The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
One question, not necessarily just about Schuster.....

How is it that some players, and Shoe is one, are being praised for their good defense, when we are giving up around 40 points per game.

Its not just Parker or Garrick or Saab or Croker or Gosiewski who are the ones causing that you know.
Have a look at the stats & you’ll see Schuster is top of the list for effective tackles with very few misses whilst the others you mention have missed many more! Trys have not been scored because of Schuster missed tackles but have because of the others!

Have a look at the stats & you’ll see Schuster is top of the list for effective tackles with very few misses whilst the others you mention have missed many more! Trys have not been scored because of Schuster missed tackles but have because of the others!

You're missing the point. No one on this team should be given a pass for having good defense when we are giving up around 40 points per game.

Maybe someone gives a rats, the others maybe not? Anyone looking to place blame on this guy REALLY needs to have a good look at themselves, as they are living in denial! Seriously your 19/20 playing in a NRL side getting flogged week in week out, I am really surprised he's playing so well, fair dinkum his role models are showing great leadership qualities....

In balance maybe he needs not to make those miracle tap on's EVERY play.

You're missing the point. No one on this team should be given a pass for having good defense when we are giving up around 40 points per game.
I get that mate. I’m just concerned some seem to be blaming Schuster for the mistakes made by the other players listed? Not sure what they expect from him after 4 games. He’s at least trying whilst others are not capable! He’s not missing tackles which directly lead to a try. Yes the team as a whole are responsible for the dismal start to this season but to single him out when supposed regular 1st graders are not is a bit rich so yeah I will defend him! I won’t cop him getting bagged when players like Croker, Parker, Gosiewski & a few others can’t hold onto a fvcking ball or miss tackles. Sorry mate I’m just frustrated with the whole situation!

Last edited:
I get that mate. I’m just concerned some seem to be blaming Schuster for the mistakes made by the other players listed? Not sure what they expect from him after 4 games. He’s at least trying whilst others are not capable! He’s not missing tackles which are a direct of a try. Yes the team as a whole are responsible for the dismal start to this season but to single him out when supposed regular 1st graders are not is a bit rich so yeah I will defend him! I won’t cop him getting bagged when players like Croker, Parker, Gosiewski & a few others can’t hold onto a fvcking ball or miss tackles. Sorry mate I’m just frustrated with the whole situation!
Ain't his fault!

I get that mate. I’m just concerned some seem to be blaming Schuster for the mistakes made by the other players listed? Not sure what they expect from him after 4 games. He’s at least trying whilst others are not capable! He’s not missing tackles which directly lead to a try. Yes the team as a whole are responsible for the dismal start to this season but to single him out when supposed regular 1st graders are not is a bit rich so yeah I will defend him! I won’t cop him getting bagged when players like Croker, Parker, Gosiewski & a few others can’t hold onto a fvcking ball or miss tackles. Sorry mate I’m just frustrated with the whole situation!

Personally I'm not fully blaming Shoe and I certainly get that he is literally only a rookie and is playing out of his normal position, although back row isn't totally foreign to him. But think about this. There have been tries scored against us when others have missed their defensive assignment ... but in all reality the opposition wouldn't have even had the ball at times without a silly no look pass or tap on that has done nothing but create a turnover. And one or two of those from him have led to opposition tries so yes, he should shoulder blame, at least some of the blame anyway.

If for example Parker drops a ball and the opposition score in the next set ... Parker is usually the one to cop the blame, the whole blame and nothing but the blame. But somer players are getting a bit of a free pass when the same happens.

Right now I would say we don't have a single player in good form. Not DCE, not Foz, not Walks, not Jake, not Marty, not Shuster. We aren't 16th on the ladder right now because only 4 or 5 players are playing badly.

Personally I'm not fully blaming Shoe and I certainly get that he is literally only a rookie and is playing out of his normal position, although back row isn't totally foreign to him. But think about this. There have been tries scored against us when others have missed their defensive assignment ... but in all reality the opposition wouldn't have even had the ball at times without a silly no look pass or tap on that has done nothing but create a turnover. And one or two of those from him have led to opposition tries so yes, he should shoulder blame, at least some of the blame anyway.

