Robert Jennings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
For mine. And I base this on wanting space to acquire 2-3 bigger named players next off-season.
To be honest, I'm writing off this coming season as a building year, and my expectations are super low.

The Keepers
Jade Anderson
Cade Cust
Manase Fainu
Tevita Funa
Albert Hopoate
Apisai Koroisou
Luke Metcalf
Taniela Paseka
Curtis Sironen
Kelepi Tanginoa
Joel Thompson (one year)
Corey Waddell
Dylan Walker

The Leavers

Lachlan Croker
Brendan Elliott
Reuben Garrick
Jack Gosiewski
Trent Hodkinson
Sean Keppie
Semisi Kioa
Haumole Olakau'atu
Brad Parker
Lloyd Perrett
Toafofoa Sipley
Moses Suli
Jorge Taufua
Frank Winterstein

For mine. And I base this on wanting space to acquire 2-3 bigger named players next off-season.
To be honest, I'm writing off this coming season as a building year, and my expectations are super low.

The Keepers
Jade Anderson
Cade Cust
Manase Fainu
Tevita Funa
Albert Hopoate
Apisai Koroisou
Luke Metcalf
Taniela Paseka
Curtis Sironen
Kelepi Tanginoa
Joel Thompson (one year)
Corey Waddell
Dylan Walker

The Leavers

Lachlan Croker
Brendan Elliott
Reuben Garrick
Jack Gosiewski
Trent Hodkinson
Sean Keppie
Semisi Kioa
Haumole Olakau'atu
Brad Parker
Lloyd Perrett
Toafofoa Sipley
Moses Suli
Jorge Taufua
Frank Winterstein

Pretty fair summary Ryan....just think Keppie and Garrick as youngsters deserve a shot to shine.....Suli under Hasler could
be a big improver and would expect him given a chance to show his potential....and there's a Massive backrower Olakau'atu
who could be anything imo, injured last season but this bloke could be a huge positive and if performs 2019, will be a long term
Manly player the next decade.

The Leavers
Lachlan Croker*
Brendan Elliott*
Reuben Garrick*
Jack Gosiewski*
Trent Hodkinson
Sean Keppie*
Semisi Kioa*
Haumole Olakau'atu*
Brad Parker
Lloyd Perrett
Toafofoa Sipley*
Moses Suli
Jorge Taufua
Frank Winterstein

I disagree with you on those players with *
How can you have made up your mind on these players without seeing how they perform this season?
In particular, Guaca Mole. He has huge potential, and it was injury last season that kept him from showing it.
I have not seen Elliott, Garrick, Keppie, Kioa play, and I'll be surprised if you are abreast of their talent.
Croker and Gossy deserve more time to shine. Sippers is definitely a keeper.
Suli? Unless he has a change of position, or diet, I'd have to agree with you.
Just my opinion.

Ryan lost the plot on that list!

Garrick, keppie, kioa, haumole, Shipley, suli,

All young and cheap players, need to be integrated into our club and system and persevere.

What on earth are you baseing these guys leaving on Ryan ?

Last edited:
Ryan lost the plot on that list!

Garrick, keppie, kioa, haumole, Shipley, suli,

All young and cheap players, need to be integrated into our club and system and persevere.

What on earth are you baseing these guys leaving on Ryan ?

Mainly, so we can acquire 2-3 quality players, rather than a raft of reserve grade talent hoping they develop, or succeed.

Basically, the way Des built it the first time around is my preference.

You know how rare it is that no names (and players that actually have already failed to cut the mustard at other clubs - Elliott, Garrick & others), actually then make it at another club at an appropriate level.

I get the kids we've pilfered off other teams because they are raw standouts in the lower grades, but none of these guys really are of that ilk. They are players looking for opportunity, based on our lack of depth.

Again, take Walker out of our backline, and list your 1-7, and explain to me how that will be competitive.

Also, I have 0 faith in our acquisition ability in the past 2-3 years. The one highlight (Kelly) is now gone. Thompson is great, but he has maybe 1-2 years before retirement, and is on good coin.

It's going to take Crusher / Des time to rebuild.

Then, while you're singing the praises of all these untested, or looking for oppiopporty types, consider this:

01. James Tedesco
02. Daniel Tupou
03. Latrell Mitchell
04. Joseph Manu / Mitchell Aubusson
05. Brett Morris / Ryan Hall
06. Luke Keary / Brock Lamb / Victor Radley
07. Cooper Cronk

THIS, guys is what we are facing next season, so while I hear names like Brendan Elliott, Reuben Garrick, Tevita Funa, Lachlan Croker, Jorge Taufua and Moses Suli, I do think there is cause for alarm.

Therefore, set the bar accordingly. Take the season as a building year. Enjoy it for what it is. We aren't going to compete with teams like Brisbane, Melbourne and The Chooks, no matter how rose coloured we are, and regardless of the fact our forwards are up there with the best in the league (in my opinion).

Mainly, so we can acquire 2-3 quality players, rather than a raft of reserve grade talent hoping they develop, or succeed.

Basically, the way Des built it the first time around is my preference.

You know how rare it is that no names (and players that actually have already failed to cut the mustard at other clubs - Elliott, Garrick & others), actually then make it at another club at an appropriate level.

I get the kids we've pilfered off other teams because they are raw standouts in the lower grades, but none of these guys really are of that ilk. They are players looking for opportunity, based on our lack of depth.

Again, take Walker out of our backline, and list your 1-7, and explain to me how that will be competitive.

