The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I’ve seen enough footy to know what consistently wins big games…players like Schuster help you win scoring shootouts against the Tigers and Bulldogs. Players like Foran help you win close finals.

LOLOLOL What a load of BS. We haven't beaten a top 4 side in the two years Foran has been back.

He has done nothing and won nothing since he was with Manly the first time and fuked off.

Yes maybe you have seen more then bob Fulton aswell since he was the one who wanted to bring josh over. Only time will tell all I'm saying is give him the same opportunity foran has had and he will take us further then 9th place...

Yes ... but the late great Bobby Fulton didn't see him play first grade ... or watch him this year ..

Whatever the reason .. mental, physical or a combination of both his performances don't rate, and are well below what was anticipated, or what can be accepted in !st grade ... so we either ignore it, and say he is a superstar, or we try to understand and fix it ...

From my personal point of view ... (no look passes aside) ... I don't like his lack of energy and low work rate ... waiting for the big play and highlight reel moment may score tries, win the occasional game and impress ... but for mine not all the world's talent will replace hard work and effort for 80 mins ...

Yes ... but the late great Bobby Fulton didn't see him play first grade ... or watch him this year ..

Whatever the reason .. mental, physical or a combination of both his performances don't rate, and are well below what was anticipated, or what can be accepted in !st grade ... so we either ignore it, and say he is a superstar, or we try to understand and fix it ...

From my personal point of view ... (no look passes aside) ... I don't like his lack of energy and low work rate ... waiting for the big play and highlight reel moment may score tries, win the occasional game and impress ... but for mine not all the world's talent will replace hard work and effort for 80 mins ...

Well I won't be judging him off anything he has done at second row. Some people tend to forget that's not even his position. Should have put foran into second row and see how he would have went or any other half for that matter. You know what would have happen? Injuries and a lack of energy from trying to do things he can't in a position he doesn't play.

Well I won't be judging him off anything he has done at second row. Some people tend to forget that's not even his position. Should have put foran into second row and see how he would have went or any other half for that matter. You know what would have happen? Injuries and a lack of energy from trying to do things he can't in a position he doesn't play.

Foran was too chicken schiit to play hooker. He would have been good there and added value for Manly imo.

But Foz has always had Foz first and Manly motherless last.

I’ve seen enough footy to know what consistently wins big games…players like Schuster help you win scoring shootouts against the Tigers and Bulldogs. Players like Foran help you win close finals.
Must of missed the game when the shoe destroyed the eels playing 5/8. Big difference to what happen when foran played them...

Energy and work rate have nothing to do with position ... they are personal traits and attitude ...

If you did put Foran in the 2nd row ... I'd bet London to a Parra beanie that he would play himself to a stand still having a dig.

Last edited:
Foran was too chicken schiit to play hooker. He would have been good there and added value for Manly imo.

But Foz has always had Foz first and Manly motherless last.

Must be wonderful to have a mind completely untroubled by rational thought ... everything is so simple ...

I agree with @Woodsie on this. It appears to me that Schu lacks energy and work rate, and that is glaringly obvious when you compare him to Foz. Woodsie also mentioned a key component in another thread, which overlaps with these two qualities, and that's 1%ers. This to me sums up Schu currently.

Schu has flash and potential brilliance, but hasn't learned the importance and value of focusing on the 1%ers. It's what a champion does when not doing the flashy obvious stuff. It's how a player positions himself when the play is unfolding elsewhere, willingness to get up in the defensive line even when the play heads to the opposite side, the urgency shown to get to a position to compete even when it seems futile, how a player approaches his rehab when off injured, dedication to diet and training (mental, emotional and physical)... all of those small things that get done in the background without notice that require hard work, desire and steel mental attitude.

Schu hasn't shown this yet and he probably didn't have this taught or modelled for him growing up... unfortunately, it was probably only the flashy stuff that drew praise and positive reinforcement. However, that's OK as it is something that can be learned. I hope those nurturing and coaching Schu are working on this and helping him understand its importance to fulfilling his potential.

Last edited:
My main concern is Daly and Schu together....not a lot of structured game management there. We looked better with Foz and Schu together. But then neither jats Daly's kicking game.

This kid will be good. Consistency is the key. We saw last season what he can do, admittedly while wearing the number 12, but the talent was there.

I respect him for missing the world cup and focusing on next season, hopefully it pays dividends.

Hang on there Woodsie. No question Schuster has been off the boil this year for possibly multiple reasons. But lack of energy and low work rate? Really? He averaged 27-28 tackles a game last year, was responsible for a large number of our attacking raids and played as forward 80 minutes every game he played, but one or two when he had a chance in the backs. Only Jake and Croker of the forwards compared with the time on the field each game. No doubt Foran was excellent for us but as far as work rate in 2021, Schuster was vastly greater. Credit where credit is deserved. Sure this year he has been disappointing, seemingly unfit, hit by a prolonged injury, though we dont know the full story there. But as far as energy and work rate, I would say only the two I mentioned would have exceeded his efforts in '21. Not bad for a player trained for the backs and expected to play second row. Lets see how he performs when he's fit and settled. There are obviously problems behind the scenes, and fitness issues this year. But lets not judge him purely on the 2022 season, which has hardly seen several our Manly's players upping the tempo. Far easier to have energy when you play in the backs than in the forwards when you also have to do all the grunt work. Oranges and apples guys

