Tom Wright Gone and Jade Anderson on the outer?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Some interesting insights people have;

What does it mean to be defensively poor and does being defensively poor make you not tough? Well we need to find a half a new team. I think the way defence is taught today contributes to this. The need to stop 2nd phase, to tackle ball and all, requires an upright defensive style. Physics will tell you when you stand tall in an unathletic position like that and your opposite, who weighs up to 20kg more is running straight at you while you slide sideways that isnt a battle you often win.

Then, what is someone who cant tackle? Is it missed tackles? ineffective tackles? Does a look at the season Tackle effectiveness of our backs tells a story. There were 440 players who played first grade this year and this is how ours ranked:

436. J Wright 60%
428. Uate 65%
408. Kelly 72%
391. Taufua 74%
384. T Trbojevic 75%
367. D Walker 77%
356. Hodkinson/Parker/T Wright 78%
279. Cherry 83%
228. Suli 86%

J Wright, Uate and Kelly were all in the bottom 10% defensively with Taufua scrapping just above the cut. Taking it down to the bottom 15% brings in Taufua and Tommy Turbo. Does this mean they aren't tough or we should get rid of them or they cant tackle?

Im not sure I see how the argument has come to questioning T Wright's toughness or that he cant tackle, he was far from the worst offender in our team. His tackle technique needed work, definitely. I guess when you are 2 and 1/2 years into learning the game vs many who probably start as 6 year olds you are a little behind in the learning curve not to mention his first year of development was destroyed through injuries.

Then again the recruitment team have found us and maybe not surprisingly the following replacements:

418. B Elliot 64%
390. K Elgey 74%

Its been well documented that both kids Wright and Anderson have x factor there seems many reasons why it wasn't development an nurtured properly or long enough, shame either way to lose promising kids like this. Im just thankful the likes of Cliffy and Phil Blake played in an era when structure wasnt paramount before all else, where creativity and x-factor weren't a liability and I got to enjoy watching them.

J Wright played what? 1 game of 1st grade this season? I'll choose to disregard him from a sample group.

Every player who plays first grade is tough. Its the toughness in attitude to apply yourself.

Wright got an offer to go back to 2 tackles a game Union, or stick it out with league.

Toughness to apply yourself. Lacking.

smithy

Reserve Grader
J Wright played what? 1 game of 1st grade this season? I'll choose to disregard him from a sample group.

Every player who plays first grade is tough. Its the toughness in attitude to apply yourself.

Wright got an offer to go back to 2 tackles a game Union, or stick it out with league.

Toughness to apply yourself. Lacking.

Its a percentage. Playing one game or 24 makes no difference its still the amount of tackles made vs those missed and ineffective. Do you believe his tackle efficiency would have infinitely improved with more games?

This whole thread started based around Zorba saying they were told to look elsewhere, do you have inside information that this isn't true? Mine, as I stated much earlier in the thread is that he is correct in what he said. So I question that his " toughness" in attitude to apply himself wasn't lacking at all. He was told to look elsewhere and he did. My comment was it was a shame the two boys werent nurtured better or for longer.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Its a percentage. Playing one game or 24 makes no difference its still the amount of tackles made vs those missed and ineffective. Do you believe his tackle efficiency would have infinitely improved with more games?

This whole thread started based around Zorba saying they were told to look elsewhere, do you have inside information that this isn't true? Mine, as I stated much earlier in the thread is that he is correct in what he said. So I question that his " toughness" in attitude to apply himself wasn't lacking at all. He was told to look elsewhere and he did. My comment was it was a shame the two boys werent nurtured better or for longer.

What missed tackle stats don't show is the times that a guy is out of position and doesn't get a hand on his opposite to be charged for a miss

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
It amazes me the downer some on this forum are giving Tom Wright. But then again I've seen similar comments made of DCE and Tom T. Lets get some issues clear here. Tom Wright went back to Union because he wasn't wanted by the Sea Eagles and he was wanted by the best coach in the Australian business of that game. Its far more than about money, its about respect. He could see what Wright offered, that some coaches in RL couldn't. He didn't just walk out. He had a year left on his contract. Like Gutho, he was shown the door. If Manly had wanted him to stay they would not have let him go.

