Tom Wright Gone and Jade Anderson on the outer?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Also under the mentoring of the capable Wayne Lampkin previously in the 20 "s .. The club still thought sufficiently enough of his abilities and potential to previously extend his contract into next season . Obviously now and changed circumstances , by mutual consent , he will be exiting the scene at Manly . Anyway regardless of any of his future endeavors . Tom Wright will always be remembered as scoring one of the better individual tries for this season against the Dragons .

Zorba gone rogue. How do we now interpret Zorba article which started this thread, given we now know Wright is gone and probably has been for some time.
ZtC is deflecting from his relo's lack of resourcing of Manly - the very reason that caused Baz to activate his 'get out clause' :mad:

T Wright was a Bozo Wunderkind much like Baz. Now both have left Manly :confused:

So you wouldn't have Maloney or Lockyer in your team?
Defence is important, unquestionably. But if you have a player who scores 10 points and only allows in eight points with shoddy defence then you are on a winner.
Tackling in RL is not what it used to be. It's a rarity to see a one-on-one tackle these days which may explain why so many centres and wingers rush in to help their inside player in defence, and often fail to stop the ball. Forwards these days are disadvantaged tackling low. That's why we see more dancing than tackling.

Not sure where I said that I would not have Lockyer or Maloney in my team?

I simply pointed out that they could not tackle their entire careers.

They also stuck it out. Wright got an offer from the easier option (rugby) and ran.

I'm not sure we disagree. DCE, Foz, Ferris. They made up a pretty crucial part of this club post 2009.

But does a club have to retain, attempt to develop, give a proper go, for a group good enough to make or win a lower grade gf to become regular first graders.

You keep the cream of your crop surely.

Turbo may have been the star, but one person didn't make it to a grand final all on his own in 2015.

3 years down the track.

1 Brent Naden (c)
2 Fuimanu Enese
3 Robert Jennings
4 Maliko Filino
5 Dylan Edwards #
6 Tyrone May #
7 Jarome Luai #
8 Oliver Clark
9 Soni Luke (c) #
10 Moses Leota #
11 James Fisher-Harris #
12 Corey Harawira-Naera #
13 Reed Izzard#

Interchange
14 Kaide Ellis#
15 Thomson Tuigimala
16 Paea Pua#
17 Jake Ennis?

1 Tom Trbojevic %
2 Jesse Bogle
3 Addison Demetriou
4 Jesse Ramien
5 Mitch Thomas
6 William Pearsall
7 Riley Travers (c)
8 Liam Knight
9 Hugh Pratt
10 Jesse Maxwell
11 Luke Garner
12 William Bainbridge
13 Darcy Cox

Interchange
14 Nicholas Hynes
15 James Parker
16 Dallas Koen
17 Moses Noovao-McGreal

# player still at the Riffs or their ISC =10
% player still at Manly or their ISC. =1

Most of our blokes were not even here the following year.

I'd still prefer Bainbridge, Garner, Haynes, Knight, Pearsall, Ramien over plenty we now have on the books.

2017 won the bloody thing. Tom Wright was the star. And that crop is also close to extinction.

They can't all be rubbish.

Yep, understand your thoughts but out of the six you list that you would prefer over what we have now currently only Ramien is what you'd call a regular first grader.

Bainbridge has dropped off the map, Garner only made his debut late this year for the Tigpies ( plenty of reggies though ), Hynes was up in QCup, Knight was released due to discipline and then released by the Chooks only played 9 games for the Raiders, Pearsall went to the Knights and has now retired.

The 2015 NYC team finished 4th in regular season and Turbo carried them through the semis
The Panthers that year were Minor Premiers

2016 we came last
2017 we came scraped into 8th on percentages so not necessarily a great team but they had a great month in the semis to win the GF.
With no NYC this year it's hard to gauge where most of them are in their development.

ZtC is deflecting from his relo's lack of resourcing of Manly - the very reason that caused Baz to activate his 'get out clause' :mad:

T Wright was a Bozo Wunderkind much like Baz. Now both have left Manly :confused:
Your probably right. Try and make it seem like it's not about Penn not spending money, but those cheap rubbish no names are who Baz wanted. LOL.

If that is as good as recruitment gets, no one would believe that.

That article is just getting more and more bizarre.

I am actually starting to wonder if Zorba and Penn have had a falling out, and he's venting. Even Zorba officially retiring from the club. It's all so odd.

Its bit like this shoe string budget, spoon collecting club, being called Manly.

Nothing makes sense.

Yep, understand your thoughts but out of the six you list that you would prefer over what we have now currently only Ramien is what you'd call a regular first grader.

