Tom Wright Gone and Jade Anderson on the outer?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Again in the MD today Zorba in his column is saying that the club ‘moved him on’, clearly the bloke asked for a release.

Funnily enough Zorba continues to bag the club in the column discussing our terrible winger options etc.

How he can continue to publish stuff like this as a club consultant I have no idea.

Manly Daily today
http://newslocal.smedia.com.au/manly-daily/

Wingers and a prayer
Manly must realise these players are now major weapons

THE sooner the Manly Sea Eagles come to terms with the fact that wingers are now major weapons in the modern game the better.

This year, Manly had by far the most ineffective wingers in the premiership.

This was further emphasised when the club’s most experienced and best winger Akuila Uate :shake:was sidelined for the season with an ankle injury and subsequently told to look elsewhere.

Manly’s wingers lacked real speed, size and the amazing acrobatic finishing touches possessed by the likes of the Warriors’ David Fusitua, Melbourne’s Josh Addo-Carr and Suliasi Vunivalu and Canberra’s Jordan Rapana and Nick Cotric, who are matchwinners.

They are excitement machines. Tall in the main and experts at using the corner post to their advantage when touching down from seemingly impossible positions.

The final game for Manly against the Brisbane Broncos reinforced what fans had witnessed all season.

The Broncos’ left winger Corey Oates scored four tries and their right winger Jamayne Isaako scored one.

It was double trouble out wide all season for Manly, with the wingers unable to prevent or score tries in the main.

WRONG WRIGHT CALL

SO, WHAT is being done about rectifying the position for next season? As tipped in this column last week, promising youngster Tom Wright has been moved on despite the fact he was upgraded for a further season just 12 months ago.

Wright has blinding speed and has been a three-year project for the club since switching from rugby as a schoolboy. He was rarely given a crack at a wing spot despite his ability to play any position in the backline.

Manly went overboard to sign the youngster. He was a guest in the owner’s suite, taken onto the field to watch a pre-game warm-up and invited into the dressing room to sing the victory song after a home win.

And now he is gone.

MONEY GAME

PLAYER managers talk plenty and they are reporting that Manly is again paying incentives for ordinary players. It is a trap the big clubs do not fall for any more. Incentives come in bonuses promised if players play more games in the NRL than expected.

Take a player promised $3000 on top of his contract for every first grade game he plays. The NRL then adds the maximum amount that could be paid to that player in the salary cap. That could be the $3000 multiplied by 25 games

— or $75,000 — not being able to be used by the club.

Not a good path to go down if the reports are true.

FINALLY, WOMEN

CONGRATULATIONS to the NRL for the timely introduction of women’s rugby league to coincide with the start of finals football.

The Broncos v Dragons and Roosters v Warriors were outstanding games and showcased the skill of the women in all aspects of the game.

The 13-a-side game is the next level up from touch and there are plenty of budding stars on the northern beaches who will be drawn to league in the next few years.

The Sea Eagles need to get a professional women’s team together because the competition will grow rapidly..

Last edited:

The Wright switch

Rising Sea Eagle chases Rugby World Cup spot
Jon Geddes

CLASSY young back Tom Wright could end up playing for the Wallabies in the 2019 Rugby World Cup after being released by the Sea Eagles to join the ACT Brumbies.

Discussions with Wallabies coach Michael Cheika and his Brumbies counterpart Dan McKellar convinced the 21-year-old the right decision was to leave Manly while still having another year to run on his contact.

“You look at the landscape of Australian rugby and they are really short in the 10 and 12 spots,” said a spokesman from his management team Runway Sports.

“We had a really productive talk with Dan McKellar and he really pressed that. They want him to start there in Super Rugby next year.

“Tom had chats with Michael Cheika and he didn’t promise anything but said they had a number of vacancies in that space at the moment. Cheik made it clear that if Tom can play well and show what he has got he would have no hesitation in picking him.”

Wright, a standout schoolboy rugby player at St Joseph’s College, spent three seasons at Manly. He was a key figure in the club’s under-20s premiership-winning side last year and played five NRL games this year, scoring a spectacular solo try against St George Illawarra at WIN Stadium.

“He had re-signed until the end of 2019 and we requested a release and they granted that. We were thankful that they did,” the manager said.

Wright said: “I always dreamt of playing Super Rugby and now I have this fantastic opportunity to test myself at the highest level.” At the same time it was hard to leave Manly where he had such good mates.

Wright phoned a number of them before he signed with the Brumbies for two years. The manager said Wright would return to rugby a far better player after his time at Manly, working in the fulltime professional environment alongside the likes of Daly Cherry-Evans, Dylan Walker and Jake and Tom Trbojevic.

