Robert Jennings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Roosters don't have rep players on the sideline mate. I think that your main point should be that players like Robertson, Le'strange, Bryant, and Hall came here for not much and played out of their skins and won themselves a premiership.

I saw a facebook memory of mine the other day. At that point we had 11 rep players.
My main point IS Roosters don't get these unwanted players from other clubs, who play out of their skin and win a premiership.
They have 15 with other players with more on the way like Radley who will need a decent upgrade and in the backs if you look at the 2019 roster, there has to be reps on the sidelines as they won't fit into the 17....my guess is Ryan Hall the English International.

Then explain why Souths were poor in 2017 and explosive in 2018 with the same roster?

Because they had a decent roster in 2017 but were poorly coached by a coach who had lost touch at the club. You could have answered your own question had you looked at the other side of the equation.

Also, how's Craig Bellamy going with three stars and a raft of potential every year?

Because they are not just potentials bought to the club in the hope they improve. They are targets brought for a very specific reason. Sometimes they don't work out and they are cut after 1 season. (Kasiano, Mr Plod, Tom Learoyd-Lars, Robbie Rochow) All the best players in the comp in their hey-day but not able to cut it so they are cut. They don't sign them up to multi year contracts in the hope they improve.

My main point IS Roosters don't get these unwanted players from other clubs, who play out of their skin and win a premiership.
They have 15 with other players with more on the way like Radley who will need a decent upgrade and in the backs if you look at the 2019 roster, there has to be reps on the sidelines as they won't fit into the 17....my guess is Ryan Hall the English International.
You would play has-been Morris over Ryan Hall?

Because they had a decent roster in 2017 but were poorly coached by a coach who had lost touch at the club. You could have answered your own question had you looked at the other side of the equation.
You are backing up what I am trying to say here. Often the roster is not the big problem many think it is. You just need a coach to get that roster playing well and all of the sudden it looks like a decent roster. Thanks!

Hidden potential is ****ing useless to everyone. He has a 1 year contract. Either perform or hit the road.
I agree but why is he dump-able now? He hasn't even been given a chance yet.

Was it hidden to all 3 or 4 previous clubs also ?
At the chooks he was going great till latrell came along and took his spot, and his confidence. Then injuries and poor clubs damaged his more recent seasons in my opinion, may be wrong. Knights, Titans both struggled all over the place during his time so couldn't really develop/re-find his mojo.

Everyone makes valid points guys (I'm talking about the debate on players here btw - steering well clear of the other stuff hehehe).

But when talking about players like Hall, Bryant, Robertson and others , think about the talent around them when they were injected into the team. They were surrounded by generational players.

Kite, Matai, Lyon, Stewart (1 & 2), Ballin, Ox, Choc, Menzies etc.

We aren't comparing apples with apples here.

There is no chance the transition for these guys, will be as simple. Assuming Walker is out:

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Brendan Elliott
04. Moses Suli
05. Reuben Garrick / Brad Parker
06. Kane Elgey
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

That's a long way from injecting say Garrick into the below:

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Steven Bell
05. David Williams
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Matt Orford

OR

01. Brett Stewart
02. Will Hopoate
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. Michael Robertson
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

We have (and let's be realistic / honest with ourselves here), 2nd and 3rd tier talent, trying to help more 2nd and 3rd tier talent develop in the toughest game in the world.

End of the day, we'll come good. It's just not going to happen in the next year or two, and I'm okay with that (would be MUCH more okay if I were wrong though hahaha)

Those line ups are pretty confronting @Ryan.

I’d take a 2019 DCE over a 2011 DCE or a 2008 Ox.

Other than that, the only player that would come close to making either of those sides is Tom, and you’d put him on the wing as Snake in his prime is still miles ahead as a FB.

At the chooks he was going great till latrell came along and took his spot, and his confidence. Then injuries and poor clubs damaged his more recent seasons in my opinion, may be wrong. Knights, Titans both struggled all over the place during his time so couldn't really develop/re-find his mojo.
I hope you're not wrong ,not expecting much personally ,but when he runs out in the Maroons I will be wishing him all the best and hoping he proves me wrong...

Those line ups are pretty confronting @Ryan.

I’d take a 2019 DCE over a 2011 DCE or a 2008 Ox.

Other than that, the only player that would come close to making either of those sides is Tom, and you’d put him on the wing as Snake in his prime is still miles ahead as a FB.
Here's the thing though...a lot of those players became legends after winning the premierships.

