Cust Gone ...

It's only a game ....
Just checked Foran's stats - 21 games as halfback - 8 for Eels & 13 for Dogs.

First Grader
Tipping Comp 2021
Kodi Nikorima seems ripe for the picking. Warriors have too many halves. Johnston returning. Harris-Tevita has first crack at 6. And now they go a sign Luke Metcalf as well.

Bencher
I am asking what game time ge has actually played at 7? I never said he was experienced either, I'm simply asking what "experience"does he have as a half?
I’m sure you can look up the game time mate.

I just had read he had experience in the halves - when I say 7 I mean halves. My bad. I see them as the same thing essentially - u just usually a balance of organiser/ball runner.

He was compared to Foz when we was coming into grade. So a ball runner. But in my opinion more than capable of handling a role in the halves.

Lawton to 9 Croker to 7.
Lawton to 6 Foz to 7.
Etc etc.

Can't really comment but Smokin Joe may be able to, what is Zane Harris like? Has played for Workers and our Flegg teams albeit during the COVID era. Has been picked at 9 and played 7.

Reserve Grader
What's that 6 players gone next year and we sign 1 so far and ? on Walker. Interesting times. Glad to see we must have some cash in the kitty.

Journey Man
TBH I am not surprised. Cade is talented, we all know that, but his chances at first grade with Manly were very limited without a fair bit of luck, injuries and probably a change of coach (none of which are likely anytime soon).

As a half he was behind DCE, Foz, Walks and Froggy.
As a dummy half he was behind Froggy, Lawton, and when he's back, Fainu.
As a bench utility he was behind Walks, Lawton, and when Fainu is back ... maybe Froggy as well.

Cade did have his chances to cement a spot in first grade, but could never quite get it done. Some of that was injury related, but mostly it was just that Des saw others as better options.

Anyway, good luck with Wigan Cade. I hope you give the Poms hell and show them what a Manly junior is made of.

Last edited:
Journey Man
Gone to Wigan. While we keep an aged and injury prone Foran. Mind boggling decision.

Interesting fact. Kieran Foran played more games in 2021 (25) than he did in any of the years he played for the Worms (2016 - 9), Warriors (2017 - 17) or Dogs (2018 - 12, 2019 - 14, 2020 - 14). In fact, his 25 games in 2021 was the 3rd most in a season he played in his career to date only behind 2013 (27) and 2011 (26). Also interesting to note, in those 3 years where Foz has played his most games in a season, we were Premiers, Grand Finalists and top 4.....with him out there, Manly have mostly won (in Foz's 172 games for Manly, we have won 107, lost 64 and drawn 1 - 62.21% wins).

Foz only missed 2 games in 2021, both due to a broken bone in his left hand suffered in the Magic Round demolition of the Broncos. He missed rounds 11 and 12 (win over the Worms, loss to the Knights) and returned in the round 14 thrashing of the Cows (we had the bye in round 13).

Journey Man
Cade wasn't in our top 17, according to the one who's opinion counts - Des Hasler. That much was and now is obvious.

But his biggest problem was not poor man management by Des or the club or that he was probably 4th cab off the rank for any of his positions at Manly. It was that effectively for the past 2 years his and a lot of fringe NRL players careers have been put on hold by the pandemic. With the NSW and Qld Cups basically shut down, players like Cust weren't playing if they weren't in first grade. And without injuries to first grade players, he never got a lot of chance to do much of anything (his own injuries didn't help either).

I think that releasing him so that he can join Wigan is the best thing for both Manly and Cade Cust, especially as we have first option if he returns to play in Australia. He's likely going to get the game time and development he needs (no doubt he'll be a half or 5/8) so that if and when he's ready to return home, he'd be a ready made replacement for DCE who will probably be looking at retirement by then. Instead of being a relative rookie, he'd have first grade Super League experience behind him. I also think going to England is better for Manly because we wouldn't have that first crack at his services when he returns option had he gone to another NRL club.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
24 21 3 499 44
24 21 3 390 44
24 20 4 322 42
24 16 8 252 34
24 16 8 141 34
24 15 9 109 32
24 12 12 -143 26
24 10 14 -3 22
24 10 14 -36 22
24 10 14 -97 22