Game Day: Manly v Knights [Round01,2018]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Errors and penalties have been our biggest problems for at least three years, probably more. Seems like we've never learned that by controlling possession, you control the flow of the game. We always seem to make the game harder than it ought to be.
Totally nailed it Ron. Watch Thurston and Smith organising their sides and their team's IQ rises to the level of these leaders that are guiding their troops around the field.

Ummm - not much talk about the refereeing which I though was disgraceful.
First time I have ever seen a penalty given away tacking a player into touch trying to stop a try. That's the NRL in the refs ear - absolute bull****.
And don't get me started on the "no try".
I thought Manly looked great, but a bit rusty. I think Turbo and Croker will improve on that but I saw some nice structure today.

NYEagle (already pissed with the NRL and it's only round one )

Having been a passionate Sea Eagle fan for more then 40 years and an observer of this great forum for several years, tonight is the night when I just can’t help but vent.
I am sorry my first post is negative but the loss tonight was, for me, extremely disappointing.
To watch a team with so much talent that was/is so clearly superior in almost every aspect of the game, lose, to an admittedly gritty opposition, is more than frustrating.
If the team could find a way to consistently respect their opposition at all times throughout every game, (and catch a ball in the air) they would win the competition in a canter.
Tonight, every time we began to gain some momentum a player would either, throw a speculator which was invariably dropped or be just sloppy enough to give the referees a way to blow a soft penalty.
When you wear a Manly jersey you are judged by a different and harsher standard but that is how it shall always be.
If only this team could play a full 80 minutes of truly professional football none of that would ever matter.
Fire away .
CEGL

I don't think you could say the refs lost us the game, if Chez made that field goal it was ours. Don't get me wrong they were bad but we were in it until the end.

Having been a passionate Sea Eagle fan for more then 40 years and an observer of this great forum for several years, tonight is the night when I just can’t help but vent.
I am sorry my first post is negative but the loss tonight was, for me, extremely disappointing.
To watch a team with so much talent that was/is so clearly superior in almost every aspect of the game, lose, to an admittedly gritty opposition, is more than frustrating.
If the team could find a way to consistently respect their opposition at all times throughout every game, (and catch a ball in the air) they would win the competition in a canter.
Tonight, every time we began to gain some momentum a player would either, throw a speculator which was invariably dropped or be just sloppy enough to give the referees a way to blow a soft penalty.
When you wear a Manly jersey you are judged by a different and harsher standard but that is how it shall always be.
If only this team could play a full 80 minutes of truly professional football none of that would ever matter.
Fire away .
CEGL
Great first post that came straight from the heart !
I didn't see tonight's game but you have made some good points

Just Fock me dead, what might tonight’s score had been if we’d played the reining premiers rather than the the spooners. We have some seriously deluded fans on this site at the moment. We are a really poorly coached team.
Seriously mate?? Did they have the same wooden spooners team as last year?? I noticed a few changes. Did you.? It was always going to be a tough game in front of a parochial crowd and we didn't do ourselves any favours by gifting them the 2 points. Too many errors including from the great DCE tonight..I agree that the use of the interchange was questionable + matt Wright in centres but nothing to get your knickers in a knot.

Last edited:
I can't believe a first grade coach in this day and age with a all the gps and sport science available to them thinks playing a 17 man game with only 15 men is a good strategy.

I'll just say one more thing. @BOZO Brian Kelly was ducking sensational tonight. You can shut up about him. Find another whipping boy because that kid can seriously play.

Great first post that came straight from the heart !
I didn't see tonight's game but you have made some good points
Thanks Bozo. Your namesake is the reason my father would take me to Brookvale, Penrith Park, Cumberland Oval, North Sydney Oval, Endeavour Field, Henson Park, the Sydney Showground etc....just to see the Immortal cast his spell in the very early 70s. Great memories indeed.
To balance the ledger of my first post, there is so much to like about this current Manly team and I just want them to fulfil their potential by competing with the very best and all it will take is to play consistent professional football.
We all remember the 2008 grand final victory but not many recall that it was, what, 8-0 at halftime and still an arm wrestle. We bashed the Storm with hard professional football for 45-50 minutes and then the floodgates opened. That is all it will take with this team. The points will come but you must earn them through domination, not trick fast fix plays.
That’s it for me tonight but I will be back.
I am a Manly man.

