The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

Been a disappointment in areas of his game. I know he is young and playing out of position but he has played backrower before. He has been responsible for at least 5 or 6 mistakes in the past 2 games trying his no look passes and tap ons. After seeing him carve up in the trial I have really high hopes for him. Unfortunately he is probably stuck in the backrow for a while now. Needs to learn to just keep it simple cos the mistakes are killing us. I know he is not the only one but he is certainly a contributor. If you just watched the last nights game and didn't know who he was you'd be saying he needs to pull his head in. Everyone is calling for Parker, Garrick etc to be dropped but others are getting a free ride!

Last edited:
Schuster is getting a free ride and deservedly so because he’s young and has actually shown glimpses of talent, unlike the blokes you mentioned at the end who have proven time and time again how garbage they are. For a 19 year old playing out of position with 4 first grade games to his name I reckon he’s doing pretty well, if people start turning on him then we’re well and truly ****ed (we already are)

I think we were all frustrated with the mistakes Robbo, but can’t be hard in this guy. Young, out of position (and playing some second row, is nothing in lower grades compared to NRL). He’ll get his shot at 6 soon enough. Plus we have no other options for the back row.

Massive disappointment is a bit harsh. He's been put into backrow because of injury crisis in that position. I'd say it's not the best role for him to showcase his talents. It's pretty clear he has some good skills, but i agree that he has to learn that in the NRL it's about making good decisions about when to use those skills. You still have to do the basics well and "earn the right" as they say. I wouldn't be unhappy if he did look before he passed once or twice a game

He's on a learning curve and that's an investment in the team's future. If we are going to get pumped every week then I'd rather we are blooding young guys like him. Getting NRL miles under their belt and having them learn, better than picking journeymen plodders who aren't going to offer anything for the future. The big worry is who is showing the leadership in this team and teaching these young guys ?? We are a rabble on the field and he is probably not getting any good advice

Anyway hopefully Guaca back soon and he should take one of those edge roles, maybe pushing Shoe back to the bench which might suit him better. Guaca is another that we need to get some decent game time and invest in his development

Suli goes off last night. Des moves Jekski to centre.

Why? Surely Schuster would have been the obvious choice with his silky hands.

It seems nothing is obvious to Des.

Instead we have this rolls royce making 39 tackles!! The most out of any Manly player.

The sooner he plays 5/8th rhe better, otherwise Des may kill all the skills he has.

Considering the player he is and the team he is in currently, he is going ok. Bit rough to blame a naturally attacking and gifted rookie for not pulling his head in, when he is in a team that hasnt respected the ball, field position or an understanding of the game for 12 months

He needs to, in time temper his instincts somewhat but im happy for him to learn some mistakes in the cesspool.

Once some leaders start getting it right we might get some trickle down effect and then i might start getting a bit judgey on our bit player rookies playing out of position

Suli goes off last night. Des moves Jekski to centre.

Why? Surely Schuster would have been the obvious choice with his silky hands.

It seems nothing is obvious to Des.

Instead we have this rolls royce making 39 tackles!! The most out of any Manly player.

The sooner he plays 5/8th rhe better, otherwise Des may kill all the skills he has.
Said that last night in my post.

Better Robbo, I’m not sure what this post achieves. A free ride? Why do people think young guys will come in and be superstars straight off the bat? It very rarely happens. He has shown a lot more than most, has topped or come close to topping the tackle count each game and rarely misses a tackle in a position he wasn’t preparing to play in - regardless of the fact he has played there a number of years ago.

He does get tip-on happy, I agree with you, but do you think he would do that under Bellamy or Robinson, or even Bennett - I bet he wouldn’t. So why under Des? There appears to be a major disconnect with Des and the players in terms of communication, instruction and buy-in. I’d suggest the reason players that most on here are calling for to be dropped (myself included) are players that Des feels respond to him better in training and so he sticks with them regardless of on field performances. We will go nowhere like this.

Our problems are multi-faceted, but one thing is for sure, if we stick with reserve-grade quality players, blame kids with under 10 games to their name and stick with a coach who is clearly no longer in step with the game - this pain will last for years to come.

