• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't understand how his future is clouded ?? he has two more years to run on the current deal after this season. Most NRL contracts would only be 3 years long, so he is currently in the same boat as 75% of the players in the NRL. The irony of him being released unexpectedly wouldn't be lost on some, given the circumstances leading up to his contract in the first place.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

if Manly’s only attacking options come off DCE then opposition can easily put him off his game by running big forwards at him in defence and from markers knowing he is going to get the ball in attack.

When Thurston was at the Cowboys opposition did the same thing until he had a great roster around him. They finished in the bottom half of the comp more than the top half with one of the greatest halfbacks of all time.

Are we paying DCE too much, yes. Is there another half we could get for cheaper, maybe, but who knows. We took a gamble on him years ago and it hasn’t yet paid off. But there is still time.

Premierships aren’t easy to come by. You need a great roster, with a great run of luck, with few injuries to key players.

We have been spoilt over the years. My 12 year old son has been to two Manly GF,s with one win. I know supporters of other clubs who have never seen there team win.

With some luck next year we may be premiers again, and if so DCE will go down as a club great.

if he retires and we don’t get another one sure he won’t have that same status but he does bleed Maroon and White.
While i agree with bits of what you said its a tad insulting to foran, schuster and turbo who seem to be providing nearly all of the attacking options. Apart from the warriors game where he got one try assist to saab and a lucky fumble from a grubber he has done bugger all until the opposition has put the cue in the rack in any game

The reality is its time he tried to put himself in the game to take the heat off tom. How good could tom be if he wasnt the only point of attack and had the halfback to run off

While i agree with bits of what you said its a tad insulting to foran, schuster and turbo who seem to be providing nearly all of the attacking options. Apart from the warriors game where he got one try assist to saab and a lucky fumble from a grubber he has done bugger all until the opposition has put the cue in the rack in any game

The reality is its time he tried to put himself in the game to take the heat off tom. How good could tom be if he wasnt the only point of attack and had the halfback to run off
Seems pretty right to me, seems as if our halfback is happier to run off our FB than get stuck in and do his job, providing our side with attacking options, we need him to do more than be a support runner in attack.

We missed 19 tackles in the first half yesterday, chez missed horribly on To’o that lead to their first try, Foz got found out later in the game on Martins try, Cleary sucked him in, anyway take those two defensive errors out of the game and it’s fair to say the result may have been very different.
I disagree - Foz took the runner - but he had to - whoever was outside Foz needed to come in as well - a lack of communication there. Bit hard to communicate because of how delayed the pass was but the outside men had to be instinctive. Cleary delayed the pass beautifully so Foran had to come in but then if he goes in they all have to go in. Essentially it was a very good play from Cleary in reality.

His contract is up soon. Whether it’s at the end of 2022 or 2023 (nobody seems too sure) the decision whether to keep him needs to be made soon.
I think we can all agree he’s been on an overly inflated contract for too long. I also believe in his mind, he’s expecting a contract extension on similar money. Surely they aren’t stupid enough to continue to pay him $1M plus per season.

My 2 cents; I hope the Broncos offer him a 3 year deal starting next year and it happens asap. It’s a win win for both. Brisbane desperately need a “Marquee” signing and we need to free up money to secure most of our U/17 Harold Matts side. Cust is ready to go now and Foran is currently healthy plus we’ve got Schuster.

Last edited:
I disagree - Foz took the runner - but he had to - whoever was outside Foz needed to come in as well - a lack of communication there. Bit hard to communicate because of how delayed the pass was but the outside men had to be instinctive. Cleary delayed the pass beautifully so Foran had to come in but then if he goes in they all have to go in. Essentially it was a very good play from Cleary in reality.
Well we we’re sliding in defence and Foz should of continued to go out on his man, Martin, Cleary clearly sucked him in out of the line and of course that’s good play, they had numbers. I think shoe was playing inside him and didn’t get up or across on Cleary giving him way to much time with the ball, next in line on the inside was Jake and the attacking line speed caught him and sips out, to be fair Eisenhuth run a line to help hold the inside defenders up from sliding with the ball. I don’t think you can expect a sliding defence to all turn and come in, either way Cleary is a class player, best half in the game by daylight, i guess it’s all perspective really and that’s just the way I saw it.

