Round 3: NON Manly games - discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
To me, on paper, tonight's game is a match between's Doesn'tmatta's very strong backline and the Bronco's very strong forward pack.
As I stress, on paper the Eels have one of the top three set of backs in the comp (the other two being Easts and Souths).
Brisbane has the most 'exciting' set of forwards in the comp. I don't see any other pack as having their attacking potential. The test will be whether they can defend for sustained periods, like Easts and Melbourne have proven you need to be able to do in order to win premierships.
I don't like either team. In fact, they are my two most despised clubs, but I'm tipping Doesn'tmatta to win a free-scoring affair.
Wow. For once I was correct in my assessment.
Permit me this opportunity to gloat. It doesn't happen much.

I was very impressed with Doesn'tmatta's performance. They have me worried that they will be very competitive this season, something none of us wants to admit.
However, I was somewhat gladdened to read the following snippet which could spell a financial hit for Doesn'tmatta's sponsor, Aland:

The owners of Sydney's Mascot Towers are claiming more than $15 million in damages from the developer of a neighbouring building they allege is responsible for major cracks appearing in the apartment complex they were forced to evacuate almost a year ago.
Fair Trading is also investigating the certification work on Peak Towers, which was developed by Aland Developments and neighbours the 132-unit Mascot Towers in Sydney's inner-south.

You sure about that ? If you throw a pass backwards that hits the ground and bounces forward it's not a knock on.

There is a difference between a pass and the ball being dropped.

If the ball is clearly passed backwards, even if it happens to hit the ground first it doesn't matter which direction it bounces. However, if a player attempts to catch the ball and they drop it, even if the initial flight of the ball is backwards off the hands/arm/shoulder, if it hits the ground before being regathered and the first bounce is towards the opposition try line ... then by the rules it is a knock on.

That's where a lot of people, fans, television commentators etc, actually get it wrong. They see the ball being dropped and the initial flight of the ball is backwards so they automatically think its a knock back and the ref has got it wrong. But it doesn't work that way. If the ball bounces before anyone can regather it and the bounce direction is forwards, then its a knock on.

Last edited:
I was very impressed with Doesn'tmatta's performance. They have me worried that they will be very competitive this season, something none of us wants to admit.
However, I was somewhat gladdened to read the following snippet which could spell a financial hit for Doesn'tmatta's sponsor, Aland:

The owners of Sydney's Mascot Towers are claiming more than $15 million in damages from the developer of a neighbouring building they allege is responsible for major cracks appearing in the apartment complex they were forced to evacuate almost a year ago.
Fair Trading is also investigating the certification work on Peak Towers, which was developed by Aland Developments and neighbours the 132-unit Mascot Towers in Sydney's inner-south.
Excellent. They have swapped one dodgy developer sponsor for another. Says it all about that club really and the corporate image that sponsors want to attach themselves to.

I have a feeling the Donkeys will be up for this one , and I’m sure the 58-0 score line will be getting plenty of airplay at their training.

They aren’t quite at full strength so Eels in with a great chance but at home with no travel, it’s Donkeys for me ( sadly someone has to win).

Oh well, **** happens !!!!!!

Now for the next one Cows at home to the Tits.

Cows in a gallop ( do Cows gallop???, probably not but you get the picture).

Now for the next one Cows at home to the Tits.

Cows in a gallop ( do Cows gallop???, probably not but you get the picture).

Given that from what we have already seen last night, fitness is going to play a key role in how teams go early in the season re-start ... I can't see the Titans being much of a threat. Not with that fraud Dan Ferris being their fitness "guru".

Souffs V Easts?
At full strength I'd be tipping Souffs. But without Walker and Roberts I'm going for Easts.
It will be interesting to see if either team plays to the same standard that Doesn'tmatta achieved.

Souffs V Easts?
At full strength I'd be tipping Souffs. But without Walker and Roberts I'm going for Easts.
It will be interesting to see if either team plays to the same standard that Doesn'tmatta achieved.

Doesn't-matta's performance needs to be put into perspective though. They were the ones who happened to benefit from the new 6 again rule and in the first game back were able to exploit Brisbane's lack of fitness after two months off. But when the commentators mentioned that the new rules seem to be suiting them, it was actually Billy Slater who made a good argument. He said "for tonight" and explained the test will come when the shoe is on the other foot and they are the ones trying to defend their line for 10-15 tackles in a row without any breaks for penalties or the opposition getting the chance to eat up a few minutes by taking a kick at goal.

If Manly get that early roll on against the Worms next week, they might end up looking exactly like they made Brisbane look last night.

One thing we are going to see over the next couple of weeks at least, especially with the new 6 again rule, is which teams slackened off over the last two months and which still managed to keep a decent level of fitness. Hopefully Manly are among those who have kept their fitness up to some sort of level.

Last edited:
Doesn't-matta's performance needs to be put into perspective though. They were the ones who happened to benefit from the new 6 again rule and in the first game back were able to exploit Brisbane's lack of fitness after two months off. But when the commentators mentioned that the new rules seem to be suiting them, it was actually Billy Slater who made a good argument. He said "for tonight" and explained the test will come when the shoe is on the other foot and they are the ones trying to defend their line for 10-15 tackles in a row without any breaks for penalties or the opposition getting the chance to eat up a few minutes by taking a kick at goal.

If Manly get that early roll on against the Worms next week, they might end up looking exactly like they made Brisbane look last night.

One thing we are going to see over the next couple of weeks at least, especially with the new 6 again rule, is which teams slackened off over the last two months and which still managed to keep a decent level of fitness.

Or the reverse could happen.

One of the new buzzwords is going to be “ discipline “ , the teams that do that better will be the winners of the “ six again” rule.

Very intelligent step there by Kelly with little space to work with. He looked like a smart player when he was with us too

As will Tommy I think , but I’m more worried about our big forwards I think we aren’t as well suited as say Parramatta is.
Tommy will kill it. I was surprised at how good our defence was Mark against Melbourne and Roosters, the team seemed pretty fit, including the forwards. Its always been one of Dezzies traits. I think our attack has struggled with a set defense and set plays, we seem to go the best with off loads and quick play the balls, Walker and DCE running it against a retreating defense. this might really work in our favor. Either way Im happy, game needed to change - was becoming boring and predictable!

Tommy will kill it. I was surprised at how good our defence was Mark against Melbourne and Roosters, the team seemed pretty fit, including the forwards. Its always been one of Dezzies traits. I think our attack has struggled with a set defense and set plays, we seem to go the best with off loads and quick play the balls, Walker and DCE running it against a retreating defense. this might really work in our favor. Either way Im happy, game needed to change - was becoming boring and predictable!

Both games have been really fast , let’s hope you are right as it’s the new “ norm “.

For a few weeks this will actually expose those who slackened off during the two months off. Hopefully Manly player's aren't among them.
One thing it will expose is the ploders. Way easy to shine at training, another thing to play at the intensity the way this game looks like it headed. I think we have a couple of boys that just won't cut it.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8