The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
That's a fair opinion, but that's all it is.
Let's look at it another way.
Does a young rookie need criticism for trying to be creative, or are his errors "Teachable Moments"?
I believe that young people learn from their mistakes IF they are used as teachable moments and the kids are not criticised into paralysis fearing making a mistake and then don't try to make a play.
Should they be treated differently to an established player ( like Parker - 6th year in NRL 60 games &15 trys)? 100% they should. To say otherwise we'll I'll just never agree with that.
I am happy to accept kids making errors if they show improvement over time (eg. I want Saab given the time to grab or lose his opportunity)...

What i dont accept is established players being outperformed by development players and keeping their spot...

Still a work in progress to say the least and irrespective of his undoubted talents and natural ability , still has to find his way a bit more at a higher and tougher level . Find it hard to suggest where his most suited position may be , better judges then me going around may have a more accurate opinion but obviously has shown that he can be a more then capable 6 and maybe does need that extra bit of room to show his talent and skill level . Has gone O K against a fairly rugged Dragons and Panthers pack in the backrow and more held his own . As a 13 , certainly has some appeal and could be a real top level player there . Just pleased that he is now a fixture in the starting 17 and in Manly colors for some time yet and ideally longer and that he can be totally top shelf real soon

I think he's doing exceptionally well considering he's playing out of position - his defence has been superb - but agree he needs to forget about the fancy stuff for now until he's got the experience to know when it's the right time for it.

He was grubber kick happy in his debut last year which resulted in 1 try & a repeat set (I think?) but quickly became predictable in the 65 minutes he was on the field.

He seems to have removed that from his game for now so hopefully can do the same for his bat-on & no look passes.

There's definitely a time & place for such things but not in a team as far down the well as we are - we need to concentrate on the fundamentals & worry about the fancy stuff once we've achieved team cohesion again.

I think he's doing exceptionally well considering he's playing out of position - his defence has been superb - but agree he needs to forget about the fancy stuff for now until he's got the experience to know when it's the right time for it.

He was grubber kick happy in his debut last year which resulted in 1 try & a repeat set (I think?) but quickly became predictable in the 65 minutes he was on the field.

He seems to have removed that from his game for now so hopefully can do the same for his bat-on & no look passes.

There's definitely a time & place for such things but not in a team as far down the well as we are - we need to concentrate on the fundamentals & worry about the fancy stuff once we've achieved team cohesion again.
A bat on only works if there are exceptionally competent backs outside him. Best to wait until the team is in better form. If he had walker outside him it might work, or turbo.

Signing Foran was as a huge mistake, he has done very little for our begiene attack and hasn’t had the impact some on here hoped. He is a waste of a top 30 position being stupidly selected ahead of Schuster who is our future.

Signing Foran was as a huge mistake, he has done very little for our begiene attack and hasn’t had the impact some on here hoped. He is a waste of a top 30 position being stupidly selected ahead of Schuster who is our future.
Two year deal?

100% agree. Surely that $$ could have gone to signing a quality #9.

Just my opinion on balance DCE Croker,Parker,Suli and Garrick have much more to answer for in terms of errors than Schu and many more years of experience.As someone said He is a Rolls Royce being used as a delivery van .Why he wasnt put into the centers when Jetski came on is a mystery to me .Time has to be up for Croker Parker and Garrick .It was clear when Cust came on we looked more direct and a bit faster.But the guy has to start at 9 not come on as relief for someone when the game is gone and who really isnt up to it under any measure.I just hope that when Tom comes back that Walker is back into the centers instead of Parker ,Suli gets some early ball and if not Suli that Funa or Tupolito gets picked in the back line As the incumbents just arent up to it.
Very frustrating to watch ,surely the coaching staff see the same things as us pie eaters do ? .As I and others have said ,I would much rather watch talented young players drop the ball and make mistakes as they learn to be better than the same talent-less hacks who have had more than enough time to showcase their wares and who time after time over the last what is it 15 games or so have come up very short of the mark. I feel if we pick a few people back in position and bring some youth in we may not win but we will see some green shoots ,rather than a barren landscape and tumble weeds blowing thru the in-goal where we are supposed to score try's.
Go Manly
Nice analogy. Fully agree.

And yet it was in the 5/8 spot in the juniors that he won best player in his entire comp a couple of years in a row. Hard to justify he doesn't have the skills for the role, when he was the best at it in the juniors. He's not getting ball in his hands as often now because he's playing second row, and that's the problem. Its like putting Johns, Jamie Lyon, Cliffy or Fulton in the second row (and I know Cliffy was at lock at times but that was mainly at the end of his career). They also would not impress much in those positions. And we too quickly forget Benji Marshall's comment after Schuster's one and only premiership appearance at five eighth last year. I would think he would know. He's 19 years old. He'll make mistakes. But he needs to play the position to learn

Not completely correct. He actually played both 2nd row and 6 in SG Ball when he was player of the year so not as foreign to him as many are making out.