Also, I have 0 faith in our acquisition ability in the past 2-3 years. The one highlight (Kelly) is now gone. Thompson is great, but he has maybe 1-2 years before retirement, and is on good coin.

It's going to take Crusher / Des time to rebuild.

Then, while you're singing the praises of all these untested, or looking for oppiopporty types, consider this:

01. James Tedesco
02. Daniel Tupou
03. Latrell Mitchell
04. Joseph Manu / Mitchell Aubusson
05. Brett Morris / Ryan Hall
06. Luke Keary / Brock Lamb / Victor Radley
07. Cooper Cronk

THIS, guys is what we are facing next season, so while I hear names like Brendan Elliott, Reuben Garrick, Tevita Funa, Lachlan Croker, Jorge Taufua and Moses Suli, I do think there is cause for alarm.

Therefore, set the bar accordingly. Take the season as a building year. Enjoy it for what it is. We aren't going to compete with teams like Brisbane, Melbourne and The Chooks, no matter how rose coloured we are, and regardless of the fact our forwards are up there with the best in the league (in my opinion).

Almost every team will struggle against that 1-7 and it gets worse looking at the 1-17....that happens against an unlimited salary cap.
I mean if Manly signed a world class winger like Ryan Hall the world would be screaming about how we afford him - yet will play reserve grade at Roosters with noone raising an eye brow....

The Keepers
Jade Anderson
Cade Cust
Manase Fainu
Tevita Funa
Albert Hopoate
Apisai Koroisou
Luke Metcalf
Taniela Paseka
Curtis Sironen
Kelepi Tanginoa
Joel Thompson (one year)
Corey Waddell
Dylan Walker

The Leavers

Lachlan Croker
Brendan Elliott
Reuben Garrick
Jack Gosiewski
Trent Hodkinson
Sean Keppie
Semisi Kioa
Haumole Olakau'atu
Brad Parker
Lloyd Perrett
Toafofoa Sipley
Moses Suli
Jorge Taufua
Frank Winterstein

I'm pretty much the same as you but i reckon Sironen will get shown the door if he doesn't have a really good year. Hasn't exactly set the world on fire. 1 more injury will do it i reckon.

I can't see Sean Keppie and Semise Kioa being shown the door though. Still young and developing. Depends what kind of year they have though.

With Jorge Taufua, he needs a massive year to stay i reckon. Another injury away from retirement i reckon. He just isn't the same player anymore.

Pretty sure Garrick and Elliot are on 1 year deals so their future depends entirely on them.

Lachlan Croker, Moses Suli, Tof Sipley and Jack Gosiewski all need massive years to be retained. I don't think any of them will prove me wrong though.

This is Trent Hodkinsons last year in the NRL for sure.

Lloyd Perrett and Frank Winterstein and just plain average and won't be here.

If people think that we can win a premiership on the back of waiting and hoping year after year that these cut price reserve graders and outcasts from other clubs are going to come good then we may as well get Trent back and play Perrett at Fullback.

IMO, unless you are a proven performer or an up and coming superstar, you are here on a 1 year (2 years at the absolute max) contract and if you don't perform within that timeframe then you are out.

Almost every team will struggle against that 1-7 and it gets worse looking at the 1-17....that happens against an unlimited salary cap.
I mean if Manly signed a world class winger like Ryan Hall the world would be screaming about how we afford him - yet will play reserve grade at Roosters with noone raising an eye brow....
Not so long ago people were asking these questions about Manly. Remember Steve Matai openly coming out and saying he stayed for a lot less to keep the team together. How many others did it? More than likely, Jamie Lyon, Brett and Glenn Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Matt Ballin, Brent Kite. Thats how you win premierships and thats how the Roosters do it. Players will take less to be successful.

Not so long ago people were asking these questions about Manly. Remember Steve Matai openly coming out and saying he stayed for a lot less to keep the team together. How many others did it? More than likely, Jamie Lyon, Brett and Glenn Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Matt Ballin, Brent Kite. Thats how you win premierships and thats how the Roosters do it. Players will take less to be successful.
100% agree mate - Menzies, Watmough, Stewarts and others stayed for far less.
The difference here Stevo, is the players City sign are not part of their culture and have are not staying for that bond been built like the players mentioned.
Tedesco, Cronk, Creighton are from clubs they have been for years....those Manly players built their career at Manly, which is a different picture imo.

This is a dumb thread now.

Cutting a raft of juniors with potential makes no sense for three reasons:

1 - they are in waiting, meaning they are on the cusp of being ready and therefore we don't know how good they could turn out to be yet...that's going off before acceptances

2 - every squad is made up 30 players so if you cut 10- 12 budget players to buy 3 good ones, tell me how we'll have a squad of 30 that fit under the cap?

3 - Every team (even the Roosters) have players on the fringe, it's impossible not to under the cap rules...it's not a tactic of the club to buy cut price players, cross their fingers and hope...it's the nature of the cap. We have DCE, Walker, Taupau and the Turbos on big coin and that's why our squad is not littered with 30 superstars, not because the club has a tactic to sign cutprice garbage to upset its members.

Where the club has gone wrong To an extent, is guys like Sipley, Perrett and Winterstein are on too much money as fringe players which is why they get shopped around. If they'd come good, the recruitment team would be the toast of the town but they haven't played their best football. It's important to remember that if they are cut, a player of the same calibre will be signed, not an international like we hope. It's all part of the perpetual cycle of filling a squad with depth.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8