The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
All Josh needs is a good woman to straighten him out

1660002902199.png

Josh really has not been able to get going this season. Didn 't he miss the first 8 games or so , can recall him making his return one Friday night against the Eels i st clash , that could have been even more then 8 games from season start . Looked overweight then and really has not played much footy at all or been on the park since then for a range of reasons . On the positive side, think that things can turn around for him for the best and Manly , Might even be able to get back to some reasonable form in the next four weeks or by some minor miracle , in a Manly 2022 final 's appearance .

The boy needs a full offseason of training to get some fitness.

He is clearly underdone and has not improved if anything gone backwards this season.

If often happens, 2nd season for younger players is not always great.

He is fortunate that the raw talent he has can flourish once his gets his body in shape and his mind is clear. Huge opportunity for him with 5/8 position up for grabs!

He's not fat nor is he lazy. He is just not at the peak of conditioning required at this time to perform at the level he has shown he can be. Why this is so we dont really know. Lots of conjecture here, including from me, but in reality all we know is that his conditioning does not seem up to a level he requires and the reasons may be multiple. Hopefully by the end of this season and into '23 this is resolved. He has the skills to be a superstar. What ever is holding him back, and we dont know what that is, needs to be addressed.

Q: The Schuster question..
A: Low carb diet?

Tricky issue that one HK. Certainly carbs contribute to weight increase, and while not talking about Schuster because I have no idea of his body chemistry, I know for myself that metabolism issues are more important aa well as understanding them.

I'm a big bloke as are members of our family. I find I can put weight on very easily and I'm told its because my metabolism uses energy more efficiently and therefore what some people eat and remain stable, I will add weight . Sort of like the difference between a 4, 6 and 8 cylinder car. I can sit having coffee, flat white no sugar with mates who have several sugars and cake and remain thin. If I did it I would add Kilos. My sister is big and her husband is like a rake, yet they eat the same foods. Not sure if that can explain Schuster. He may just like pizza and pie. But we all have different metabolisms and I hate my mates who eat cake in front of me and smile suggesting I should suck it up.

Tricky issue that one HK. Certainly carbs contribute to weight increase, and while not talking about Schuster because I have no idea of his body chemistry, I know for myself that metabolism issues are more important aa well as understanding them.

I'm a big bloke as are members of our family. I find I can put weight on very easily and I'm told its because my metabolism uses energy more efficiently and therefore what some people eat and remain stable, I will add weight . Sort of like the difference between a 4, 6 and 8 cylinder car. I can sit having coffee, flat white no sugar with mates who have several sugars and cake and remain thin. If I did it I would add Kilos. My sister is big and her husband is like a rake, yet they eat the same foods. Not sure if that can explain Schuster. He may just like pizza and pie. But we all have different metabolisms and I hate my mates who eat cake in front of me and smile suggesting I should suck it up.
Yeah, absolutely, Bear, and that doesn't even touch on the emotional issues tied up with eating. I think we all accept there are differences in metabolism for everyone. Schu may well be susceptible to holding onto weight. Nevertheless, all the more reason to be considering a low carb diet like paleo or keto for example, to keep that under control. I've seen many "big" people suddenly shed their excess on such diets, and for those who are able to make it a lifestyle change, maintain the new body type comfortably. I've also seen some bounce back to their "big" selves as they are unable or unwilling to make it a lifestyle change (for various different reasons).

Yeah, absolutely, Bear, and that doesn't even touch on the emotional issues tied up with eating. I think we all accept there are differences in metabolism for everyone. Schu may well be susceptible to holding onto weight. Nevertheless, all the more reason to be considering a low carb diet like paleo or keto for example, to keep that under control. I've seen many "big" people suddenly shed their excess on such diets, and for those who are able to make it a lifestyle change, maintain the new body type comfortably. I've also seen some bounce back to their "big" selves as they are unable or unwilling to make it a lifestyle change (for various different reasons).

Certainly some foods, not necessarily carbs, can be a factor in weight gain. I know myself I have to eat like a rabbit to lose weight. I was trim when I was younger but I was playing weekly tennis, squash, jogging 5 kms nightly and playing Union in the winter. At 71 that's not feasible though I do gym work 3 days weekly and walk a lot. Tried all sorts of processes, dietitians etc. Even use Optifast quite frequently. Also fast once a week. That's just to maintain what I've got. Little wonder I'm known as the Bear, partly because I'm 6'3" but also a big body build.

Certainly some foods, not necessarily carbs, can be a factor in weight gain. I know myself I have to eat like a rabbit to lose weight. I was trim when I was younger but I was playing weekly tennis, squash, jogging 5 kms nightly and playing Union in the winter. At 71 that's not feasible though I do gym work 3 days weekly and walk a lot. Tried all sorts of processes, dietitians etc. Even use Optifast quite frequently. Also fast once a week. That's just to maintain what I've got. Little wonder I'm known as the Bear, partly because I'm 6'3" but also a big body build.
Awesome Bear. At 71 and still doing your gym and walking is brilliant. Kudos to you. At 52, that's pretty much my regular physical routines, with some bike riding thrown in more sporadically.