Right now I would say we don't have a single player in good form. Not DCE, not Foz, not Walks, not Jake, not Marty, not Shuster. We aren't 16th on the ladder right now because only 4 or 5 players are playing badly.
I’d argue Brad Parker is in form,given he’s playing at the same level he’s played at since his debut

If for example Parker drops a ball and the opposition score in the next set ... Parker is usually the one to cop the blame, the whole blame and nothing but the blame. But somer players are getting a bit of a free pass when the same happens.

As I've already said, if he had some decent talent outside him, they would be ready for his trick plays. FFS, it's not like anyone else in the team is trying something different.
I'm with @madmax on this. Schuster is the last bloke that should be copping any stick.

As I've already said, if he had some decent talent outside him, they would be ready for his trick plays. FFS, it's not like anyone else in the team is trying something different.
I'm with @madmax on this. Schuster is the last bloke that should be copping any stick.

Yeah well if any of those trick plays had actually paid off then maybe I'd give him a free pass. In baseball terms he's batting about zero with those right now. And not all of them are down to not having decent talent outside of him.

On Thursday night there was something that stood out to me. Outside of our own attacking 10, 20 at best, he rarely wanted to know about taking a hit up or running the ball. It was either quickly passed on, batted on without looking or there was a no look pass. Yet when there might have been a try on offer if there was a missed tackle ... he was running hard for and with the ball.

Things like that aren't exactly helping. But hey, keep giving him a free pass because he's apparently the next Immortal.

I hear Tom Wright and Albert Hopoate were going to be Immortals too.....

Sorry, but the way we're playing I'm not giving anyone in this team a free pass. That includes the coaching staff, and the owners.

Yeah well if any of those trick plays had actually paid off then maybe I'd give him a free pass. In baseball terms he's batting about zero with those right now. And not all of them are down to not having decent talent outside of him.
Unbelievable. Blame the 4 gamer 19 year old. I'm not saying he's blameless, but to call him out over the several park footballers in the side is a joke. The good old Aussie tall poppy syndrome firing on all cylinders.

(Time to call it a night I think. I don't think I've ever argued with you before @HoldenV8 . Apologies on the hostility.)

Last edited:
Unbelievable. Blame the 4 gamer 19 year old. I'm not saying he's blameless, but to call him out over the several park footballers in the side is a joke. The good old Aussie tall poppy syndrome firing on all cylinders.

I'm not blaming him. I'm just pointing out that he is as much a part of the problem(s) as anyone in this team right now. If he's got park level footballers outside of him then he shouldn't be trying no look tap-on's or passes to them because they will rarely, if ever, pay off. He's not an idiot, surely he could have figured that out by now and if he hasn't then there has to be someone within the team/staff who can set him straight.

The kid has talent and a lot of it. But you can't be trying trick shots every time when they haven't been paying off. Don't play like he's got Steve Matai and Michael Robertson outside of him with Brett Stewart racing through as well. He's got Brad Parker and Reuben Garrick with a fullback currently who doesn't know the meaning of backing up because...he's not a fullback and simply doesn't know. Learn to walk first, then run.

He has 1/4 of our try assists.

The expectations for Schuster from Manly supporters are way over the top considering his age, and that he is playing out of position. Consider also the fact that other players, inside and outside of him, who should be mentoring him right now, are completely out of form. Back row is clearly not his best position, and the sooner we get him to five-eight the better. The only way this will happen is if DCE, Foran and Cust rotate through nine and seven, at different stages in the game.

Last edited:

If you may recall the same problem existed with Cliffy when he had new people around him. The trick is having a coach who utilises those tricks by ensuring other team members are ready for them. I call it the 'Mark Ella' factor. That's what made the Lyons-Menzies combination so effective and why Burbo followed Schuster so much, and it is what is so obviously missing in the predictable play Manly have been displaying in the past half a decade. Its all about deceptive moves and actions and few players have that skill. Its the types of play that score tries and win games. You need those trick plays to break defensive patterns and make the defence hesitant, uncertain as to what play is on. That's one reason Manly are failing to score tries at present. No clever strategies to open up attacking routes. We desperately need those 'tricky' plays and in my opinion only Schuster in this team has that obvious ability. Fainu showed a little f it as our hooker and that's one reason he was so effective. Cust has a little of it. That's why you need Scuster with ball in hand, not expending his energy tackling, and running with limited space into forward defence in the centre of the ruck area.

Last edited:

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8