OH this will get this place rocking......​

NRL 2021: Manly captain Daly Cherry-Evans set to sign extension with club​

First it was Brisbane. Then South Sydney. Here’s the truth about Manly captain Daly Cherry-Evans playing future.

Forget the rumours he is leaving – here’s the truth.
Manly skipper Daly Cherry-Evans is in discussions about extending his deal at Brookvale until the end of either 2024 or 2025.
The surprise development will finally cease speculation Cherry-Evans will be asked to leave because of salary cap issues, has been approached by Brisbane or wants to join South Sydney.
Cherry-Evans started as a Sea Eagle and will retire a Sea Eagle.
He famously signed a $10 million, eight-year contract in 2015, after backflipping on a deal to join Gold Coast.

Even with two-and-a-half years remaining on his current contract, Manly wants to lock in Cherry-Evans for a contract extension.
The new deal, which could be nailed down within weeks, will span either one or two years.
“Our strong desire is for Daly to play his entire NRL career at the Sea Eagles and become a proud one-club player,” Manly chief executive Stephen Humphreys said.
“He is under contract for a further two seasons after the current one and we have never entertained the thought of him not being in our colours.
“Daly is the ultimate professional who is confident of playing beyond 2023. If that’s the case then we definitely want that to be with Manly.”
Manly want Daly Cherry-Evans to stay at Brookvale. Picture: Matt Blyth/Getty

Manly want Daly Cherry-Evans to stay at Brookvale. Picture: Matt Blyth/Getty
Cherry-Evans turned 32 in February and would be 34 when his current contract expires.
A one-year extension would have Cherry-Evans retiring at 35, a two-year deal at 36.
Former Roosters halfback Cooper Cronk played until he was 36, Queensland teammate Cam Smith continued until he was 37. Both won grand finals in their last NRL games.
Speculation has been swirling about Cherry-Evans wanting to move to Souths, given halfback Adam Reynolds is set to leave at Redfern.
Reynolds was due to meet with Broncos coach Kevin Walters and new CEO Dave Donaghy in Sydney over the weekend.
Des Hasler has fixed the Sea Eagles’ salary cap problems. Picture: Matt King/Getty

Des Hasler has fixed the Sea Eagles’ salary cap problems. Picture: Matt King/Getty
Then there was chatter about Cherry-Evans returning to Queensland to help end Brisbane’s ongoing problems in the halves.
That followed a suggestion Manly coach Des Hasler was battling salary cap problems and would be forced to shop around Cherry-Evans. Hasler has successfully reworked Manly’s once messy salary cap after playing with a reduced cap in 2018 and ‘19 for breaches.
All rumours proved incorrect.
“I have no doubt age will slow me down at some point, it does that for everyone, but I just think it’s definitely not right now,” Cherry-Evans told The Sunday Telegraph.
Cherry-Evans is on track to become a one-club player. Picture: Matt Blyth/Getty

Cherry-Evans is on track to become a one-club player. Picture: Matt Blyth/Getty
“I have three years left and a lot would have to change for me to ever leave Manly.”
Cherry-Evans said he has been falsely linked with rival clubs just about every season.
“When these rumours (of being moved on) come up, you find out pretty quickly how much support you have at the club,” he said. “I’m sure the right people at Manly will get in contact with me and reassure me that’s not the case.
“It seems to be the yearly rumour. Usually, it comes up in October, but here we are in May and it’s started already.
“I understand the coverage of rugby league is there to create content and get the fans talking about rugby league, but I take all the speculation with a grain of salt.
“If Manly ever tapped me on the shoulder and said: ‘Daly, you are no good to us’ then I would have to go elsewhere.”

