Tom Wright Gone and Jade Anderson on the outer?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Compare Tom Wright's debut in first grade ..... with that Jamil kid from Penrith during SOO .....

Jamil at 20 yo on debut walked on to the oval and said I own this game .... and then proceeded to take command and ran the show for 80 mins ...... now that is a footballer ....

Bugger Nathan Cleary ..... Jamil is the kid I would throw the kitchen sink at .......

Edit .. Not Jamil .... Jarome Luai is the one I am rambling about ...

Last edited:
Ramien (in Cronulla's finals side), Hiku (in Warriors' finals side), Whare (in Penrith's finals side), Gutherson, Hargraves (in Sydney City's finals side). And then we see Knight in Canberra firsts. That's four of six of the first graders in other clubs playing finals football, while our bunch are second last. Lose Anderson and Tom Wright and you lose two of the fastest players in the club, just when we need pace in the backline. Are we therefore stuck with Parker , Taufua and Matt Wright as wingers...please. What else can we expect from this lot. Schuster being offered big money to play elsewhere?

Not quite comparable examples, we are talking youth prospects Gutherson, Hiku, Whare and arguably JWH had established themselves as first graders before they left.

I'm not saying we haven't lost players that would be useful......I just think sometimes people overestimate these "next big things"

Last edited:
Mixed feelings with this. Given all the current negative press/speculation I cannot help but feel this makes it feel that little bit worse than it is. I agree with a number of posters that Wright is better suited to Rugby. I have seen a few games of NYC, and apart from the semi against the Sharks where he virtually won the game for us, he was rocks or diamonds and certainly didn't know the meaning of the word 'playing safe' (chips in his own in goal, grubbers for himself etc). He may have had speed and a step but where does he play - I disagree he would make a good winger and he is not going to force out Walker or Kelly. 5/8? Again not a lot of strucuteand with DCE we need that type of foil.

Interesting in the article that it says he asked for a release from the final year of his contract. wasn't he reported to be on $150k a season? If that is the case then maybe it is a win/win for player and the club. Also interesting in the article it states "the uncertainty of who is coaching Manly" as one of the key reaons for leaving. Given that he has hardly played under Barrett that again feels like drawing a long bow.
Pretty much summarizes my outlook on the matter as well though i still would have preferred to have seen how he might have gone as a winger prospect , not only next season but certainly also last season towards the end . And there were limited positions very most likely available for him in Manly i st grade next season apart from wing . Best 20 "s game did seem to be against the the Sharks in 2017 play offs but again i guess that we are talking about standard 20 "s defence also and in reality while having so much promise , also produced quite patchy form . as things did pan out throughout his time with the club . No doubt would not have been released to another N R L club and would be expected to do well back in union . Of course a very good athlete with adequate skills but the fact that he can be expected to do better back in Rugby probably says it all in terms of his present situation and playing ist grade prospects at Manly. Can only wish him well , no reason why he can not return to league in the future but just like the unknown if he could ,have made a better fist of it next season at Manly [ and there were still some doubts there ] , this will probably also remain an unknown .

Ramien (in Cronulla's finals side), Hiku (in Warriors' finals side), Whare (in Penrith's finals side), Gutherson, Hargraves (in Sydney City's finals side). And then we see Knight in Canberra firsts. That's four of six of the first graders in other clubs playing finals football, while our bunch are second last. Lose Anderson and Tom Wright and you lose two of the fastest players in the club, just when we need pace in the backline. Are we therefore stuck with Parker , Taufua and Matt Wright as wingers...please. What else can we expect from this lot. Schuster being offered big money to play elsewhere?

Good groups, star players. When any club has an under 20's making or winning a gf the pick of those teams are your club for a decade.

We've had 2 make a gf in recent times.

Currently in our top 30 we just have turbo to show for it don't we? Actually fainu as well.

That is a disgrace.

#boothepenn
#pennandzorbahavegottogo
#2visManlyin2vitrust

Last edited:
Compare Tom Wright's debut in first grade ..... with that Jamil kid from Penrith during SOO .....

Jamil at 20 yo on debut walked on to the oval and said I own this game .... and then proceeded to take command and ran the show for 80 mins ...... now that is a footballer ....

Bugger Nathan Cleary ..... Jamil is the kid I would throw the kitchen sink at .......

Edit .. Not Jamil .... Jarome Luai is the one I am rambling about ...
And he got smashed by the Broncos a week or two later playing fullback for Penrith one game don’t make you a first grader.

Good groups, star players. When any club has an under 20's making or winning a gf the pick of those teams are your club for a decade.

We've had 2 make a gf in recent times.

Currently in our top 30 we just have turbo to show for it don't we?

That is a disgrace.

#boothepenn
#pennandzorbahavegottogo
#2visManlyin2vitrust

Sorry mate, disagree.

I've said it before roughly a quarter of players that were stars in NYC go on to be regulars/stars in the NRL.

As we take more than a passing interest in all things Manly have a look at our 2009 NYC Champs - only DCE, Foz, Ferris and JWH have gone on to be genuine first graders.

I could go through other years and the conversion rate is predominantly the same.

Bit disappointed as I thought he could have been an exciting xfactor player (probably dreaming of the next Phil Blake but that can’t happen in today’s rigid percentage play footy). Didn’t seem to have a stream of other NRL clubs going hard for him, so good luck in the rugby young man.

Mixed feelings with this. Given all the current negative press/speculation I cannot help but feel this makes it feel that little bit worse than it is. I agree with a number of posters that Wright is better suited to Rugby. I have seen a few games of NYC, and apart from the semi against the Sharks where he virtually won the game for us, he was rocks or diamonds and certainly didn't know the meaning of the word 'playing safe' (chips in his own in goal, grubbers for himself etc). He may have had speed and a step but where does he play - I disagree he would make a good winger and he is not going to force out Walker or Kelly. 5/8? Again not a lot of strucuteand with DCE we need that type of foil.

