Tevita Funa

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As an ex halfback I'd love to see the defending team do that. I'd have my fullback in the line straight away and put our winger into space.
Assuming the wingers are shallow and can close the gap by the time the ball is spread I'd imagine it could work well. However, I'd also assume it would take a fair amount of good judgement from the wingers?

Assuming the wingers are shallow and can close the gap by the time the ball is spread I'd imagine it could work well. However, I'd also assume it would take a fair amount of good judgement from the wingers?
yeah I am being a bit of a smartarse, and in all truth probably couldn't have engineered much in the way of a break down the sideline

I wonder if it would make sense for wingers to drop back say 20m from the very first tackle, assuming the play is centrally located. It would be easy enough for them to come back up into the line if they see the ball starting to be spread out wide to their side. It would deter early kick plays like that one we saw.
I get the point HK, but that's playing more for the lower percentage play of a kick, rather than having a solid defensive line which is the priority....would get caught out plenty by early shifts and as an example often a kick downfield where a winger chases the attacker mid field to make a tackle, the playmakers will often challenge that wing when he is caught infield and create an instant overlap....which would work out about the same.
However if the wingers were to drop back 5-10 metres, where the winger can still get the jump on these kicks, yet be up enough to move forward to counter an attacking shift is good, just the 20m is a bit deep...imo

Can't blame Jorge for that one. He plays on our left side. Addo Carr scored down our right side. But hey Jorge is an easy target for some.
Well actually going by the pendulum, Jorge should have been back on his side and allow Funa to cover the short side so yeah kinda can blame Jorge for that. He is the experienced winger, should have been back and pushing Funa across

It would be the fullback communicating with his wingers on who is to drop back and when. The role the fullback plays in organising the defensive structure can't be under estimated. Having inexperienced fullbacks has contributed to our defensive issues IMO.
A good winger should know his job. I'm not sure the fullback is telling wingers when to drop back, More making sure we are marking up with even numbers.
But yeah I agree we do miss Turbo directing the defence.

Certainly when he is fit enough. Funa has the makings of a gun centre with his strong defence. Don't think you can put Hoppa at fullback until he shows that he is fit enough to handle the position at NRL level.

Maybe Des can have him swap with Funa like Souths did with Mitchell and Johnston when he was getting match fit.

Certainly when he is fit enough. Funa has the makings of a gun centre with his strong defence. Don't think you can put Hoppa at fullback until he shows that he is fit enough to handle the position at NRL level.
Thing is Tomay, if you can play Hoppa in the NRL out of position, it may actually help to play him in his most familiar position....and keep in mind, centre is actually Funas preferred position also

Thing is Tomay, if you can play Hoppa in the NRL out of position, it may actually help to play him in his most familiar position....and keep in mind, centre is actually Funas preferred position also
From all reports Manly see Hoppas future as a centre/winger. I don't think he will play too much fullback, at least for a couple years

Some young players look goods in the lower grades until they face the pace of the faster beat of the music symphony orchestra at NRL level . Whilst others make it their own

At only 19 years of age this kid is creating a rage with his outrageous speed and skill
download (11).jpg

Last edited:
Maybe next season, but you need a fair bit of fitness for fullback - there's no hiding and a lot of work. He didn't look to be there last week.
Agree he looked unfit after a long layoff and the Storm gameplan of working him over, with a power running Olam took it out of him being in the front line...at fullback he would not be worked over as much as in the front line, besides trying to isolate him from kicks, where he would be better positioned than Funa imo

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6