Last edited:
Talk about putting the boot in - I say it is something to do with his consulting being terminated by Lyall early

Agree mate something has obviously happened, because the past month or so it’s been a Manly bashing. It’s a horrible look to have this article finish in bold with Peter Peters is a Sea Eagles Media and Marketing consultant.

Come on Woodsie. By 2016, Matai and Lyon were dead in the water. They knew they needed replacements. Thing is both Whare and Hiku as well as Ramien and Gutho are now well regarded first grade players elsewhere. Hiku and Whare are NZ test players and Ramien is considered a future test player. Gutho could also follow if he can regains his 2017 form at Parra. That's a lot of talent to let go, especially with Matai and Lyon on their last legs.

Whether they were dead in the water or not at the end of 2015 is debatable ... what isn't is the fact that Matai, Lyon and Brett were still contracted to the club for another 2 years .....

You have to admit that there was no way in heaven or hell that Manly would have been able to keep all the following fullbacks and centres and stay within $2 million of the salary cap ..

Brett Stewart
Tom Turbo
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
Whare
Dylan Walker
Tim Moltzen
Peta Hiku
Gutherson

and there was no way Turbo, Lyon, Stuart or Matai were ever going to be the ones to go ....

The Wright switch

Jon Geddes

CLASSY young back Tom Wright could end up playing for the Wallabies in the 2019 Rugby World Cup after being released by the Sea Eagles to join the ACT Brumbies.

Discussions with Wallabies coach Michael Cheika and his Brumbies counterpart Dan McKellar convinced the 21-year-old the right decision was to leave Manly while still having another year to run on his contact.

“You look at the landscape of Australian rugby and they are really short in the 10 and 12 spots,” said a spokesman from his management team Runway Sports.

“We had a really productive talk with Dan McKellar and he really pressed that. They want him to start there in Super Rugby next year.

“Tom had chats with Michael Cheika and he didn’t promise anything but said they had a number of vacancies in that space at the moment. Cheik made it clear that if Tom can play well and show what he has got he would have no hesitation in picking him.”

Wright, a standout schoolboy rugby player at St Joseph’s College, spent three seasons at Manly. He was a key figure in the club’s under-20s premiership-winning side last year and played five NRL games this year, scoring a spectacular solo try against St George Illawarra at WIN Stadium.

“He had re-signed until the end of 2019 and we requested a release and they granted that. We were thankful that they did,” the manager said.

Wright said: “I always dreamt of playing Super Rugby and now I have this fantastic opportunity to test myself at the highest level.” At the same time it was hard to leave Manly where he had such good mates.

Wright phoned a number of them before he signed with the Brumbies for two years. The manager said Wright would return to rugby a far better player after his time at Manly, working in the fulltime professional environment alongside the likes of Daly Cherry-Evans, Dylan Walker and Jake and Tom Trbojevic.

Gee.....that really sounds luke Manly pushed the bloke out the door lol

He has basically been promised a Wallaby spot if he can stay in the Brumbies side. Not a tall order.

So can we stop believing the fat numpty that Wright was axed??

This is one time I fully support Peters. Whether he's been given short shift by the Penns or what, he's saying something that is patently obvious. Manly have NO WINGERS who have the speed to counter opposition wingers. Both Anderson and Tom Wright should have been brought into the first grade much earlier. Instead we had Croker, who was a far less option than Tom Wright, even if Tom had difficulties with 5/8 at first grade level in ONE GAME. We had 'run around' Taufua and Parker, both probably better suited to the forwards, and the slow and safe Matt Wright. DUMB. When Walker wasn't off the field, he was usually at 5/8, a position not suited to his style. It weakened 5/8 and it weakened centre without his blinding speed. And for those who disagree, check out the fact that 60% less tries were scored by the backs this year compared to last...and we ended up just short of the spoon.

As for Tom Wright, Manly will rue the loss of this talented kid. He had an X factor and speed needed in our backline. His defence was no worse than several other players in this side, and that's obvious when you compare missed tackles in games he played. Barrett and Blacktown showed they had no idea how to use him, playing him in every backline position throughout the year. The kid is a confidence player, and its obvious Barrett had no confidence in him. No wonder we didn't see the best of him. But its done now...and probably Anderson as well, so we are back to the safe and slow (unless Manly buys a couple of fast wingers) and an assurance that the wingers wont be the big scorers next season.

He is more or less guaranteed a wallabies jersey if he stays fit, so a no brainer. It’s an inferior sport, but what the hey.

He probably already would be a wallaby if he didn’t try league. They practically pick schoolboys, such is the lack of choice of players in certain positions.

Who wouldn't go given the basket case that is/was/might be/who the hell knows out coaching staff.

Good luck kid. Hope you kill Em in the green and yellow.

The Wright switch

Jon Geddes

Money talks and that is what I am hearing from Tom .

Opportunity = potential money....
And Tom was not given anywhere near enough opportunities this season.
To either settle into a consistent developmental role at Blacktown, or on the wing/ centre at NRL level.

