Matt Ballin to replace Dan Ferris?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hopefully the club is finally getting their ducks in a row. Although it is still weidler writing it.

I certainly hope the machinations that some are speaking about cryptically are falling into place

How about Glen Stewart coming back to work with the forwards. He would certainly be able to install some mongrel and ability to tackle to the death attitude.

He just finished playing down in Illawarra.

Matty is the epitome of wholesome :inlove:
We certainly remember his wholesomeness.:giggle:
644f9f347438b741a8bd7915613e09de.jpg

And the fact that he's a Manly legend who played on with a broken leg, bled for our club and then walked the fence after every match.
Come back Matty.

Strong chance that McGuire could be our coach for next year.

I like this in theory, he will bring the discipline and commitment we need. I just hope he loosens up his structures a bit, Souths played an unattractive bash and barge style that was affective, but I think you need more these days, we have some very instinctual players and we would need to strike a balance between madge-ball and the tendencies of our players.

Heard anything else snake? Tapau? Walker? New recruits?

Why would the club need barrett's approval?
He should be treated like an amputated limb.
Bring back Matty!!!
Yeah I'd love to see Barrett take the club to court for hiring support staff after he asked for more support staff...that's the part of the article that is fishy. Manly can bloody hire and fire whoever they want, they don't need Barrett to rubber stamp it. Remember when the Dogs sacked Crusher; Des wasn't consulted. It's not a breach of contract to hire people when you are the one paying them.

I like this in theory, he will bring the discipline and commitment we need. I just hope he loosens up his structures a bit, Souths played an unattractive bash and barge style that was affective, but I think you need more these days, we have some very instinctual players and we would need to strike a balance between madge-ball and the tendencies of our players.

Heard anything else snake? Tapau? Walker? New recruits?
It's a funny situation at the moment. Marty was definitely shopped around earlier in the year so it appears that Baz and Marty had issues with each other. I get the impression he wants out. However, McGuire is the NZ coach and if he ends up coaching at Manly, that could be our trump card for keeping Taupau...who knows?!

If McGuire ends up at Manly, I imagine Walker is long odds to stay put. I'm pretty sure he left Souths to get away from McGuire's hard nosed approach. In saying that, Walker is a bit older now and probably more mature. Maybe it could be a Griffin/Wallace situation where old fences are mended.

If we can't land McGuire and we end up with Cartwright, I can see Taupau walking and our roster will be pretty poor next year. If we land McGuire, I can see him restructuring our roster as he makes moves to build the type of team he wants; similar to the way that Bozo shipped players in and out when Barrett first took over.

I can see why McGuire would want to coach at Manly. The two Trbo's, DCE, Taupau, AFB and Koroisau (who played under Madge in a GF at Souths) are the nucleus of a strong roster. The sticking point will probably be coin.

In terms of Madge's coaching philosophy...I think structure is not the real problem. I think the bash and barge in attack and wrestle in D still works. All four teams left in the competition are the teams with the pack that wins the play-the-ball. However, McGuire is intense and I think Souths suffered a premiership hangover and the players just needed someone new to motivate them. I am basing this off the fact that the Burgess boys can hold the football now. That has nothing to do with structure. They were dropping it because their heads weren't in the game. They'd all grown mentally tired of the McGuire regime and needed a new dialogue.

Last edited:
It's a funny situation at the moment. Marty was definitely shopped around earlier in the year so it appears that Baz and Marty had issues with each other. I get the impression he wants out. However, McGuire is the NZ coach and if he ends up coaching at Manly, that could be our trump card for keeping Taupau...who knows?!

If McGuire ends up at Manly, I imagine Walker is long odds to stay put. I'm pretty sure he left Souths to get away from McGuire's hard nosed approach. In saying that, Walker is a bit older now and probably more mature. Maybe it could be a Griffin/Wallace situation where old fences are mended.

If we can't land McGuire and we end up with Cartwright, I can see Taupau walking and our roster will be pretty poor next year. If we land McGuire, I can see him restructuring our roster as he makes moves to build the type of team he wants; similar to the way that Bozo shipped players in and out when Barrett first took over.

I can see why McGuire would want to coach at Manly. The two Trbo's, DCE, Taupau, AFB and Koroisau (who played under Madge in a GF at Souths) are the nucleus of a strong roster. The sticking point will probably be coin.

In terms of Madge's coaching philosophy...I think structure is not the real problem. I think the bash and barge in attack and wrestle in D still works. All four teams left in the competition are the teams with the pack that wins the play-the-ball. However, McGuire is intense and I think Souths suffered a premiership hangover and the players just needed someone new to motivate them. I am basing this off the fact that the Burgess boys can hold the football now. That has nothing to do with structure. They were dropping it because their heads weren't in the game. They'd all grown mentally tired of the McGuire regime and needed a new dialogue.

Thanks for the insight as usual snake, sounds like change is afoot and it will be beyond dissapointing to end up with Cartwright from here.

Hope we don't lose walker, he is by far our best outside back and hopefully regains his confidence next season, he looked understandably tentative this year.

Any opinions on what line zorba is towing at present? Seems to have gone rogue?!

@Snake Manly sign Madge on Baz' rate then offer any Premiership Prize as a bonus to Madge. Win-win :nod:

Walks' mate overdosing may gave finally woken him up.
Plus he is a new Dad and his outlook would now include the welfare of his family :happy:

Last edited:
Ballin would be a great asset. I'm sure he's more than capable on the physical preparation front but where he would be invaluable is on the mental preparation side. Tough, focused, committed and calm under pressure as a player - all qualities this current side could do with improvement in. Let's hope it happens, be great to get some Manly spirit back in the place...... outside of Randall there isn't any is there ??

I’m surprised by it because I believe his wife has established her Physiotherapy set up recently in Brisbane - but I imagine it has legs as I highly doubt Weidler has just run with the story without some substance.
Weirdler is only one rung down the ladder of credibility from Rothtool, I wouldn't hang too much hope on this story although it does offer some hope for the future

Ballin would be a great asset. I'm sure he's more than capable on the physical preparation front but where he would be invaluable is on the mental preparation side. Tough, focused, committed and calm under pressure as a player - all qualities this current side could do with improvement in. Let's hope it happens, be great to get some Manly spirit back in the place...... outside of Randall there isn't any is there ??
Ballin is switched on. He has his act together and his wits about himself. He does not suffer fools lightly. He is exactly the type of influence we need around our club.

I was at the semi-final last night and both clubs looked a lot fitter, stronger and in better shape than our boys. I cannot understand how the club would let Moses Suli play FG when he is clearly 10kg overweight. I like Suli and think he can make an impact, but there is absolutely no way he is in the type of condition required to play FG football in the backline.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6