Cust Gone ...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Con was never going to be our front line 6 or 7 and the club allowed him to find greener pastures. Good on them. We never did anything wrong by him...he just never showed he was up to what we want/need from a 6 or 7. My problem with allowing him to find a better opportunity elsewhere is that we now only have the Shoo as halves cover. It is what it should be and hopefully the club has plans in place for covering him coz our internal halves talents are 2 or 3 years away from being that.

Good luck Cade, fantastic opportunity to prove himself and grow his game.

Leaves a lack of depth in the halves for the squad, be interesting to see who the club chase for depth, not many on the market and a few clubs chasing halves.

I think this is very smart by the club.They let a player go that in all likelihood was not getting a start next season at a time in his career he needs to be playing and that would not be fair on him.It also gives Manly the chance to see if he can lead a side around the park or even dominate at dummy half,depending on where Wigan decide to play him.It also frees up a spot in the 30 and a little bit of cap space which is needed in the next two years.As for the notion that they kept Foran over him,as suggested by someone else on here,Cust was never playing 5/8 if Foran went down anyway

Last edited:
Our halves and outside back depth will really get tested next year unless we fill the last few squad spots with new blood

Our halves and outside back depth will really get tested next year unless we fill the last few squad spots with new blood
Maybe the club has faith in the young players coming through and now is the time to blood them whilst there’s still some experienced players like DCE&Foran still in the team.The club must have massive wraps on Tuipulotu if they signed him for 4 yrs after only 1 FG game at the Roosters

Con was never going to be our front line 6 or 7 and the club allowed him to find greener pastures. Good on them. We never did anything wrong by him...he just never showed he was up to what we want/need from a 6 or 7. My problem with allowing him to find a better opportunity elsewhere is that we now only have the Shoo as halves cover. It is what it should be and hopefully the club has plans in place for covering him coz our internal halves talents are 2 or 3 years away from being that.
Agreed! The only way this is smart is if we have a better replacement already lined up! OR we are extremely confident we will get Fainu back sooner than expected. We are already light in #9 depth. Say Croker and Lawton are injured, who plays #9?

Agreed! The only way this is smart is if we have a better replacement already lined up! We are already extremely light in #9 depth. I can only assume we already have someone signing to replace him.
Say Croker and Lawton are injured, who plays #9?
Most clubs only have two front line dummy halves anyway,some have none mind you.If you lose both of them,so be it.Obviously the club is confident in the Fainu outcome or the strength of the development no.9 players.I thought Lawton was surplus to the bench last season when they had Walker there anyway.

Cust is a very good attacking player and I'm sure he will do well in the ESL. However, currently we have no back up no. 7. What if DCE is out for an extended period (touch wood this doesn't happen)? In the current squad we only have Foran & the inexperienced Humphreys to replace him. Another option would be Brad Keighran from Blacktown Workers.

Most clubs only have two front line dummy halves anyway,some have none mind you.If you lose both of them,so be it.Obviously the club is confident in the Fainu outcome or the strength of the development no.9 players.I thought Lawton was surplus to the bench last season when they had Walker there anyway.
Thing is though Lawton is a part time hooker and Croker has had 1 season there. It definitely isn't ideal letting go depth in this position unless of course they know something we don't.

People acting like he was our Roy Bull player of the year for the last 5 years lol.
Cust was a solid player, who could probably be playing first grade in an NRL side, however he was surplus to our needs. Best decision for all parties was made. Good luck in the UK.

We saw the much maligned Croker turn into a mini Ballin and first grader under Des.
Pity Des did not give Cust an equal opportunity at #9 as he has a bit of Cheese in him with aggression and excellent attacking opt options.

As a few have said, nobody can ever accuse Des of not playing favourites. Injuries are the only way to get selected sometimes at Manly.
Example Harper, Haumole and Schuster.

It’d just be Foran to 7 role Schuster to 6.
Or Walker to 6 - Foz to 7.
Agree, these would be the best options (esp. if Walker is resigned)
Or Croker to 7 and bring in another 9.
I'm think Croker would do a good job at 7, but he is currently needed at no. 9. His defence was sorely missed in the finals game against the Storm. Lawton didn't really impress in his stints at dummy half this year. At least, we have GCKT* as a no. 9 in the development squad.

I wouldn’t have called Cust an experienced NRL 7 so not sure of your point there.
My point is that Cust is a natural halfback, whereas other options, apart from Foran & Croker, would be 'manufactured' halfbacks.

DCE is remarkably resilient. In 2019, I think he only missed 4 games, but we had a capable backup in Kane Elgey. In 2020, I don't think he missed a game. In 2021, he missed one game and for some inexplicable reason, Des played Walker at 7 & Foran at 6 (reverse would have been better). Needless to say, we lost that game.

* Gordon Chan Kum Tong

See the thread one above this one.

But, we so luv a new thread thou ;)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8