team mate Turbo.

Imagine how good Manly could have been with DCE at 7 and Hynes at 6.
Barrett was an absolute flog and cost us dearly Ramien, Hynes and Gutho all let go during his tenure

Manly were not paying him to do the pre season while other blokes were getting paid a million dollars

You can understand his frustration which may have led to a perception that he had a bad attitude

Seems a pretty level headed person to me

Seems like history repeating itself again with Seibold in charge

I don’t have any qualms about losing Hynes because of the context around it happening…he is just another Damien Cook who started out at the Dragons. Their form and game development early in their careers are not comparable to what they’re doing now. Clubs don’t have crystal balls. At the time they were both let go by their junior clubs, they were no great loss. If they happen to go elsewhere and get their act together and suddenly develop new insights into their games, so be it. It’s not an exact science why it happens for some at 20 years old, and others at 25-26.

And before people start saying it’s the club’s job to develop the player, it’s both the responsibility of the club and the player. We cannot possibly measure the worth of Manly’s development of Hynes at a time in his life where he has publicly conceded he was not in a good space. Further, some players respond to certain personalities better than others. Hynes may have needed Bellamy’s approach to shift something in his game that suddenly opened his potential…that’s fine…that’s footy. We move on. But to imply that what he is doing now should have been forecasted by Manly 8-9 years ago, is a stretch. The circumstances and hindsight need to be factored in to the narrative.

I don’t have any qualms about losing Hynes because of the context around it happening…he is just another Damien Cook who started out at the Dragons. Their form and game development early in their careers are not comparable to what they’re doing now. Clubs don’t have crystal balls. At the time they were both let go by their junior clubs, they were no great loss. If they happen to go elsewhere and get their act together and suddenly develop new insights into their games, so be it. It’s not an exact science why it happens for some at 20 years old, and others at 25-26.

And before people start saying it’s the club’s job to develop the player, it’s both the responsibility of the club and the player. We cannot possibly measure the worth of Manly’s development of Hynes at a time in his life where he has publicly conceded he was not in a good space. Further, some players respond to certain personalities better than others. Hynes may have needed Bellamy’s approach to shift something in his game that suddenly opened his potential…that’s fine…that’s footy. We move on. But to imply that what he is doing now should have been forecasted by Manly 8-9 years ago, is a stretch. The circumstances and hindsight need to be factored in to the narrative.

Des infamously traded Cook for that useless Michael Lichaa at the dogs.

Hynes was a constant standout throughout the Manly juniors, his performances in the team were often overlooked due to Turbo being in the same team.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8