The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
One person's opinion is just opinion whilst another's opinion(without true facts) is fact.
Ok,got it ....
It is all opinion and anyone saying that their opinion is fact because they can see it( it's the vibe) is pulling the pud.

It's not about choosing "good choir boys" necessarily. It's about choosing players who are going to put the team first and be disciplined in the things the team determines are priorities.
Ok,so character is selective depending on your opinion.
Got it.
Bringing the club and game into disrepute sounds like a serious character flaw.....
Does not sound like putting the club first in their actions.

Ok,so character is selective depending on your opinion.
Got it.
Bringing the club and game into disrepute sounds like a serious character flaw.....
Sorry, I think we are probably at difference over the understanding of what we each meant/understood by my use of the word "character". My bad, I didn't spell it out clearly in my original post. "Does player A have the specific character traits we are looking for that will work best in our system".

Sorry, I think we are probably at difference over the understanding of what we each meant/understood by my use of the word "character". My bad, I didn't spell it out clearly in my original post. "Does player A have the specific character traits we are looking for that will work best in our system".
The assumptions are back....
You know for a fact we don't have something similar in place?
He came to the club as a 14 year old and had no serious flaws as such,his uncle said he needed to concentrate on his fitness and he did,he was lean and trim before as a junior but not training right over the past 12 months(I won't go into why because I don't want to be making excuses for anyone).
Reasons,excuses depends on opinion I guess.

The assumptions are back....
You know for a fact we don't have something similar in place?
He came to the club as a 14 year old and had no serious flaws as such,his uncle said he needed to concentrate on his fitness and he did,he was lean and trim before as a junior but not training right over the past 12 months(I won't go into why because I don't want to be making excuses for anyone).
Reasons,excuses depends on opinion I guess.
I don't know, Joe. I'm on a forum sharing opinions based on what I see and read. We may well have something similar in place, though I'd suggest on results it aint working very well (compared to the success Melbourne have enjoyed over prolonged periods of time).

You are equating work rate with the obvious things, often those things that are typically measured (stats for minutes played, tackles made, tries, etc etc)... This is the stuff that people see and is often just what's happening at the immediate point of conflict. What is more telling is the things that the average punter does not look for. Watch where he is when chasing kicks. Watch his urgency to get back into the defensive line after a tackle is made. Watch how far he moves up in the defensive line when the ball is sent the opposite direction. Watch his urgency to get back onside after a kick by the opposition. Watch his body language when the chips are down. These are just some of the things that go into making a complete player and make a team. I suggest Schu could be doing much better in these areas, and I'm not even touching on what he does off the field.

I did and last year he chased many kicks and followed up Turbo with quite a deal of pace often and more so than many other players. What you also probably missed was that as well as all those tackles he was making he was often outside Foran in attack taking passes from him leading to space given for Turbo's attacks, or did you miss those moments. All a question of what one sets out to see. Easy to overlook a players efforts if you have your eyes on others you favour.

At the risk of sounding too philosophical, professional sportsman tend to perform best when they’re given the freedom to play their natural game. Having said that, I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to compare Schuster (heads up, run and engage the line, one hand carries and no look passes) to Foran (courage, composure, high work rate and does the 1%’s). They’re two very different types of players and about all they have in common is their desire to play in the #6 for Manly.
As much as I’ve enjoyed watching Foran play for us over the years, it’s almost time to bid him farewell and look to the future. That’s Schuster and I believe he’s got the potential to completely change the way we’ve traditionally played. It’s a good thing as we really need something to change.
Hopefully DCE can take a back seat, and get Tom more early ball. We also get Fainu back plus more out of Olakau’atu and you never know!

My main concern is Daly and Schu together....not a lot of structured game management there. We looked better with Foz and Schu together. But then neither jats Daly's kicking game.

This kid will be good. Consistency is the key. We saw last season what he can do, admittedly while wearing the number 12, but the talent was there.

I respect him for missing the world cup and focusing on next season, hopefully it pays dividends.
+ 1 on what @JBW says. That is what worries me too for next year - well OK one of the things. God knows we fret often enough about game management and looking unstructured or outright panicky, I just don't see a Daly and Schu combo fixing that. The issue will basically be a Des key result measurement, let's hope he and the coaching staff are all over it.

Let's leave 2022 behind and blame Schuster for been overweight as the reason we got _ _ _ _ ed .
Bring on 2023 with a fit Schuster calling the shots and then we start this thread again .Maaaaaaanly .

We need Ricky to come and tell Chubbs the truth
It seems a few other NRL experts are happy to let him know the same truths.