DCE speaks out on Broncos move

- Peter Badel
Daly Cherry-Evans has broken his silence on speculation he is set to be offloaded to the Broncos with the Manly skipper revealing his ambition to finish his NRL career at the Sea Eagles.
In a wide-ranging interview with The Sunday Mail, Cherry-Evans addressed the Broncos rumours, insisted he could sign one more deal with Manly and declared Roosters whiz-kid Sam Walker as his possible successor in the Queensland Origin jumper.
The Queensland Origin skipper has been buffeted by speculation he could be jettisoned by Manly and released to the Broncos at season‘s end due to salary-cap pressures at Brookvale.
“A lot would have to change for me to ever leave Manly,” he said.
Bad news Brisbane fans – Daly Cherry-Evans has no plans to leave the Manly Sea Eagles. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty Images

Bad news Brisbane fans – Daly Cherry-Evans has no plans to leave the Manly Sea Eagles. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty Images
THE BRONCOS
The Maroons playmaker has consistently been linked with a return home to play for the Broncos, dating back to 2014 when Anthony Griffin was coaching at Brisbane.
Cherry-Evans will face Brisbane on Friday week when Manly travel to Queensland for the NRL Magic Round, but the Sea Eagles maestro insists that will be the closest he comes to a Broncos jumper at Suncorp Stadium.
“It seems to be the yearly rumour,” Cherry-Evans said of his Broncos links.
“Usually, it comes up in October, but here we are in May and it‘s started already.
“I understand the coverage of rugby league is there to create content and get the fans talking about rugby league, but I take all the speculation with a grain of salt.
“If Manly ever tapped me on the shoulder and Daly, you are no good to us, then I would have to go elsewhere, but to be honest, I‘m not the answer for the Broncos.”
MANLY MINEFIELD
The Sea Eagles are said to be battling salary-cap pressures, putting Cherry-Evans‘ tenure at the club under the microscope.
Cherry-Evans is the highest-paid player in the NRL on a $1.25 million-a-season deal. It is the type of contract that can cripple a club under the salary cap and there is speculation Manly management may look to offload their No. 1-ranked player on a subsidised deal.
Souths have also been mentioned as a possible destination, but Cherry-Evans is determined to honour his Sea Eagles contract, which expires at the end of 2023, and hopes Manly bosses feel the same way.
Daly Cherry-Evans feels he can play beyond his current contract. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty Images

Daly Cherry-Evans feels he can play beyond his current contract. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty Images
“Look, I am happy at Manly,” he said.
“I‘ve always said I love playing at Manly, playing for Manly and living in the community.
“When these rumours (of being moved on) come up, you find out pretty quickly how much support you have at the club.
“I‘m sure the right people at Manly will get in contact with me and reassure me that’s not the case.
“I haven‘t spoken to anyone at the club. I’m paid to play footy and produce results and the first four weeks that didn’t happen. But I feel I’ve turned my individual form around so I’m more worried about getting Manly on track than calling club officials.
“I‘m not naive to think it (Cherry-Evans being offloaded) couldn’t happen one day because rugby league is hell of a game and contract situations change very quickly. I know that happens.
“But if I‘m lucky enough to choose the way I want my career to finish, I want it to finish at Manly.”
PLAYING ON
WHEN Cherry-Evans signed his eight-year, $10 million contract in 2015, it was touted as the deal that would carry him into NRL retirement. But the 244-game premiership halfback says he could sign another deal to play on in 2024, by which time he would celebrate his 35th birthday.
Former Maroons teammates Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith played until the age of 36 and 37 respectively.
“I have no doubt age will slow me down at some point, it does that for everyone, but I just think it‘s definitely not right now,” said DCE, who turned 32 in February.
“I have three years left.
“I know I have to uphold my end of the bargain and play good football, but I am pretty confident I can play well enough to see out my contract and maybe a few more years.
“I‘d like to think I can play on. I’m optimistic. I know things can change quickly. I would like to think I can sign one more deal.
“Cam Smith played until 37, he is a bit of a unicorn, but it‘s not too uncommon for players to play until their mid-30s now. I don’t think that’s out of reason for me.”
Sam Walker looks like a ready-made replacement for DCE at the Maroons. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