I’m still not convinced he’ll be the next Immortal,unlike some on here,but it’s not based on his current situation.Bit unfair to judge him playing out of position in a team that is going so badly,but he does have a few traits that he can get away with in the lower grades,but not in first grade.Time is on his side and hopefully he is given good direction within the club.Unfortunately theres not a Ben Kennedy type player in the squad to guide him.What may help him is TomT’s return(like everything else,apparently.)Look at the impact Tom had on the likes of Walker early last season.Walker was in great form playing centre early rounds before both got injured.I suspect Tom could have the same impact on Schuster

Personally reckon the best thing for Schuster to do for a while is simply tuck the ball under his wing and go forward leaving his bag of tricks on the sideline
They are always welcome, but it's not against kids now and they don't work every play....when he did decide to simply power forward, took some stopping and created momentum.
Also I think he has been excellent snd too many ppl are unrealistic expecting a kid in his 4th game should lead a team in horrific form and zero energy out of the doldrums....trust me when I say - these big losses would be worse without him

Playing against one of the best and well drilled packs in the comp and with a very capable player like Liam Martin on the bench . Tough gig for any young but very talented up and comer , did not do too bad against the Dragons , tough opposition again last night , undeniable high quality skill and ability level , He 'll be fine and can only get better with experience at back row or 6 and once his side can regularly get on the front foot and some better atacking opportunities . Didn 't lack any defensive resolve last night also

he’s defending really well and hopefully learning a lot from being out there. Would like to see him learn to run a better line and time it right but that’s always going to be hard for a first year second rower, yet alone one that has come through the juniors in other positions.

It's a learning curve. He has been our best tackler. Last week no missed tackles. This week missed 4. He's out of position and he will learn very quickly to simplify his game in this position. I'm actually excited about his development. Would love to see him play in the halves. He would kill it. We need his enthusiasm and spark. Not like we are getting beat by a small margin and his errors / no look passes are costing us. We are a sh't side filled with a lot of sh't players. It's time we give our youth a go to salvage something of our season and buuld for next year.

This boy has it all, to be say he is a massive disappointment really is unfair.

This kid is filling in the back row cause we have no other options right now!!

This guy should be at lock or five eighth as he is a creator and when he has first receiver role he knows when to run, when to pass when to kick.

He is finally getting his chance and I hope that our coach finally understands what his true positions are!

Better Robbo, I’m not sure what this post achieves. A free ride? Why do people think young guys will come in and be superstars straight off the bat? It very rarely happens. He has shown a lot more than most, has topped or come close to topping the tackle count each game and rarely misses a tackle in a position he wasn’t preparing to play in - regardless of the fact he has played there a number of years ago.

He does get tip-on happy, I agree with you, but do you think he would do that under Bellamy or Robinson, or even Bennett - I bet he wouldn’t. So why under Des? There appears to be a major disconnect with Des and the players in terms of communication, instruction and buy-in. I’d suggest the reason players that most on here are calling for to be dropped (myself included) are players that Des feels respond to him better in training and so he sticks with them regardless of on field performances. We will go nowhere like this.

Our problems are multi-faceted, but one thing is for sure, if we stick with reserve-grade quality players, blame kids with under 10 games to their name and stick with a coach who is clearly no longer in step with the game - this pain will last for years to come.
Not expecting a super star but I expect him to listen to the coach and control the ball. This is the reason Des won't put him to 5/8. Its not harsh, he has been good defensively but has had way too many mistakes!!! I'm excited about his development and glad he is getting game time but if he wants to claim the 5/8 jersey then he needs to pull his head in and stop throwing the ball away uts that simple!

Been a massive disappointment. I know he is young and playing out of position but he has played backrower before. He has been responsible for at least 5 or 6 mistakes in the past 2 games trying his no look passes and tap ons. Doesn't really get in and do the tough runs either. After seeing him carve up in the trial I had high hopes for him. Unfortunately he is probably stuck in the backrow for a while now. Needs to learn to just keep it simple cos the mistakes are killing us. I know he is not the only one but he is certainly a contributor. If you just watched the last nights game and didn't know who he was you'd be saying he is pooh! Everyone is calling for Parker, Garrick etc to be dropped buy guys like Schuster are getting a free ride!
You’re kidding right? Schuster is the reason we’re losing every week . Now I’ve heard it all! He’s made a few errors but to say he’s getting a free ride WOW. At least he’s trying something unlike the rest of the deadwood. Playing out of position, as is Walker, having to take the ball up & tackle instead of playing his natural game & he’s getting a free ride whilst the likes of Croker, DCE, Foran, Gosiewski, Parker, Suli, Garrick, Saab etc are playing like $hit & making many more errors than Schuster yet you’ve singled him out? FMD I feel sorry for any youngster that makes his debut with this club coz they’ll get nothing but bagging! If I was one of them
I’d dread coming into 1st grade. Out of last nights game the only ones deserved of any merit are Aloiai, Keppie, Cust, with Walker, Schuster to a lesser extent, but at least they tried. Those 5 are the only ones who looked despondent after the game.
Hasler the super coach drops one of our better meter eaters in Sipley for plodder Boyle? Master stroke! Persists with Parker? Another master stroke? Persists with Saab? Again master stroke. Persists with his love child Croker.....genius! Give me a team full of the 5 players I mentioned & I’d be happy.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2