Bainbridge has dropped off the map, Garner only made his debut late this year for the Tigpies ( plenty of reggies though ), Hynes was up in QCup, Knight was released due to discipline and then released by the Chooks only played 9 games for the Raiders, Pearsall went to the Knights and has now retired.

The 2015 NYC team finished 4th in regular season and Turbo carried them through the semis
The Panthers that year were Minor Premiers

2016 we came last
2017 we came scraped into 8th on percentages so not necessarily a great team but they had a great month in the semis to win the GF.
With no NYC this year it's hard to gauge where most of them are in their development.

Pretty sure Bainbridge took a year off to get over his injuries, debuted at 18 (turned 19 a week later). Would love to see him back injury free.

I love the media training the kid had. How to use an iPhone camera in under 4 seconds.

So .... in your infinite wisdom .... that is also the fault of poor coaching ..... just as well we got rid of that bloody Wayne Lambkin then ..... such a poor coach that in concentrating on winning an u/20Grandfinal he forgot to tell Fainu not to record sex without permission ....

Wake up Punchie .... !

Boy there are some numbnuts on here who think coaches have some sort of magical power ......

Tom Wright is not the first and won't be the last union convert to fail to make the grade in the hardest comp of the hardest game in the world ......

He has a wonderful talent with ball in hand, but I have always doubted whether he had the grit to become a complete footballer ....

I think Tom and the club have done the right thing .... and I hope he has a great future in union .... I would love to see him play 7's ..
Correct, and even if he had moderate NRL success with us, how long before the Rah Rahs come sniffing around again.

Correct, and even if he had moderate NRL success with us, how long before the Rah Rahs come sniffing around again.

I can see the logic in what is being said by Woodsie and yourself Peter C, but do we continue to 'give away' players who show special gifts because they seem to have some flaws at a young age. Gutherson, Ramien, Hiku, Whare, just in recent years...where does it end where players who become established first graders elsewhere, some in top 8 clubs, are shown the door, while we go chasing reserve graders from other clubs, who generally found to be just that...reserve graders. We could really have used a couple of those guys we let go in the past season. Are Matt Wright, Johnno Wright, Parker, Suli, Croker etc better prospects than Tom Wright and Anderson? Suli and Parker look potentially forwards, not backs. And the players Manly are reportedly now chasing are also reserve graders. One might turn out OK, but surely if you have players with those special skills, you hold onto them, coach them so their flaws are overcome. You can teach some things such as defence, but you cant teach X factor abilities.

The Manly of the past, even only a decade ago, and I can speak to over 50 years of watching, would never let go players with serious potential. Today, like on the football field, there seems to be no strategic thinking. Fulton got us a few top liners, but since he has gone, no one seems to be making serious recruitment strategies...other than perhaps getting Elgey, the one potentially bright light coming to us in recent years. Unless Manly have a couple of serious signings coming up, with the potential that we could lose Taupau or Walker or both, our playing stocks will have gone seriously backwards, as it has been for several years now. We have young talented players coming through, but we don't give them time to develop. Very few players become a star by 21. Arthurson must be shaking his head in horror. .

I can see the logic in what is being said by Woodsie and yourself Peter C, but do we continue to 'give away' players who show special gifts because they seem to have some flaws at a young age. Gutherson, Ramien, Hiku, Whare, just in recent years...where does it end where players who become established first graders elsewhere, some in top 8 clubs, are shown the door, while we go chasing reserve graders from other clubs, who generally found to be just that...reserve graders. We could really have used a couple of those guys we let go in the past season. Are Matt Wright, Johnno Wright, Parker, Suli, Croker etc better prospects than Tom Wright and Anderson? Suli and Parker look potentially forwards, not backs. And the players Manly are reportedly now chasing are also reserve graders. One might turn out OK, but surely if you have players with those special skills, you hold onto them, coach them so their flaws are overcome. You can teach some things such as defence, but you cant teach X factor abilities.

The Manly of the past, even only a decade ago, and I can speak to over 50 years of watching, would never let go players with serious potential. Today, like on the football field, there seems to be no strategic thinking. Fulton got us a few top liners, but since he has gone, no one seems to be making serious recruitment strategies...other than perhaps getting Elgey, the one potentially bright light coming to us in recent years. Unless Manly have a couple of serious signings coming up, with the potential that we could lose Taupau or Walker or both, our playing stocks will have gone seriously backwards, as it has been for several years now. We have young talented players coming through, but we don't give them time to develop. Very few players become a star by 21. Arthurson must be shaking his head in horror. .

To be fair Bear, Gutho, Hiku and Whare were all let go because they were too good and too expensive to be reggies and they were all behind Snake, Matai and Lyon with Turbo on the horizon ...... could it have been handled differently ... maybe, but I doubt it.

Ramien left for money ... and he has again left for money .... I am sure the Sharks like us wanted to keep him .... but he personifies the modern RL mercenary ...

