Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Daly Cherrygraph

davohan123

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
DCE has 2 years and if not a GF appearance happens I think his long term deal has not been worth it. I love DCE as a player and support him but he needs to start delivering on his big money, yes he is winning games for us with his boot but now he needs to take us deep into finals as our captain.

We as a club need to tread very carefully because the wrong decision on the future of DCE post his current contract could screw us even more as a club salary cap wise.

I would nothing more than to see DCE a one club player but if that comes at the expense of our promising juniors , our current stars ie schuster and tank, then no thanks on his extension. Our cap needs to be better managed over to you ceo and owners.

Last edited:

Brisbane Tragic

Bencher
Reaction score
Well we we’re sliding in defence and Foz should of continued to go out on his man, Martin, Cleary clearly sucked him in out of the line and of course that’s good play, they had numbers. I think shoe was playing inside him and didn’t get up or across on Cleary giving him way to much time with the ball, next in line on the inside was Jake and the attacking line speed caught him and sips out, to be fair Eisenhuth run a line to help hold the inside defenders up from sliding with the ball. I don’t think you can expect a sliding defence to all turn and come in, either way Cleary is a class player, best half in the game by daylight, i guess it’s all perspective really and that’s just the way I saw it.
yep agreed they either slide out or come in and the general "rule" of slide defence is you don't leave your man until the ball has gone from the hands and gone across you so you then slide to the next man. Cleary held onto that for so long that Foz was committed to his man which meant Jake had to take that next attacker - Martin. That is just from my memory of playing slide defence. But yes agreed - Cleary held the defence and the decoy runner did a great job and Cleary threaded the needle.

Mataiforerver

Bencher
Reaction score
cannot get my head around people saying DCE should go to the broncos next year

he is the 2nd best halfback in the comp by a mile and i really don't see the benefit in him going. Who are we going to sign? We have jut started to get a better squad together, probably one of the more evened-out squads since 2015/2017, and now we want our marquee half to go?

DCE has 3-4 more years in him at least. bloke hasn't been injured in years and doesn't look likely to change. foran is on the decline, this could be his last year or maybe next, Schuster is a five eighth or bac krower and cust is not going to become a top quality NRL half. I see no upside whatsoever from letting DCE go simply because there would be no one of the quality to fill his shoes. we would also lose out a lot of his experience in teaching the youngsters (schuster, cust, fainu, humphries etc) about the game.

if we go deep this year give him another year extension. hopefully he'd take around 800 and a step down to 700/750 when hes like 35.

Bring back the.... Biff?

Captain/Coach
Reaction score
cannot get my head around people saying DCE should go to the broncos next year

he is the 2nd best halfback in the comp by a mile and i really don't see the benefit in him going. Who are we going to sign? We have jut started to get a better squad together, probably one of the more evened-out squads since 2015/2017, and now we want our marquee half to go?

DCE has 3-4 more years in him at least. bloke hasn't been injured in years and doesn't look likely to change. foran is on the decline, this could be his last year or maybe next, Schuster is a five eighth or bac krower and cust is not going to become a top quality NRL half. I see no upside whatsoever from letting DCE go simply because there would be no one of the quality to fill his shoes. we would also lose out a lot of his experience in teaching the youngsters (schuster, cust, fainu, humphries etc) about the game.

if we go deep this year give him another year extension. hopefully he'd take around 800 and a step down to 700/750 when hes like 35.
At the moment top 3 halves
Cleary
Hughes
Sam walker

Dce isnt close to these guys

Only guy to replace him would be Reynolds but the chips wont fall that way and Cherry is Manly and can be better than Reynolds

Last edited:

Mitch

Bencher
Reaction score
If he stays beyond 2023 he needs to be on a reduced contract. The amount of money DCE chews up from our cap and what he actually delivers isn't worth it. You could get someone who is young and can do the basics on are much cheaper contract imo.
I would agree that it would absolutely need to be reduced, and you know what I would actually think that Daly would recognise that as well. He's been on a contract of $1.25m or close enough for 8 years (come the end of his contract) and the club has certainly provided him with a huge amount of faith with that.

He would likely become our most capped player for the club and an absolute great of the Maroon and White, so I think a sacrifice in regards to a cut of his current value would be something he would be willing to do.

Kevinward777

First Grader
Reaction score
It has to be; makes no sense for manly to entertain it at this stage otherwise
Yep, it was the first thing that came to mind when I read they were extending him. Everyone wins in such a situation.
  • DCE gets increased financial stability for 4-5 years.
  • Manly get salary cap relief.
  • DCE becomes a one-club player.
  • Manly maintain stability in the squad
  • DCE improves his profile for life after football playing career.

Last edited:

Kevinward777

First Grader
Reaction score
he has made noises over the last season or two that suggest he isn't comfortable with the pressure his contract brings
IMO, there's no way the club would entertain an extension three years out without gaining an immediate advantage. Also, if he gets injured later in his career, they can medically retire him. DCE doesn't have any pre-existing injury complications at this point.

Kevinward777

First Grader
Reaction score
Perhaps the recruitment team have been reading the ideas presented by old @BOZO - time will tell.

The Who

First Grader
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very good interview. DCE didn't duck any questions.
My take on DCE is this (should anybody be interested):
His contract is ridiculously high, but for that I blame the club, not DCE.
He has been up for a long time and is still capable of stellar performances. They won't happen as regularly as they used to until some of the players around him improve/change.
He is rarely injured, and must play many matches with injuries that would sideline lesser mortals. With that in mind, isn't he better value at $1.25-m for 24+ matches a season than a $800,000 halfback who is regularly sidelined?
DCE is a leader and has won more matches in clutch situations than anyone else I can think of.
He is a good role model off-the-field and has never brought discredit to the club.
I'd hate to see him play against us because I know he'd break our hearts with a field goal in extra time.

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
Reaction score
Yep, it was the first thing that came to mind when I read they were extending him. Everyone wins in such a situation.
  • DCE gets increased financial stability for 4-5 years.
  • Manly get salary cap relief.
  • DCE becomes a one-club player.
  • Manly maintain stability in the squad
  • DCE improves his profile for life after football playing career.
Daily Telegraph headline:

DCE BACKFLIPS ON MANLY DEAL BY SIGNING NEW MANLY DEAL

Staff online

Latest posts

2021 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 9 9 0 0 200 18
2 Eels 9 8 0 1 136 16
3 Storm 9 7 0 2 184 14
4 Rabbitohs 9 7 0 2 61 14
5 Roosters 9 6 0 3 123 12
6 Dragons 9 5 0 4 24 10