Sam Walker looks like a ready-made replacement for DCE at the Maroons. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
SAM WALKER
The Roosters whiz-kid has hit the NRL like a tsunami. There is even better news for Maroons fans – the 18-year-old from Ipswich is eligible for Queensland and Cherry-Evans believes Walker can succeed him in the No. 7 jumper.
“It‘s exciting to see a Queensland kid of his talent coming through,” he said.
“I had to wait such a long time to become a genuine Origin half. I always thought I was up to it earlier than it came but it‘s important for Queensland to have depth in key positions. Every year people question Queensland’s depth but every series we manage to put together the best 17 for each game and they do the Maroon jumper proud.
“Sam is such a freakish talent for his age and the NRL doesn‘t look too big for him at all.
“If you play well at NRL level consistently, you will play Origin at some stage and I‘d love to meet Sam one day. Who knows? He could end up taking my spot.”
Daly Cherry-Evans won over the Queensland fans after skippering the Maroons to their series boilover last season.

Daly Cherry-Evans won over the Queensland fans after skippering the Maroons to their series boilover last season.
ORIGIN HEROICS
Cherry-Evans was once reviled by Queensland fans for reneging on his Titans contract in 2015. But he feels he won over some hearts by skippering the Maroons to last year‘s series boilover of the Blues.
“Last year was really special,” he said.
“It was made a lot more special with the journey I had taken falling out of the Queensland side and I fell out of favour with the fans and the people of Queensland.

More Coverage​

Revealed: How new Broncos boss plans to fix the club
“So to be able to feel that I won back some support, I felt like I did it at that moment when I held the shield up.
“It was a proud moment, not just for me but the whole Queensland team. I want to create that special feeling again.”

Manly won't pay any freight because they will have to overspend to replace him. Its a non story. DCE would love to go on a bigger contract, but Manly won't pay I reckon.

Surely the club aren't stupid enough to extend his current deal until 2023 season, if at all. Why would you lock yourself in to a further 1 or 2 years now ?? Absolutely zero to be gained from that. You essentially say to any young half - don't bother coming here you won't get a run for another 3 or 4 years. He has had 6 years now to deliver a premiership and apart from one season we haven't gone close to the big dance. I can't see that situation changing in the short term, he isn't improving or maturing enough in his play to make me think he will suddenly be the best halfback in the game. Let him test the market in 2023, I'm betting he won't be fielding $1.2mil offers.

If he delivers the trophy in the next two years then by all means open the negotiation, but IMO let's just move on and try a different tack.

Surely the club aren't stupid enough to extend his current deal until 2023 season, if at all. Why would you lock yourself in to a further 1 or 2 years now ?? Absolutely zero to be gained from that. You essentially say to any young half - don't bother coming here you won't get a run for another 3 or 4 years. He has had 6 years now to deliver a premiership and apart from one season we haven't gone close to the big dance. I can't see that situation changing in the short term, he isn't improving or maturing enough in his play to make me think he will suddenly be the best halfback in the game. Let him test the market in 2023, I'm betting he won't be fielding $1.2mil offers.
If he delivers the trophy in the next two years then by all means open the negotiation, but IMO let's just move on and try a different tack.
yeah im not buying it . One interview saying he hopes he doesnt get the tap to move on , 10 minutes later we are in the middle of a long process to re sign. Manager would have hated cherry saying that.

It seems one head isnt talking to the other, thats a queensland joke. For a while now his manager has been agitating in the media . He is obviously settled and wants to stay at manly.

I doubt souths, bennett, or the new franchise are chasing him and this is affecting his price moving forward. His game isnt improving his worth on the field so the new club and the desperate broncos are the only leverage they have. In 3 months time both of those riddles may be solved and all of a sudden his leverage is gone and his form is the only thing driving his price . Act now while there is percieved interest

Fainus brother, latu looked a gun in the harold mats yesterday

Humphreys ( cEO ) is inexperienced and we will see his worth in the process more than chezs. Poker face is required

Have to remember chezs contract is a good return for the manager. Plenty of gravy in that

DCE has 2 years and if not a GF appearance happens I think his long term deal has not been worth it. I love DCE as a player and support him but he needs to start delivering on his big money, yes he is winning games for us with his boot but now he needs to take us deep into finals as our captain.