It will be interesting to see if he shapes up for next season. We all hope he does, as it would appear we don't really have a viable fallback option.....

"Josh Schuster was a popular candidate by many to make the leap into NRL superstardom in 2022 - but the Manly young gun has failed to kick on after a breakout 2021 season.

After playing one game in 2020, Schuster was a key cog in the Manly machine on their run to a preliminary final last season, with plenty of highlight reel plays along the way.

The 20-year-old was one of seven players who missed last week's game due to an objection to wearing the Pride jersey, but while others have returned to the fold, Schuster was only named 18th man by Des Hasler for Friday night's must-win clash against Parramatta.

Attitude and application have been Schuster's enemy in 2022, with Andrew Johns putting it bluntly.

"He's not fit - he's too big," Johns said on Wide World of Sports' Freddy and the Eighth.

"I think if you sat down Josh, he'd admit he's too big. He came back from the off-season, by all accounts, put a lot of kilos on."

Johns has been a huge fan of Schuster in the past, going as far as to name him an 18th man in a hypothetical Origin side last year.

But this isn't the first time in 2022 that the Newcastle legend has spoken about Schuster's fitness, expressing similar concerns back in May.

NSW coach Brad Fittler was equally perplexed as to the back rower's conditioning.

"Getting fit's the easy part," added Fittler.

"Especially now - you're at training six hours a day."

Schuster had been touted as the successor to Kieran Foran in the No.6 jersey at Brookvale, with the veteran heading to the Gold Coast next year.

"Being a pro doesn't mean being a pro at training - it's living it," Johns said.

"What you eat, what you don't eat, what you drink, what you don't drink - getting your sleep, getting your life in order. Treating your body well, treating your injuries."

It seems a few other NRL experts are happy to let him know the same truths.

It will be interesting to see if he shapes up for next season. We all hope he does, as it would appear we don't really have a viable fallback option.....

"Josh Schuster was a popular candidate by many to make the leap into NRL superstardom in 2022 - but the Manly young gun has failed to kick on after a breakout 2021 season.

After playing one game in 2020, Schuster was a key cog in the Manly machine on their run to a preliminary final last season, with plenty of highlight reel plays along the way.

The 20-year-old was one of seven players who missed last week's game due to an objection to wearing the Pride jersey, but while others have returned to the fold, Schuster was only named 18th man by Des Hasler for Friday night's must-win clash against Parramatta.

Attitude and application have been Schuster's enemy in 2022, with Andrew Johns putting it bluntly.

"He's not fit - he's too big," Johns said on Wide World of Sports' Freddy and the Eighth.

"I think if you sat down Josh, he'd admit he's too big. He came back from the off-season, by all accounts, put a lot of kilos on."

Johns has been a huge fan of Schuster in the past, going as far as to name him an 18th man in a hypothetical Origin side last year.

But this isn't the first time in 2022 that the Newcastle legend has spoken about Schuster's fitness, expressing similar concerns back in May.

NSW coach Brad Fittler was equally perplexed as to the back rower's conditioning.

"Getting fit's the easy part," added Fittler.

"Especially now - you're at training six hours a day."

Schuster had been touted as the successor to Kieran Foran in the No.6 jersey at Brookvale, with the veteran heading to the Gold Coast next year.

"Being a pro doesn't mean being a pro at training - it's living it," Johns said.

"What you eat, what you don't eat, what you drink, what you don't drink - getting your sleep, getting your life in order. Treating your body well, treating your injuries."

Yes that’s pretty blunt you have to say , but possibly on the money !!

Not the end of the World for young Josh, but if he wants to be the star he is destined to be, he has to have a good look at himself and get his act together, or go and do something else. I think the kid could be anything. I have a feeling he's really going through a crisis self doubt period and Des needs to get him back on track. Huge loss if we lose him or he is lost to the game.

He needs to be put on a strict diet and training regime and told if he doesn't follow through with it then no 1st grade.

Someone here recently reminded us that young Josh may still be affected by the death of his best mate at training. Yes it was a while ago now but could easily have played havoc with his motivation, for example.

He's had a poor year but it wouldn't shock me to see him dominate after a strong off season. He just needs to get fit enough to pose a genuine running threat with his size and strength.

Wow. First he is too fat and lazy and now he is silly doing time trials to dispel all of the talk of his lack of fitness. It seems it doesn't matter what he does he will be subject of criticism by some on here. Very sad indeed. Our squad is not solid and a group photo of some smiling faces on the club site doesn't convince me otherwise. I sense there is trouble ahead and Penn and Mestrov needs to get a handle on it real soon.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8