The problem we have with kids with exceptional talent is that in our minds we raise the bar with them. We expect more from them than other players because we are waiting for that talent to break open a game, and when it doesn't happen we start looking for flaws. I well recall this with Cliff Lyons a couple of decades ago. There were several in the media who were giving him loads because the team wasn't doing well and they saw the player with the talent, who wins us many of the games, not being able to lift the side. They were virtually blaming him for the performances of the team.

The thing is we don't look at the other players the same way because our expectations are lower with them. Pointing the finger at Tom Wright for his defensive problems for example, is a case in point. We have seen several players in this Manly club, with far less talent, let in try after try. But our expectations are less with them so we don't pick on them as much. What I saw of Tom Wright was that he generally played competently. defended quite well, had some flaws in positioning and involvement, and then had these explosive moments when he set the game alight. I remember watching the St George game when he was in the centre (only time) and he scored that remarkable try. He was ready to explode, but for reasons beyond my belief (probably from Barrett who obviously didn't want him..why else buy Suli mid season and use him before Wright), the ball kept going to the left. The problem was it headed for Kelly's side over and again and St George were alert to it and sandwiched Kelly to the sideline every time DCE and TT ran the ball towards the St George line. I recall one instance when DCE ran towards Wright, with the kid in open space, and DCE propped back. You could see the frustration in Wrights expression throwing his hands in the air.

If I seem a little angered by this decision to let the kid go, you are damned right. I've watched the game for 52 years and you come to know when there's someone of worth on the rise. He was one of those players. It was a dumb decision. Wright sensed he wasn't wanted, was encouraged to the door, and Cheika, the Australian Rugby coach, grabbed the opportunity. I would suspect he knows enough about the game to know when he's nabbed a pearl

Volley

Bencher
Yeah he is very ordinary. Wright is even worse.

Haha nope. Elgey is 24 going on 25 and he’d be targeted in defence and found wanting in Group 11 Under 18’s. Wright is 21, and he held his own in the u20’s at least and wasn’t too bad in firsts. Quite a bit to work on, but many do at that age.

I just don’t understand why’d you throw someone like Tom Wright away and sign a proven nuff in Brendan Elliott. Boggles the mind. He’s horrid.

Pepi

Bencher
The same people in here mourning the loss of Wright are the same people that haven't seen a single game that he has played for Blacktown this year. Truth is he didn't stand out in a team with guys like Jono Wright and Joey Lussick.

You would hope that this superstar could at least show more than the occasional runaway try in competition full of washed up first graders and part time players.

Volley

Bencher
Fifteen other NRL clubs had the chance to sign Tom Wright as well, either his manager is crap or they were not interested.

He was under contract for next season, other clubs aren’t allowed to negotiate with him. Rugby Union don’t have to adhere to NRL rules.

Volley

Bencher
The same people in here mourning the loss of Wright are the same people that haven't seen a single game that he has played for Blacktown this year. Truth is he didn't stand out in a team with guys like Jono Wright and Joey Lussick.

You would hope that this superstar could at least show more than the occasional runaway try in competition full of washed up first graders and part time players.

Some players lift to the level they’re playing at. Shaun Lane was very ordinary when playing in Reserves, but chuck him in against better players and he lifted.

I wasn’t sold on him; but he showed talent that can’t be coached. We’ve now apparently signed Brendan Elliott, who has been released by 3 clubs, the Roosters, Newcastle and the Titans, the latter two are hardly filled with world beater outside backs.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
It amazes me the downer some on this forum are giving Tom Wright. But then again I've seen similar comments made of DCE and Tom T. Lets get some issues clear here. Tom Wright went back to Union because he wasn't wanted by the Sea Eagles and he was wanted by the best coach in the Australian business of that game. Its far more than about money, its about respect. He could see what Wright offered, that some coaches in RL couldn't. He didn't just walk out. He had a year left on his contract. Like Gutho, he was shown the door. If Manly had wanted him to stay they would not have let him go.

The problem we have with kids with exceptional talent is that in our minds we raise the bar with them. We expect more from them than other players because we are waiting for that talent to break open a game, and when it doesn't happen we start looking for flaws. I well recall this with Cliff Lyons a couple of decades ago. There were several in the media who were giving him loads because the team wasn't doing well and they saw the player with the talent, who wins us many of the games, not being able to lift the side. They were virtually blaming him for the performances of the team.