Kite was treading water at Saints, Matai would have been playing reserve grade at any other club in the early years of his career. DCE was considered a downgrade on Hodkinson, Foran a rookie and Robertson was a no frills Raiders cast off before becoming a GF hero.

It's perceptions. If we win another comp under Des, you can bet guys like Garrick, Elgey, Sironen and Koroisau will have taken their games to another level, just like the bulk of our 2008 GF winning side did. We look at that side "post premiership" and see superstars, but they were anything but superstars in 2004-2006.

Manly "s forward pack more then held there own and were quite competitive last season despite some negative game plans and no reason why they can not be more effective next season with some improved structure . Rep standard back line personal in naturally D C E , Tom and maybe still Walker if there is an acceptable outcome to his present issues . Just have to find the right mix and best performance based choices for the remaining back positions . Elgey , Jorge , Garrick , Suli , Elliot , Funa . Good chance to find the right competitive combinations out of that group and providing that the whole squad can lift their defending intensity up a few notches also critically .

You are backing up what I am trying to say here. Often the roster is not the big problem many think it is. You just need a coach to get that roster playing well and all of the sudden it looks like a decent roster. Thanks!
If you think our roster is strong enough to go from missing the 8 to top 4 in 12 months because of a coaching change then you need therapy.

Here's the thing though...a lot of those players became legends after winning the premierships.

Kite was treading water at Saints, Matai would have been playing reserve grade at any other club in the early years of his career. DCE was considered a downgrade on Hodkinson, Foran a rookie and Robertson was a no frills Raiders cast off before becoming a GF hero.

It's perceptions. If we win another comp under Des, you can bet guys like Garrick, Elgey, Sironen and Koroisau will have taken their games to another level, just like the bulk of our 2008 GF winning side did. We look at that side "post premiership" and see superstars, but they were anything but superstars in 2004-2006.
I think the biggest thing you have pointed out here though is that all of the blokes you have mentioned were hand picked by Des and Crusher. Dopey Trent has populated our roster with mediocrity. And has retained most of them. Like how the **** did blokes like Winterstein and Perrett get long term deals? They will perform or they will go because they aren't Des's picks so he won't be staking his reputation on them. He'll cast them out as Trents underperformers.

If you think our roster is strong enough to go from missing the 8 to top 4 in 12 months because of a coaching change then you need therapy.
I don't think that, so I am relieved I won't need therapy! @:)

However, I don't think we are in dire straits with the roster and we might scrape into the 8, who knows, maybe we will shock everyone and make the top 4. I don't know where we will finish up but I am of the opinion that we will build nicely over the next few years and it's not panic stations.

Merry Christmas Stevo!

No way.

Kite was well and truly a cut above. He was highly sought after.

Matai I agree with you.

Foran had huge warps all the way through, and was a step up from the competition.

Remember, none of these players were already tried at various.other clubs and failed.

They were sourced raw, developed and improved under the culture, and with a mass of quality around them.

Garrick, Elliott, Suli already had that opportunity at other clubs, and we're let go, sacked, cut, or languished in reserve grade (for whatever reasons).

Now, they come in, with lots more 2nd and 3rd tier talent around them, and people expect Des to have some magic wand.

Don't waste time arguing(you just end up rolling your eyes all the time),there are different opinions depending on whether people like a coach...If the club is successful,those who like the coach say it is the coach,those who don't like the coach say it is a great roster.If the side is performing poorly,those who like the coach say it is the roster,those who don't like the coach say it is the coaches fault.For me a good coach can get the best out of players,or play to their strengths.Yeah there is defensive gelling,players believing the coach knows what he is doing etc....Average coaches can succeed when they have high quality rosters whether that is from their doing or others recruiting for them.Hows that queensland centre going,any more news?

I think the biggest thing you have pointed out here though is that all of the blokes you have mentioned were hand picked by Des and Crusher. Dopey Trent has populated our roster with mediocrity. And has retained most of them. Like how the **** did blokes like Winterstein and Perrett get long term deals? They will perform or they will go because they aren't Des's picks so he won't be staking his reputation on them. He'll cast them out as Trents underperformers.
I thought the immortal manly legend organized this roster?Not having a go at Bozo,but history suggests he is good at spotting talent,maybe his powers have diminished.....

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8