We as a club need to tread very carefully because the wrong decision on the future of DCE post his current contract could screw us even more as a club salary cap wise.

I would nothing more than to see DCE a one club player but if that comes at the expense of our promising juniors , our current stars ie schuster and tank, then no thanks on his extension. Our cap needs to be better managed over to you ceo and owners.

Last edited:
Well we we’re sliding in defence and Foz should of continued to go out on his man, Martin, Cleary clearly sucked him in out of the line and of course that’s good play, they had numbers. I think shoe was playing inside him and didn’t get up or across on Cleary giving him way to much time with the ball, next in line on the inside was Jake and the attacking line speed caught him and sips out, to be fair Eisenhuth run a line to help hold the inside defenders up from sliding with the ball. I don’t think you can expect a sliding defence to all turn and come in, either way Cleary is a class player, best half in the game by daylight, i guess it’s all perspective really and that’s just the way I saw it.
yep agreed they either slide out or come in and the general "rule" of slide defence is you don't leave your man until the ball has gone from the hands and gone across you so you then slide to the next man. Cleary held onto that for so long that Foz was committed to his man which meant Jake had to take that next attacker - Martin. That is just from my memory of playing slide defence. But yes agreed - Cleary held the defence and the decoy runner did a great job and Cleary threaded the needle.

cannot get my head around people saying DCE should go to the broncos next year

he is the 2nd best halfback in the comp by a mile and i really don't see the benefit in him going. Who are we going to sign? We have jut started to get a better squad together, probably one of the more evened-out squads since 2015/2017, and now we want our marquee half to go?

DCE has 3-4 more years in him at least. bloke hasn't been injured in years and doesn't look likely to change. foran is on the decline, this could be his last year or maybe next, Schuster is a five eighth or bac krower and cust is not going to become a top quality NRL half. I see no upside whatsoever from letting DCE go simply because there would be no one of the quality to fill his shoes. we would also lose out a lot of his experience in teaching the youngsters (schuster, cust, fainu, humphries etc) about the game.

if we go deep this year give him another year extension. hopefully he'd take around 800 and a step down to 700/750 when hes like 35.

cannot get my head around people saying DCE should go to the broncos next year

he is the 2nd best halfback in the comp by a mile and i really don't see the benefit in him going. Who are we going to sign? We have jut started to get a better squad together, probably one of the more evened-out squads since 2015/2017, and now we want our marquee half to go?

DCE has 3-4 more years in him at least. bloke hasn't been injured in years and doesn't look likely to change. foran is on the decline, this could be his last year or maybe next, Schuster is a five eighth or bac krower and cust is not going to become a top quality NRL half. I see no upside whatsoever from letting DCE go simply because there would be no one of the quality to fill his shoes. we would also lose out a lot of his experience in teaching the youngsters (schuster, cust, fainu, humphries etc) about the game.

if we go deep this year give him another year extension. hopefully he'd take around 800 and a step down to 700/750 when hes like 35.
At the moment top 3 halves
Cleary
Hughes
Sam walker

Dce isnt close to these guys

Only guy to replace him would be Reynolds but the chips wont fall that way and Cherry is Manly and can be better than Reynolds

Last edited:
If he stays beyond 2023 he needs to be on a reduced contract. The amount of money DCE chews up from our cap and what he actually delivers isn't worth it. You could get someone who is young and can do the basics on are much cheaper contract imo.
I would agree that it would absolutely need to be reduced, and you know what I would actually think that Daly would recognise that as well. He's been on a contract of $1.25m or close enough for 8 years (come the end of his contract) and the club has certainly provided him with a huge amount of faith with that.

He would likely become our most capped player for the club and an absolute great of the Maroon and White, so I think a sacrifice in regards to a cut of his current value would be something he would be willing to do.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7