Whether they were dead in the water or not at the end of 2015 is debatable ... what isn't is the fact that Matai, Lyon and Brett were still contracted to the club for another 2 years .....

You have to admit that there was no way in heaven or hell that Manly would have been able to keep all the following fullbacks and centres and stay within $2 million of the salary cap ..

Brett Stewart
Tom Turbo
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
Whare
Dylan Walker
Tim Moltzen
Peta Hiku
Gutherson

and there was no way Turbo, Lyon, Stuart or Matai were ever going to be the ones to go ....
I dont agree with you very often but this time I think you've got it right there .

Can't believe people are getting bent out of shape about TGWH. He's got some obvious skills but as a complete NRL package he's well short of the mark. A superstar talent which would be gut wrenching to lose is someone like Tommy Turbo or Kalyn Ponga - kids who take opportunities when presented and are standouts. Even Latrell, AJ Brimson, Cotric etc are the same age and have already shown they have the talent, drive and commitment to make it at NRL level. Wright isn't in that class. Saying he had no opportunity is a cop out, he's been here for 3 years and had ample time to show his wares. Suli and Parker are pretty much the same age as him and they are getting picked ahead of him so what does that tell you about Wright ?? He asked for a release, it was granted, let's move on as I'm sure both parties are happy with the outcome.

The kid had talent. No doubt at all.

The kid also had crazy brain snaps and it seemed (to me) patently obvious that the tough stuff required of consistent NRL players, was not something he looked interested in doing.

But we can all rue the loss of a Youtube highlight reel sensation.

Who knows if he would have cracked it as a first grade star. Personally, from what I saw, I doubt it.

But the sky is falling, so just another day in the life.

And that is the crux Nice Beaver....the kid had talent.

Was that talent nurtured, by being played in a consistent position, and to be groomed for the future.
Was his lack of toughness rectified ?

Will we ever know if he could have cracked it as a 1st grade star ?

No, these questions will never be answered, thanks to the eternal rookie coach.

And that is the crux Nice Beaver....the kid had talent.

Was that talent nurtured, by being played in a consistent position, and to be groomed for the future.
Was his lack of toughness rectified ?

Will we ever know if he could have cracked it as a 1st grade star ?

No, these questions will never be answered, thanks to the eternal rookie coach.

Except most of his time he was under the direct coaching of Wayne Lambkin ... a noted and very successful development coach of juniors ..

His position kept changing because he was found wanting in all of them ...

But let's not let that get in the way of blaming Baz .. . wow. if only Barrett could have known that all it took to rectify a toughness problem was to say .... be tougher ... I am sure that would have worked ...

Some interesting insights people have;

What does it mean to be defensively poor and does being defensively poor make you not tough? Well we need to find a half a new team. I think the way defence is taught today contributes to this. The need to stop 2nd phase, to tackle ball and all, requires an upright defensive style. Physics will tell you when you stand tall in an unathletic position like that and your opposite, who weighs up to 20kg more is running straight at you while you slide sideways that isnt a battle you often win.

Then, what is someone who cant tackle? Is it missed tackles? ineffective tackles? Does a look at the season Tackle effectiveness of our backs tells a story. There were 440 players who played first grade this year and this is how ours ranked:

436. J Wright 60%
428. Uate 65%
408. Kelly 72%
391. Taufua 74%
384. T Trbojevic 75%
367. D Walker 77%
356. Hodkinson/Parker/T Wright 78%
279. Cherry 83%
228. Suli 86%

J Wright, Uate and Kelly were all in the bottom 10% defensively with Taufua scrapping just above the cut. Taking it down to the bottom 15% brings in Taufua and Tommy Turbo. Does this mean they aren't tough or we should get rid of them or they cant tackle?

Im not sure I see how the argument has come to questioning T Wright's toughness or that he cant tackle, he was far from the worst offender in our team. His tackle technique needed work, definitely. I guess when you are 2 and 1/2 years into learning the game vs many who probably start as 6 year olds you are a little behind in the learning curve not to mention his first year of development was destroyed through injuries.

Then again the recruitment team have found us and maybe not surprisingly the following replacements:

418. B Elliot 64%
390. K Elgey 74%

Its been well documented that both kids Wright and Anderson have x factor there seems many reasons why it wasn't developed and nurtured properly or long enough, shame either way to lose promising kids like this. For those who entered the debate on Baz v lambkin influence; Wright entered fulltime training upon leaving school and starting with the club. He generally only did Captains run with 20s most weeks and the odd session here and there. His development was squarely in the hands of the first grade coaching staff. Ultimately Im just thankful the likes of Cliffy and Phil Blake played in an era when structure wasn't paramount before all else, where creativity and x-factor weren't a liability and I got to enjoy watching them.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12