Again as I mentioned being able to play 5/8 in juniors is a lot different than NRL. He was physically dominant and would often use that size to bust the line, he doesn't have that quickness off the mark that many top halves have. He also doesn't manage the game. He definitely has skill, no question but with his size and skill I believe he could be more suited to 13.

Not completely correct. He actually played both 2nd row and 6 in SG Ball when he was player of the year so not as foreign to him as many are making out.

Again as I mentioned being able to play 5/8 in juniors is a lot different than NRL. He was physically dominant and would often use that size to bust the line, he doesn't have that quickness off the mark that many top halves have. He also doesn't manage the game. He definitely has skill, no question but with his size and skill I believe he could be more suited to 13.
Or a creative 2nd rower like glen Stewart. It took gift a bit of time to mature but he was a big part of our attack for the golden years.

Shuster is young and confident. The problem he has, is he is on the next level up to the Nuffies outside of him. Do you reckon a Papanhazun/Mitchell/Fox/Johnstone/ Tedesco would be dropping Shusters tip-ons, no look passes. They’d know they’re coming and eat them up. Why should the kid have to dumb down his own game, because he’s got park footballers on his outside. The on-is should be on the coaching staff to drag the dead weight up to a level that can take advantage of Shoes talent.

So then Jake to prop ? with Paseka , Keppie and Alioia . Really have to try and hang onto Saddler as well , Maybe he could play in the back row with Olokoa - atu but then Des looks like he is chasing another a high profile back rower . Still need 2 or 3 forwards on the bench so could still accommodate all of these others mentioned here

Again, my problem isn't so much with Schuster.. altho my issues with his show pony act are well noted by now... My problem is people on here go out of their way to get these guys in before they are ready..
Parker was spruiked on here as the world beater centre we need to replace Matai.. fast forward 3 years the same ppl want his head .
Ppl last year wanted des fired for not bringing in hoppa... Same ppl are happy hoppa is gone..
Tafua has to go because Saab is coming.. Saab is the answer to our wing problem.... 4 rounds later .. Saab needs to go, never had it, isn't any good says the same mob..
Ppl here want Schuster to take dces spot.. in a year and a half when manly are still struggling the same blokes will want him sacked for the next Jonny come lately they hitch their wagons too ..

Schuster is ready for NRL... Shuster IS NOT THE ANSWER to the current situation, nor is he going to take dces spot like so many here seem to think he should

I've always thought Parker was not suited to centre (look back to my comments). Taufua was good in his younger years but has struggled in recent year and most on this site have agreed. Saab has just started in Manly's fist and he is at the end of a backline that is ineffective. I think the majority of supporters agreed

I dont back many players coming through. A few fail but most go on to better things...away from Manly...and that's what frustrates me. I strongly opposed Gutherson being let go. I opposed Hastings being sent to the wilderness. I opposed Tom Wright being shown the door. I thought letting AFB go was a mistake. I was against Albert Hopoate being let go. The first four went on to much bigger things, the fifth is yet to shine. There are others. Manly's selection policy at the junior level has been excellent. At the first grade level, atrocious.. I dont have to justify this. Just look at the results over recent years.

I think I can pick a star on the rise and Schuster is definitely one of them. In any other club barring perhaps Melbourne and Sydney City, he would be now their five eighth, and in those other sides probably half or lock. Manly's selection policy in the past five years has been dumb...and that's being kindly. Have a look at the two bottom teams oi the comp. The Sea Eagles and Dogs. No surprise they are coached by two of the most conservative and uninnovative coaches in the camp and both coached the Sea Eagles

Again, my problem isn't so much with Schuster.. altho my issues with his show pony act are well noted by now... My problem is people on here go out of their way to get these guys in before they are ready..
Parker was spruiked on here as the world beater centre we need to replace Matai.. fast forward 3 years the same ppl want his head .
Ppl last year wanted des fired for not bringing in hoppa... Same ppl are happy hoppa is gone..
Tafua has to go because Saab is coming.. Saab is the answer to our wing problem.... 4 rounds later .. Saab needs to go, never had it, isn't any good says the same mob..
Ppl here want Schuster to take dces spot.. in a year and a half when manly are still struggling the same blokes will want him sacked for the next Jonny come lately they hitch their wagons too ..

Schuster is ready for NRL... Shuster IS NOT THE ANSWER to the current situation, nor is he going to take dces spot like so many here seem to think he should
Well said mate, spot on

Well said mate, spot on
Check my comment mate. Champions are not born in an instant. They develop, but they MUST be given opportunity, not just dismissed because they haven't reached your immediate expectations before they have completed their apprenticeship. That's why we lost Gutherson and Tom Wright to name just two. Annoys me greatly that some seem to expect the impossible, before they've even started to fit in to the game. Patience and opportunity are the essentials in any player developing, not criticising before they've even played more than half a dozen games. This is a damn hard game, far harder than in years past. It takes a damn good player to make it, and I think Schuster is one of them. I'll remind you of that in a year or two.

One question, not necessarily just about Schuster.....

How is it that some players, and Shoe is one, are being praised for their good defense, when we are giving up around 40 points per game.

Its not just Parker or Garrick or Saab or Croker or Gosiewski who are the ones causing that you know.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6