Hang on there Woodsie. No question Schuster has been off the boil this year for possibly multiple reasons. But lack of energy and low work rate? Really? He averaged 27-28 tackles a game last year, was responsible for a large number of our attacking raids and played as forward 80 minutes every game he played, but one or two when he had a chance in the backs. Only Jake and Croker of the forwards compared with the time on the field each game. No doubt Foran was excellent for us but as far as work rate in 2021, Schuster was vastly greater. Credit where credit is deserved. Sure this year he has been disappointing, seemingly unfit, hit by a prolonged injury, though we dont know the full story there. But as far as energy and work rate, I would say only the two I mentioned would have exceeded his efforts in '21. Not bad for a player trained for the backs and expected to play second row. Lets see how he performs when he's fit and settled. There are obviously problems behind the scenes, and fitness issues this year. But lets not judge him purely on the 2022 season, which has hardly seen several our Manly's players upping the tempo. Far easier to have energy when you play in the backs than in the forwards when you also have to do all the grunt work. Oranges and apples guys
You are equating work rate with the obvious things, often those things that are typically measured (stats for minutes played, tackles made, tries, etc etc)... This is the stuff that people see and is often just what's happening at the immediate point of conflict. What is more telling is the things that the average punter does not look for. Watch where he is when chasing kicks. Watch his urgency to get back into the defensive line after a tackle is made. Watch how far he moves up in the defensive line when the ball is sent the opposite direction. Watch his urgency to get back onside after a kick by the opposition. Watch his body language when the chips are down. These are just some of the things that go into making a complete player and make a team. I suggest Schu could be doing much better in these areas, and I'm not even touching on what he does off the field.

Being one of 3 players in a tackle and getting a tick next to your name .. doesn't equate to energy in the context of a football player.. @Uk eagle expressed it very well a view posts ago ...

He has some very lazy park football habits .. turning his back to get back 10 .. switching off if the play isn't close .. doesn't go looking for the ball or for work .. and (I believe an over reliance on one trick) ..

And my current assessment of him is not a life time sentence .. it is a view of his performances THIS year .

If he turns that around .. I will have a different assessment next year.

I am hoping he is the next messiah .. and wish him the best .. but peeing in his pocket, making excuses, blaming the coaching staff and ignoring his weak points is not going to be the saviour of him ..

Being one of 3 players in a tackle and getting a tick next to your name .. doesn't equate to energy in the context of a football player.. @Uk eagle expressed it very well a view posts ago ...

He has some very lazy park football habits .. turning his back to get back 10 .. switching off if the play isn't close .. doesn't go looking for the ball or for work .. and (I believe an over reliance on one trick) ..

And my current assessment of him is not a life time sentence .. it is a view of his performances THIS year .

If he turns that around .. I will have a different assessment next year.

I am hoping he is the next messiah .. and wish him the best .. but peeing in his pocket, making excuses, blaming the coaching staff and ignoring his weak points is not going to be the saviour of him ..
You make some very valid points there

The Shu seems to have some motivational issues and without making any excuses for him as we are all accountable for our actions

Des is also accountable for motivating players and phyching them up to over come their challenges

Bellamy is a master of that

You make some very valid points there

The Shu seems to have some motivational issues and without making any excuses for him as we are all accountable for our actions

Des is also accountable for motivating players and phyching them up to over come their challenges

Bellamy is a master of that
Hey Bozo. Have you ever tried to motivate a petulant teenager? @:D

The reason Bellamy appears to be a master in this area is because the club chooses players based on their character as well as their ability.

Hey Bozo. Have you ever tried to motivate a petulant teenager? @:D

The reason Bellamy appears to be a master in this area is because the club chooses players based on their character as well as their ability.

I believe A teenager has motivational triger points just like every one else does

I also believe Every character has unreleased potential and that why players that go to the Storm under Bellamy leave improved characters and players

I believe A teenager has motivational triger points just like every one else does

I also believe Every character has unreleased potential and that why players that go to the Storm under Bellamy leave improved characters and players
Absolutely, Bozo.

I agree wholeheartedly with the potential in every individual. That said, it makes your job and the ability to get a team humming along much easier when you do some vetting in the first place and choose characters that are going to best fit into a winning and team-first culture.

Must be wonderful to have a mind completely untroubled by rational thought ... everything is so simple ...
yep absolutely no idea - Foran is chicken schiit (I had to go back and check how he spelt that lol)... to play hooker. Just where in that deluded mind have they come up with that gem? Did Foran tell him he was asked to play Hooker and declined? Did he then say hey mate... I really am scared of having a run at hooker. I simply dont see Hasler even having Foran in his mind for hooker. And if he did ask Foran - not a hope Foran says sorry Des - I wont play there. And as for basically saying Foran is gutless... ohh my. Tough as nails and I would say he has been our best player all year. Foran or Davey would be the two besides Jake who you could say week in week out played close to their best. I had to laugh... chicken schiit lol lol lol

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8