I am as disappointed as most with the departure of Tom Wright ... I hoped he would be the next great thing ... on occasions he looked brilliant with ball in hand .... but just as often he looked disinterested and uncomfortable .... after 2 years of watching him in 20's. Reggies and his 5 FG cameos, I became more convinced that the 80min grind of Rugby League was not his go ..... but that is just my personal opinion ... he is an amazing athlete ... he could be one of the world's 7's superstars ....

I don't think the decision to keep him was about money .... I think Tom just realised he would be happier in the rah rahs ....

Overall I am left with the feeling of loss for what might have been ,,,, but I don't blame anybody, and I don't think Tom's issues were ones that "a good coach" would have made a difference with .....

.... and PSS ... no club other than Rorters can afford to have 2 FG fullbacks, 3 FG centres, 3 FG wingers, 2 FG 5/8s, 2 FG halfbacks , 2 FG locks etc etc ....

the salary cap ensures that you need to find the gems amongst the bargain basement players .....

To be fair Bear, Gutho, Hiku and Whare were all let go because they were too good and too expensive to be reggies and they were all behind Snake, Matai and Lyon with Turbo on the horizon ...... could it have been handled differently ... maybe, but I doubt it.

Ramien left for money ... and he has again left for money .... I am sure the Sharks like us wanted to keep him .... but he personifies the modern RL mercenary ...

I am as disappointed as most with the departure of Tom Wright ... I hoped he would be the next great thing ... on occasions he looked brilliant with ball in hand .... but just as often he looked disinterested and uncomfortable .... after 2 years of watching him in 20's. Reggies and his 5 FG cameos, I became more convinced that the 80min grind of Rugby League was not his go ..... but that is just my personal opinion ... he is an amazing athlete ... he could be one of the world's 7's superstars ....

I don't think the decision to keep him was about money .... I think Tom just realised he would be happier in the rah rahs ....

Overall I am left with the feeling of loss for what might have been ,,,, but I don't blame anybody, and I don't think Tom's issues were ones that "a good coach" would have made a difference with .....

And Anderson? The players let go were already playing first grade. Whare, Hiku were both in Manly's firsts. Gutho was let go supposedly because he wanted to play full back. Yeh I believe that one, since he has played 5/8 and centre for most of his stay at Parra. He had 2 years left on his contract, but he was shown the door. As for Wright, again he was only 21 and according to Peters he was shown the door, despite having a year left on his contract. Peters says the same of Anderson. Sorry Woodsie, I am not so forgiving. If they had wanted Gutho, Hiku, Whare, Tom Wright ...and Anderson, they would have found the cash to keep them.

And Anderson? The players let go were already playing first grade. Whare, Hiku were both in Manly's firsts. Gutho was let go supposedly because he wanted to play full back. Yeh I believe that one, since he has played 5/8 and centre for most of his stay at Parra. He had 2 years left on his contract, but he was shown the door. As for Wright, again he was only 21 and according to Peters he was shown the door, despite having a year left on his contract. Peters says the same of Anderson. Sorry Woodsie, I am not so forgiving. If they had wanted Gutho, Hiku, Whare, Tom Wright ...and Anderson, they would have found the cash to keep them.

Whare and Hiku were only ever in FG as injury cover ... at the time they and Gutho left, Snake, Matai and Lyon all had at least 2 years left on their contracts .... none of them would have seen FG other than injury ..... and no one was Nostradamus .... it would have been ridiculous to keep three players on their coin for reggies ...

Gutho going to play fullback was never a fact ... he was advised that given the depth in our backs he would be unlikely to secure a FG spot .... he made the smart decision .... and Manly cleared an expensive reserve .... again no one was Nostradamus regarding injuries ... in hindsight he was a great loss ...

Peters painting Tom's leaving in the worst light by having a shot at people doesn't convince me that his interpretation of events is reliable ... all reports say Tom requested a release ... I tend to believe them ....

I have not seen that Anderson is leaving ... so have no knowledge of that .... is he?

Whare and Hiku were only ever in FG as injury cover ... at the time they and Gutho left, Snake, Matai and Lyon all had at least 2 years left on their contracts .... none of them would have seen FG other than injury ..... and no one was Nostradamus .... it would have been ridiculous to keep three players on their coin for reggies ...

Gutho going to play fullback was never a fact ... he was advised that given the depth in our backs he would be unlikely to secure a FG spot .... he made the smart decision .... and Manly cleared an expensive reserve .... again no one was Nostradamus regarding injuries ... in hindsight he was a great loss ...

Peters painting Tom's leaving in the worst light by having a shot at people doesn't convince me that his interpretation of events is reliable ... all reports say Tom requested a release ... I tend to believe them ....