Embrace the bear 🐻:clap:

Don't need to know him only need eyes he is fat and as a footballer is lazy. Strange world 2022 can't call an "athlete" who earns big dollars fat when they are fat.

If you can't show up fit as an athlete than give it away .Tookey was fat Taylor was fat Rose was fat and this guy is fat.

He may be the nicest guy in the world but it doesn't change the fact he is to fat I'm glad former players who know what it takes are calling him out.
Hey. Now Gorgeous George WAS just big boned. But Yeah all the others were fat. ;-)

Awesome Bear. At 71 and still doing your gym and walking is brilliant. Kudos to you. At 52, that's pretty much my regular physical routines, with some bike riding thrown in more sporadically.

Embrace the bear 🐻:clap:

Not so awesome I'm afraid. Blood pressure and sugar issues. I love growing old. But you want resilience, there's a lovely lass there and great friend who is a regular on the weights and rowing machine who leaves me for dead. She's just turning 91 this year.

Not so awesome I'm afraid. Blood pressure and sugar issues. I love growing old. But you want resilience, there's a lovely lass there and great friend who is a regular on the weights and rowing machine who leaves me for dead. She's just turning 91 this year.
You are very humble and ever so Awesome and Resilient in your own right feathered friend @Bearfax

You are in your 70s with your own health conditions but that has not stopped your drive to stay alive and revitalize your self !!!

Well done and Congratulations for being an Inspirational Sea eagle amongst us

We can all excel at any age and Break free from Mediocrity just like our feathered friend Bearfax

I encourage all feathered friends to read this Inspirational story and get inspired and spread your eagle wings and fly above the restrictions that are holding you back from being greater than you are

Pumping iron, breaking records, into his 90s.
By MARTHA ROSS | Bay Area News Group

Competing in the American Athletic Union’s North American powerlifting championships in Las Vegas in July, Gilmour has his eye on another record.

At 92, he has a full head of white hair and a powerfully built chest. The former Marine raises the barbell off its rack, brings it down to just above his chest then presses it back up, his arms shaking only slightly with the effort.

The great-grandfather has just pressed 209 pounds, an American and world record in the 90- to 94-year-old Lifetime Masters category.

Since 2001, the Morgan Hill man has set more than a dozen world and U.S. records for his lifts. It’s a feat that Gilmour hopes inspires other older men and women to lift weights to stay in shape and even to compete.

“I like the idea of getting some of these older people lifting,” he says. “It shows them that you can do these things, and have fun competing. You don’t have to set a record every time. You just have to get in and do it.”

What may be most remarkable about Gilmour is that there is a 40-year gap in his fitness history. Before he started lifting weights again at age 62, he last devoted time to regular exercise in March 1946, when he ended his career in the Marines.

However, up until that time, he had been pretty active playing soccer in his native Scotland as a young boy. After his family came to the United States in 1930, and eventually settled in Southern California, Gilmour attended Hollywood High. At 5-foot-4, he wasn’t big enough to play football so he went out for track; a teammate was future Academy Award-winner Jason Robards.

While in the Marines, he was stationed at different bases around the United States. A late growth spurt put him at 5-foot-9 by his late teens and allowed him to play football for a Marine team with top college players from around the country. Hitting the weight room was part of his regimen.

“I realized lifting weights made me a more efficient Marine,” he says. “It also made me a faster and stronger player in football.”

But after the war, he settled into the routine of work and raising three kids, first in Van Nuys, then in Carpinteria, near Santa Barbara. Like most other American adults in the 1950s and ’60s, fitness wasn’t a part of his daily routine. He figured he got enough exercise at work.

An electronics engineer, he walked the length of a factory, and up and down stairs all the time.

“I wasn’t really that involved in exercise,” he says. “I didn’t have the time and felt like I was in good health and pretty strong.”
In his early 60s, he realized he wasn’t as fit as he thought.

“My legs were still good, and I was in good health. I had stamina, but I lost strength. I wanted to maintain strength,” he says.

Gilmour found himself back in the gym, lifting weights. This time, he got hooked, but he didn’t take his regimen to another level until a decade later when someone saw him working out and was impressed that someone of his age could lift so much.

“You look pretty strong,” the man said to him. “Have you thought of competing?”

In 2001, at age 79, Gilmour competed in his first powerlifting competition for the Amateur Athletic Union, the sports organization that once helped prepare athletes for the Olympics.

“I decided to try it and see how it works, and lo and behold, I set a record,” he says.

Specifically, Gilmour lifted 236.9 pounds, an American and world record for the 75-79 age division.
He set more records in 2002 and 2007. His regular training, which also gives him a cardiovascular boost, helped him recover from a minor heart attack at age 85.

He took time off when Dorothy, his wife of 67 years, was in declining health. After she died in 2012, Gilmour moved to Morgan Hill to be closer to his daughter and her children. He joined a gym to start preparing for competition.

These days, he gets into the gym two times a week, lifting up to 24,000 pounds total each time through sets of various lifts that don’t just work his chest but also his shoulders, arms, back and legs.

He’s not sure when his next competition will be.

“It will depend on how much, or if, I can improve on my latest records,” he says. “I may have to wait until I am 95 so I can compete in the 95-99 age group.

“I will if I can.”

See the source image

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10