The thing is we don't look at the other players the same way because our expectations are lower with them. Pointing the finger at Tom Wright for his defensive problems for example, is a case in point. We have seen several players in this Manly club, with far less talent, let in try after try. But our expectations are less with them so we don't pick on them as much. What I saw of Tom Wright was that he generally played competently. defended quite well, had some flaws in positioning and involvement, and then had these explosive moments when he set the game alight. I remember watching the St George game when he was in the centre (only time) and he scored that remarkable try. He was ready to explode, but for reasons beyond my belief (probably from Barrett who obviously didn't want him..why else buy Suli mid season and use him before Wright), the ball kept going to the left. The problem was it headed for Kelly's side over and again and St George were alert to it and sandwiched Kelly to the sideline every time DCE and TT ran the ball towards the St George line. I recall one instance when DCE ran towards Wright, with the kid in open space, and DCE propped back. You could see the frustration in Wrights expression throwing his hands in the air.

If I seem a little angered by this decision to let the kid go, you are damned right. I've watched the game for 52 years and you come to know when there's someone of worth on the rise. He was one of those players. It was a dumb decision. Wright sensed he wasn't wanted, was encouraged to the door, and Cheika, the Australian Rugby coach, grabbed the opportunity. I would suspect he knows enough about the game to know when he's nabbed a pearl

I'll just zero in on one flabbergasting area of that post

Are you calling Cheika a good coach ? :eek:

Volley

Bencher
They are if they are told he are not wanted.

I think he decided he wanted to go back to Union. Manly mightn’t have been willing to release him to another NRL club but were happy for him to go to Union. You’ll never know if there might’ve been interest from other NRL clubs.

Volley

Bencher
I'll just zero in on one flabbergasting area of that post

Are you calling Cheika a good coach ? :eek:

The Waratahs won the Super Rugby title under him. He can’t help the complete lack of talent he has at the Wallabies.

The Wallabies were ordinary under Robbie Deans. Average coach?

manly al

First Grader
Would again have preferred Tom to stay for another season and would have certainly expected that whoever made the call that his prospects and opportunity for i st grade at Manly were going to be limited next season , had very good reason to do so . Rating him behind Parker and young Funa would seem a bit dubious , Suli [ even allowing for some of his defence issues ] more understandable but then bringing in Elliot and Garrick instead , quite questionable again . Again certainly not privy to all of Tom"s player ratings at Black Town , general and training attitude and participation and so on , Guess that it ultimately came down to his own and the ' powers that be ' judgement call that he was better of to look at other opportunities elsewhere .

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Im not sure I see how the argument has come to questioning T Wright's toughness

I raised my concerns over Wrights mental toughness ..... nothing to do with defence or tackling .... I was talking about the toughness to grind out 80min of NRL pressure ... I honestly believe that this has always been the major concern, and not his perceived football ability ....

He generally only did Captains run with 20s most weeks and the odd session here and there. His development was squarely in the hands of the first grade coaching staff.

Ridiculous assertion ...... whilst ever player from u/16's up are under the head coaches umbrella, to suggest that Wayne Lambkin wasn't instrumental in Wright's coaching is just ridiculous ...

Fifteen other NRL clubs had the chance to sign Tom Wright as well, either his manager is crap or they were not interested.

In fairness in Tom's own report he says they approached Manly for a release and thanked manly for granting it ..... that seems to suggest that he was not placed on the market but had done a deal with Union exclusively and did not approach other NRL teams ..

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Interesting snippet from Danny Weidler’s column today. Eagles ring changes, but Barrett out of the loop

The club has also let go exciting young prospect Tom Wright.

Ferris’ exit, Wright’s departure and the potential hiring of Ballin have all been done without the consent of Barrett, which is a clear indication he won’t be coach next season and has no power.

The Barrett camp has instructed its legal team to watch every move the club is making believing the Sea Eagles may be in breach of contract because decisions are being made without the coach’s approval. Obviously, Manly assistant John Cartwright is happy with the changes, as he is the most likely next coach.

So now the word is Barrett had nothing to do with the release of Tom Wright ...... who are the sore bottom Barrett haters going to blame now .... ?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16