Matt Ballin to replace Dan Ferris?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's a funny situation at the moment. Marty was definitely shopped around earlier in the year so it appears that Baz and Marty had issues with each other. I get the impression he wants out. However, McGuire is the NZ coach and if he ends up coaching at Manly, that could be our trump card for keeping Taupau...who knows?!

If McGuire ends up at Manly, I imagine Walker is long odds to stay put. I'm pretty sure he left Souths to get away from McGuire's hard nosed approach. In saying that, Walker is a bit older now and probably more mature. Maybe it could be a Griffin/Wallace situation where old fences are mended.

If we can't land McGuire and we end up with Cartwright, I can see Taupau walking and our roster will be pretty poor next year. If we land McGuire, I can see him restructuring our roster as he makes moves to build the type of team he wants; similar to the way that Bozo shipped players in and out when Barrett first took over.

I can see why McGuire would want to coach at Manly. The two Trbo's, DCE, Taupau, AFB and Koroisau (who played under Madge in a GF at Souths) are the nucleus of a strong roster. The sticking point will probably be coin.

In terms of Madge's coaching philosophy...I think structure is not the real problem. I think the bash and barge in attack and wrestle in D still works. All four teams left in the competition are the teams with the pack that wins the play-the-ball. However, McGuire is intense and I think Souths suffered a premiership hangover and the players just needed someone new to motivate them. I am basing this off the fact that the Burgess boys can hold the football now. That has nothing to do with structure. They were dropping it because their heads weren't in the game. They'd all grown mentally tired of the McGuire regime and needed a new dialogue.
Do you think maybe he's a bit Brian Smith Ish?
Good in the short term but has a use by date.
Wouldn't be a bad thing imo.

I was at the semi-final last night and both clubs looked a lot fitter, stronger and in better shape than our boys. I cannot understand how the club would let Moses Suli play FG when he is clearly 10kg overweight. I like Suli and think he can make an impact, but there is absolutely no way he is in the type of condition required to play FG football in the backline.
Add Taufua and Perrett to that list

Do you think maybe he's a bit Brian Smith Ish?
Good in the short term but has a use by date.
Wouldn't be a bad thing imo.
A worthwhile question but I don't think so.

He is better than Smith. I feel that the same problem would have surfaced at Souths regardless of who was coaching. You could argue Bellamy but the situation at Melbourne is a little different because they don't have the rich history and the lengthy premiership drought that Souths faced. Bellamy is obviously a genius and his players themselves drive a lot of the standards and expectations but they are out of the spotlight in Melbourne, going about their business with very little external pressure.

However, I think the Mcguire/Souths situation was unique in that they worked so hard to pick themselves up off the canvas and fight and fight and fight just to exist...to come back from extinction. Then they spend years building. They finally reached the holy grail after 43 long years. The coach was on a hiding to nothing after that. The drought was broken, mission accomplished! What do we do now? You also have to remember, they were thereabouts in the two years prior to finally winning it and they started 2015 with a bang before fading. I think they just got tired; mentally fatigued. Souths have a strong roster thanks to Rusty's deep pockets. Siebold is a fine coach but he also dangles a fresh carrot over the heads of those players...something they needed.

I spoke to Matty when he was down for the old boys round (where only 6 or 7 turned up @:rolleyes:) and told him how much I wanted him back and he said he would be up to it and all he needed was a call.....Donny Singe was with him and he also said he’d love to come back.

Maybe they’ll bypass Donny but if they’d do get Matty back, it’ll go a bit towards getting that Manly feel again and also give us someone with a passion for the club and who seems to know his stuff. It’s just not being Manly, we would want someone good in the job and he always seemed to have a good footy brain. I always enjoyed him on fox for his regular NRL spot a while back.

Now if we could just go a bit further and get Brent Kite down for a junior or NSW Cup coaching role and Jason King back into the club in Admin, we’ll have a lot of the old respected guys who helped with our strong culture of 10 years ago.

Then Tooves back as assistant coach and I’ll be very happy! :clap:

Add Taufua and Perrett to that list
Matt Wright progressively porked up throughout the year as well.

Just following them on Instagram and things, they are constantly on the piss, and smoking those Indian pipes into the early hours in a hoodlem type manner.

For mine, seeing that throughout the year, made me wonder how serious and committed they were.

If I had a chance to play professional footy, I'd knuckle down (you're only in it for 10-15 years), and stay clear of any toxins and my diet would be world class.

I don't begrudge them a good time, but habitually on the piss and smoke is a little too much.

But that's just my opinion.

One small step for Matty into the Manly coaching ranks
One Giant leap for the Manly Sea eagles winning culture
Matty has experienced and excelled in our decade of excellence .

To top it off he is also a good guy
FXT40583.jpg

We certainly remember his wholesomeness.:giggle:
View attachment 9630
And the fact that he's a Manly legend who played on with a broken leg, bled for our club and then walked the fence after every match.
Come back Matty.
Oh yes we certainly do remember :inlove:

and I haven't forgotten Matty coming around the fence after every game. He's Manly through and through and I'd welcome him back with open arms :party:

Thank you @Mitch for giving us some much needed hope :clap:

Why would the club need barrett's approval?
He should be treated like an amputated limb.
Bring back Matty!!!
Figureativly speaking Barrett is the Walking Dead , a rotting corpse shuffling thru the halls of brookvale oval waiting to be dispatched with a swift machete to the head he should have no input and no say as he has resigned effectively in july

Matt Wright progressively porked up throughout the year as well.

Just following them on Instagram and things, they are constantly on the piss, and smoking those Indian pipes into the early hours in a hoodlem type manner.

For mine, seeing that throughout the year, made me wonder how serious and committed they were.

If I had a chance to play professional footy, I'd knuckle down (you're only in it for 10-15 years), and stay clear of any toxins and my diet would be world class.

I don't begrudge them a good time, but habitually on the piss and smoke is a little too much.

But that's just my opinion.

Agree I couldn’t believe wright’s Condition when he came back into 1sts at the end of the year. I thought we had unearthed a new front rower

I spoke to Matty when he was down for the old boys round (where only 6 or 7 turned up @:rolleyes:) and told him how much I wanted him back and he said he would be up to it and all he needed was a call.....Donny Singe was with him and he also said he’d love to come back.

Maybe they’ll bypass Donny but if they’d do get Matty back, it’ll go a bit towards getting that Manly feel again and also give us someone with a passion for the club and who seems to know his stuff. It’s just not being Manly, we would want someone good in the job and he always seemed to have a good footy brain. I always enjoyed him on fox for his regular NRL spot a while back.

Now if we could just go a bit further and get Brent Kite down for a junior or NSW Cup coaching role and Jason King back into the club in Admin, we’ll have a lot of the old respected guys who helped with our strong culture of 10 years ago.

Then Tooves back as assistant coach and I’ll be very happy! :clap:
My mate is good mates with Kitey, and he said he would love to help out, and he would even do it for nothing, thats how much he still loves the place.Thats the people we need to surround the club with, people that still bleed Manly. To also add to this.The game the rorters flogged, us apparently Kitey wanted to get on the next plane down here to see if he could help in anyway. He didnt like what was happening down here at the club

Last edited:
At last Manly may have finally got a recruitment right if Ballin is signed as fitness and defence coach. Maybe a light at the end of the tunnel finally. But Manly desperately need two fast wingers. If Corey Oates is available, Manly should make a bid.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8