Who replaces kelly ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
St George Illawarra has upped the ante in their pursuit of Jarryd Hayne, with the club prepared to release fullback Matt Dufty.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...ty-in-order-to-nab-hayne-20181113-p50fte.html

I’d be happy with Dufty at fullback and Turbo in the centres.
That I would certainly be on board with. Lots of X-factor in the backline then. Also speed to burn.

01. Matt Dufty
02. Reuben Garrick
03. Tom Trbojevic
04. Dylan Walker
05. Albert Hopoate
06. Kane Elgey
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

I'd say there's enough pace there !

Issue is that Dufty wouldn't be cheap, not sure Tom T wants to play centre for his club side (future retention) and if A Hoppa is as good as expected will also creat a retention issue in 12 months time. I alsothink Des would have an eye on Will Hoppa and Dufty impacts all of the above.

For now, he would be a good get and transform our backline but I feel we have other targets and limited cap space.

I remember earlier this year geniuses on this forum talking about Dufty as a better fullback then Turbo......what a laugh it was.

There is a reason Saints are happy to lose him, he is a one trick pony, no thanks

And just like that my 120 page marathon on “ the Life of Brian” is consigned to the annals of Silvertails history!!

Oh well, it was fun whilst it lasted!!
You certainly know how to ruffle some feathers on here with some of your posts mate . Which makes things interesting .
Cant wait for your next interesting post . Keep it up feathered friend . We need characters like you here !

After reading the below quote from Kelly it was obvious that the decision was completely Brian’s rather than the club wanting to move him on.

"I met with Des (Hasler) and had a good yarn with him. I was just honest with him and told him I missed being home and family here and stuff. I really wanted to be closer to them, closer to my nieces and nephews. It was a good change (to be in Sydney) but it's good to be home."
The other side of the story is that when Manly gave Kelly the opportunity to play in the NRL Kelly he took the challenge and the family sacrifices for an NRL spot . As professional sport is all about sacrifices . Now that there is more of a demand for his services and an opportunity with the Titans as our club made it clear they would not be willing to stop Kelly from earning a longer and more lucrative contract , Kellys plans had changed . (Kelly has signed a 3 year deal with the Titans )
The moral of the story is there is no sentiment in the NRL and every club and player has to do what is best for them selves.

Last edited:
That I would certainly be on board with. Lots of X-factor in the backline then. Also speed to burn.

01. Matt Dufty
02. Reuben Garrick
03. Tom Trbojevic
04. Dylan Walker
05. Albert Hopoate
06. Kane Elgey
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

I'd say there's enough pace there !
That’s an exciting backline for sure! But as for Tom T in the centres, i really want to see how he goes at fullback under Des. I think 2019 could be the making of him and we will look back on all the discussion about his best position and laugh. (Perhaps not @Woodsie though, who is unlikely to budge from his Tommy T as a second rower stance )

That’s an exciting backline for sure! But as for Tom T in the centres, i really want to see how he goes at fullback under Des. I think 2019 could be the making of him and we will look back on all the discussion about his best position and laugh. (Perhaps not @Woodsie though, who is unlikely to budge from his Tommy T as a second rower stance )

He's got at least another year in the backs ....

I remember earlier this year geniuses on this forum talking about Dufty as a better fullback then Turbo......what a laugh it was.

There is a reason Saints are happy to lose him, he is a one trick pony, no thanks
Yep and his defence is bad.

At rep level Tom Turbo has been utilized on the Wing and at Centre due to the quality available for the full back position .
With young Hoppa (who plays best at fullback) on the rise I can see Tom dominating at centre . We have not had a big frame power play centre since Grame Lowe signed Kevin Iro .

Memories of Kevin Iro were that he was big fast and unstoppable in the centres .
Size dominates and SPEED KILLS !!!
l_1992 rugby league sticker0143.jpeg

I can see where you are coming from Woodsie. Tommy T. is tall, over 100 kgs and I've seen him push players bigger than him out of the way when he's on one of his runs. However playing second row would waste his exceptional speed and swerve, not to forget that if Manly can retain Schuster, they will have two other Trbojevics and Shuster in the forward pack in a year or two. If just two or three of the young forwards we have come good, there wont be much space left. For mine, depending again if Manly hold onto Albert Hoppa, I see Fast Albert initially on the wing later next year and full back by 2020 with Tom T. in the centre. I think Tom T. could be an even better centre than Inglis has been.

I can see where you are coming from Woodsie. Tommy T. is tall, over 100 kgs and I've seen him push players bigger than him out of the way when he's on one of his runs. However playing second row would waste his exceptional speed and swerve, not to forget that if Manly can retain Schuster, they will have two other Trbojevics and Shuster in the forward pack in a year or two. If just two or three of the young forwards we have come good, there wont be much space left. For mine, depending again if Manly hold onto Albert Hoppa, I see Fast Albert initially on the wing later next year and full back by 2020 with Tom T. in the centre. I think Tom T. could be an even better centre than Inglis has been.

All good points and relevant .... the future is exciting .....

My view on Tom is that his pace and swerve will diminish , not disappear, but will be lessened with age and size ..... he loves running off Jake and others up through the middle ... and that distinguishes him from other fullbacks who prefer the edges or out wider ....

As long as he can maintain his speed and mobility he is obviously one of the best backs in the game ..... but if that starts to change, put on weight .... he has in my opinion all the atributes to be a creative, bust making, ball tearing tackle busting try scoring sensation at 2nd row ....

Good comparison @Bearfax . Tom T and Inglis at centre . Both Destructive . Inglis is big enough for the Second row as well but as you say Why waste the energy of the speed and swerve. Albert will live up to his reputation I believe and he will excel at fullback .

Not for me.
Dufty had some good moments early but as the year went on he was terrible.
Absolute turnstile in defence and just fails to get involved.
He is fast but doesn't have much else to commend him.
That is the thing with most young players . They can attack but have issues with defence .
Defence technique can be improved most of the time

Not for me.
Dufty had some good moments early but as the year went on he was terrible.
Absolute turnstile in defence and just fails to get involved.
He is fast but doesn't have much else to commend him.
Yes, he lacks size, not good with the high ball, great in broken play but gets rag dolled when caught with the ball, even though he's around the same size as Slater, he's certainly no Slater.

We had some big centres after iro. He was good on his day but inconsistent. Terry hill wasn't small nor Danny more or Craig Innes but I get your point. Matai played like a big one but the lateral movement playing each side won't see many centres like mal or Myles or Iro again. Inglis is just a freak athlete. He was a skinny 19 year old at North's in Brissy beating records for leg presses.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7