Tevita Funa

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Wingers don't usually drop till tackle 4 (not sure what tackle that was)??, but fair point in general...so often opposition kicks find space behind our wingers in general, forcing a repeat set or an absolute struggle set after starting out from terrible field position....
In actual fact you have nailed a very valid point as to our recent form, I can't recall seeing any other NRL side in 2020, start each set from as tough a position as Manly, which makes it an absolute struggle to keep in the contest due to poor field position and as stated, rarely do we see these 6 more calls or penalties to piggy back us out.
I wonder if it would make sense for wingers to drop back say 20m from the very first tackle, assuming the play is centrally located. It would be easy enough for them to come back up into the line if they see the ball starting to be spread out wide to their side. It would deter early kick plays like that one we saw.

I like funa. He is confident and is a hard hitter in defence. At centre he'll be a big improvement

I wonder if it would make sense for wingers to drop back say 20m from the very first tackle, assuming the play is centrally located. It would be easy enough for them to come back up into the line if they see the ball starting to be spread out wide to their side. It would deter early kick plays like that one we saw.
Wingers drop back using a pendulum type system. I know this because my bro told me this is how they train. When you are defending a short side you will stay up in the line with the far winger dropping back and fullback covers middle to blind. Vice versa for the opposite side. If the ball is centre field both wingers will slightly drop back. It's like a pendulum, the further side of the field the ball goes the further you drop back. The close the ball gets to your side, the more you move up.

Wingers drop back using a pendulum type system. I know this because my bro told me this is how they train. When you are defending a short side you will stay up in the line with the far winger dropping back and fullback covers middle to blind. Vice versa for the opposite side. If the ball is centre field both wingers will slightly drop back. It's like a pendulum, the further side of the field the ball goes the further you drop back. The close the ball gets to your side, the more you move up.

I love learning stuff like this, find it really interesting.

Awesome, thanks for the info, Robbo. This is exactly the sort of thing I expected. I guess our pendulum was a bit wonky on that play

The first thing I noticed about Funa when he was put in at FB was that he attacks the ball when taking a bomb.

Neither Elliott nor Garrick looked comfortable under the high ball, never mind confident enough to charge at it like Funa does.

Awesome, thanks for the info, Robbo. This is exactly the sort of thing I expected. I guess our pendulum was a bit wonky on that play
Well yeah neither Funa or Taufua were in place for the Addo Carr try. Our pendulum has been wonky all year. Another massive part we are missing from Turbo

Let him go? You must be kidding! He is a talent we have been patiently developing for several years, and it's all just about ready to pay off.
I agree with you I think he is a long stayer at the club just trying to opeese those on here who think otherwise.

I think funa will not be going anywhere ,anytime soon.

Well yeah neither Funa or Taufua were in place for the Addo Carr try. Our pendulum has been wonky all year. Another massive part we are missing from Turbo
Can't blame Jorge for that one. He plays on our left side. Addo Carr scored down our right side. But hey Jorge is an easy target for some.

The first thing I noticed about Funa when he was put in at FB was that he attacks the ball when taking a bomb.

Neither Elliott nor Garrick looked comfortable under the high ball, never mind confident enough to charge at it like Funa does.

Completely disagree about Elliott and the highball. He is very safe and probably the best part of his game.

It would be the fullback communicating with his wingers on who is to drop back and when. The role the fullback plays in organising the defensive structure can't be under estimated. Having inexperienced fullbacks has contributed to our defensive issues IMO.

Completely disagree about Elliott and the highball. He is very safe and probably the best part of his game.

I agree catching bombs was the best part of Elliott's game but to me he never looks confident- sure he'd position himself well & usually catch them but Funa seems to be comfortable jumping & contesting for them whereas Elliott usually stayed on the ground.

As an ex halfback I'd love to see the defending team do that. I'd have my fullback in the line straight away and put our winger into space.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8