I have not seen that Anderson is leaving ... so have no knowledge of that .... is he?

You're attempting to paint a very rosy picture of the Sea Eagles recruitment, something we have been angered about since Toovey's last year.

Whare played almost the full year in first grade in his last year with us in 2012. Hiku played the full years in 2014 (26 games) and 2015 (22 games). Lyon and Matai were on the way out by that time, especially Matai who could only play 8 games in his last year 2016. The club knew they needed top players to replace them and both Hiku and Gutho were shown the door in 2015. And who did we have as replacements until Kelly came? Matt Walker and Brayden Williame. Little wonder we were on the slide.
They could already see Lyon could only cope at 5/8, having become too slow for the three quarters, and Matai was increasingly injured. .

As for what Peters has said, well he's in the middle of the club and should know a lot more than we do. He broke the news about Tom Wright. He identified the players Manly were after, and have since bought one of them. Why shouldn't he also be on song about Anderson. Thing is Wright and Anderson were two of the main reasons Manly won the Holden Cup 2 years ago. They were the standouts. So what's happened. Barrett refused to try Wright out wide in first grade where he would have been most effective. He refused to upgrade Anderson when he had the opportunity. Both are very quick and that is where Manly's backline faltered badly this year. So why show them the door?

You're attempting to paint a very rosy picture of the Sea Eagles recruitment, something we have been angered about since Toovey's last year.

Whare played almost the full year in first grade in his last year with us in 2012. Hiku played the full years in 2014 (26 games) and 2015 (22 games). Lyon and Matai were on the way out by that time, especially Matai who could only play 8 games in his last year 2016. The club knew they needed top players to replace them and both Hiku and Gutho were shown the door in 2015. And who did we have as replacements until Kelly came? Matt Walker and Brayden Williame. Little wonder we were on the slide.
They could already see Lyon could only cope at 5/8, having become too slow for the three quarters, and Matai was increasingly injured. .

As for what Peters has said, well he's in the middle of the club and should know a lot more than we do. He broke the news about Tom Wright. He identified the players Manly were after, and have since bought one of them. Why shouldn't he also be on song about Anderson. Thing is Wright and Anderson were two of the main reasons Manly won the Holden Cup 2 years ago. They were the standouts. So what's happened. Barrett refused to try Wright out wide in first grade where he would have been most effective. He refused to upgrade Anderson when he had the opportunity. Both are very quick and that is where Manly's backline faltered badly this year. So why show them the door?

Not trying to paint a rosy picture .. just don't like the rewriting of history to suit a current debate ...

As you just agreed, Whare and Hiku were let go after 2015 ... all three Matai, Lyon and Snake were contracted until the end of 2017 ..... they were never in a pink pig's tit ever going to be in FG ahead of those players .... no matter how often they may have stood in for injuries

Your terminology "Barrett refused" is questionable ..... it is only opinion that Wright would have been effective out wide .... my opinion is that he would have been a liability .....

Again you use the term "shown the door" ... yet you ignore the reports saying he asked for a release ...

And Anderson ... I still don't know what's doing ...

Last edited:
Not trying to paint a rosy picture .. just don't like the rewriting of history to suit a current debate ...

As you just agreed, Whare and Hiku were let go after 2015 ... all three Matai, Lyon and Snake were contracted until the end of 2017 ..... they were never in a pink pig's tit ever going to be in FG ahead of those players .... no matter how often they may have stood in for injuries

Your terminology "Barrett refused" is questionable ..... it is only opinion that Wright would have been effective out wide .... my opinion is that he would have been a liability .....

Again you use the term "shown the door" ... yet you ignore the reports saying he asked for a release ...

And Anderson ... I still don't know what's doing ...

Come on Woodsie. By 2016, Matai and Lyon were dead in the water. They knew they needed replacements. Thing is both Whare and Hiku as well as Ramien and Gutho are now well regarded first grade players elsewhere. Hiku and Whare are NZ test players and Ramien is considered a future test player. Gutho could also follow if he can regains his 2017 form at Parra. That's a lot of talent to let go, especially with Matai and Lyon on their last legs.

As for Barrett and Tom Wright, I don't think I need to reiterate surely. It may be left to conjecture whether he'd do well out wide, but he was only once given the chance and if you remember was considered the best player by many against St George. He's certainly a lot faster and more evasive than Parker, Matt Wright and Suli, and having been successful in the minor grades in all positions in the backline, his chances out wide were pretty decent I would suggest. I said from the beginning of this year Barrett should have brought him into grade on the wing. Never happened, despite Barrett apparently saying he was intending to play him wide. Barrett then threw him into the side at 5/8, when the side was already falling apart. I repeat, he made a great fist of his only game in the centre. Easy to forget that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12