Interesting in the article that it says he asked for a release from the final year of his contract. wasn't he reported to be on $150k a season? If that is the case then maybe it is a win/win for player and the club. Also interesting in the article it states "the uncertainty of who is coaching Manly" as one of the key reaons for leaving. Given that he has hardly played under Barrett that again feels like drawing a long bow.
Look he made one break and scored a try. He has already exceeded expectations time to move on.
NYEagle

not much love on here for the kid but this is a bloody disgrace that i lay at the door of that guys pretending to be our coachs. Barrett , Carty and Ferris couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag.

Our amazing young talent has all stuttered and faltered over this past 3 years. Guys that are so much better than those picked each and every week left in the reggies.

Good luck Tom Wright. I hope you absolutely smash them in Canberra and end up in a Wallaby strip before long. you have the talent lets just hope the brains trust in the ACT is better than the us... God knows it wouldn't be hard....

Sorry mate, disagree.

I've said it before roughly a quarter of players that were stars in NYC go on to be regulars/stars in the NRL.

As we take more than a passing interest in all things Manly have a look at our 2009 NYC Champs - only DCE, Foz, Ferris and JWH have gone on to be genuine first graders.

I could go through other years and the conversion rate is predominantly the same.
I'm not sure we disagree. DCE, Foz, Ferris. They made up a pretty crucial part of this club post 2009.

But does a club have to retain, attempt to develop, give a proper go, for a group good enough to make or win a lower grade gf to become regular first graders.

You keep the cream of your crop surely.

Turbo may have been the star, but one person didn't make it to a grand final all on his own in 2015.

3 years down the track.

1 Brent Naden (c)
2 Fuimanu Enese
3 Robert Jennings
4 Maliko Filino
5 Dylan Edwards #
6 Tyrone May #
7 Jarome Luai #
8 Oliver Clark
9 Soni Luke (c) #
10 Moses Leota #
11 James Fisher-Harris #
12 Corey Harawira-Naera #
13 Reed Izzard#

Interchange
14 Kaide Ellis#
15 Thomson Tuigimala
16 Paea Pua#
17 Jake Ennis?

1 Tom Trbojevic %
2 Jesse Bogle
3 Addison Demetriou
4 Jesse Ramien
5 Mitch Thomas
6 William Pearsall
7 Riley Travers (c)
8 Liam Knight
9 Hugh Pratt
10 Jesse Maxwell
11 Luke Garner
12 William Bainbridge
13 Darcy Cox

Interchange
14 Nicholas Hynes
15 James Parker
16 Dallas Koen
17 Moses Noovao-McGreal

# player still at the Riffs or their ISC =10
% player still at Manly or their ISC. =1

Most of our blokes were not even here the following year.

I'd still prefer Bainbridge, Garner, Haynes, Knight, Pearsall, Ramien over plenty we now have on the books.

2017 won the bloody thing. Tom Wright was the star. And that crop is also close to extinction.

They can't all be rubbish.

I'm not sure we disagree. DCE, Foz, Ferris. They made up a pretty crucial part of this club post 2009.

But does a club have to retain, attempt to develop, give a proper go, for a group good enough to make or win a lower grade gf to become regular first graders.

You keep the cream of your crop surely.

Turbo may have been the star, but one person didn't make it to a grand final all on his own in 2015.

3 years down the track.

1 Brent Naden (c)
2 Fuimanu Enese
3 Robert Jennings
4 Maliko Filino
5 Dylan Edwards #
6 Tyrone May #
7 Jarome Luai #
8 Oliver Clark
9 Soni Luke (c) #
10 Moses Leota #
11 James Fisher-Harris #
12 Corey Harawira-Naera #
13 Reed Izzard#

Interchange
14 Kaide Ellis#
15 Thomson Tuigimala
16 Paea Pua#
17 Jake Ennis?

1 Tom Trbojevic %
2 Jesse Bogle
3 Addison Demetriou
4 Jesse Ramien
5 Mitch Thomas
6 William Pearsall
7 Riley Travers (c)
8 Liam Knight
9 Hugh Pratt
10 Jesse Maxwell
11 Luke Garner
12 William Bainbridge
13 Darcy Cox

Interchange
14 Nicholas Hynes
15 James Parker
16 Dallas Koen
17 Moses Noovao-McGreal

# player still at the Riffs or their ISC =10
% player still at Manly or their ISC. =1

Most of our blokes were not even here the following year.

I'd still prefer Bainbridge, Garner, Haynes, Knight, Pearsall, Ramien over plenty we now have on the books.

2017 won the bloody thing. Tom Wright was the star. And that crop is also close to extinction.

They can't all be rubbish.

A few of last year's Holden Cup winning squad would be knocking on the door of first grade in 2019 surely. Fainu and Wright already debuted this year. Cust and Anderson have a decent chance. Not sure about any of the forwards yet.

The only players currently in NRL (anywhere) from that 2015 squad are Turbo, Ramien and Knight who is doing okay at the Raiders. Bainbridge took a year off to recover from injuries I believe, I don't know if he will return.

https://www.brumbies.com.au/2018/09/plus500-brumbies-sign-tom-wright/

Barrett's legacy

3 years of Lewis Brown, Matt Wright and Frank Winterstein while letting promising young players leave

Wtf!! Barrett is a kok. Tom Wright is so talented, yet Barrett unable to coach and nurture the kid.

Is Barrett gone yet?

Seriously, a joke. So we get to keep fatboi lazy and slow as fuk Suli, and we let Tom Wright go.

Best if luck to Tom Wright as I am sure he will be a success for the Brumbies.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8