Thanks Bozo. Your namesake is the reason my father would take me to Brookvale, Penrith Park, Cumberland Oval, North Sydney Oval, Endeavour Field, Henson Park, the Sydney Showground etc....just to see the Immortal cast his spell in the very early 70s. Great memories indeed.
To balance the ledger of my first post, there is so much to like about this current Manly team and I just want them to fulfil their potential by competing with the very best and all it will take is to play consistent professional football.
We all remember the 2008 grand final victory but not many recall that it was, what, 8-0 at halftime and still an arm wrestle. We bashed the Storm with hard professional football for 45-50 minutes and then the floodgates opened. That is all it will take with this team. The points will come but you must earn them through domination, not trick fast fix plays.
That’s it for me tonight but I will be back.
I am a Manly man.
Thank you for your great post . Take care

Its a work in progress guys. I saw enough positives tonight to say that 2018 will be a good year for the Sea Eagles. We lost tonight, and yes we should have won that one. It pisses me off that we didnt win, all things considered.

But what pisses me off even more is the whining and bitching, that inevitably follows after every loss. The usual suspects will jump up and down about how Barrett cant coach, player X is a dud, player Y is even worse etc

This will continue until we have a run of good wins, and the same critics will jump on the Sea Eagles bandwagon again, before inevitably jumping off, when we have a run of losses.

Yes guys, the run of good wins, and the run of losses will happen in 2018. Who really knows in what order? It will happen like night follows day, or day follows night. Its so bloody predictable that the process, and the posters themselves will continue to bore me with their bitter and vitriolic recurring inanities.

The eagles will make the finals in 2018. I saw enough tonight to make that prediction very confidently. Can we do any better? Only time will tell.

Rant over.

Ummm - not much talk about the refereeing which I though was disgraceful.
First time I have ever seen a penalty given away tacking a player into touch trying to stop a try. That's the NRL in the refs ear - absolute bull****.
And don't get me started on the "no try".
I thought Manly looked great, but a bit rusty. I think Turbo and Croker will improve on that but I saw some nice structure today.

NYEagle (already pissed with the NRL and it's only round one )
It’s all good though because the refereeing against Parra next weekend is bound to be fair & even.

Seriously mate?? Did they have the same wooden spooners team as last year?? I noticed a few changes. Did you.? It was always going to be a tough game in front of a parochial crowd and we didn't do ourselves any favours by gifting them the 2 points. Too many errors including from the great DCE tonight..I agree that the use of the interchange was questionable + matt Wright in centres but nothing to get your knickers in a knot.
Yes I noticed those changes. Those were the ones that would take half a season to develop combinations before they gelled. But then they don’t have a very good coach unlike us, do they?

I can't believe a first grade coach in this day and age with a all the gps and sport science available to them thinks playing a 17 man game with only 15 men is a good strategy.

I'll just say one more thing. @BOZO Brian Kelly was ducking sensational tonight. You can shut up about him. Find another whipping boy because that kid can seriously play.
I am glad for our sake he had a good game . Lets hope he has another good one next week .

Oh come on, it’s not acceptable around here to question the next super coach.

Just got home after 2hour 40 minute trip.

Had to endure some interesting Knights bogans screaming in my ear. I have no voice left and while I expected a win, I am not as disappointed as I expected.

The crowd was made up of say 20k vocal Knights fans - for our newbies it would have been an experience.

What i am pissed about is I go to the NRL site to watch the press conference and there is no sound for Manly.
Of course Knight works.....

Last edited:
FMD, I’ve only read the last 3 pages and anyone would think we were flogged by 40 points. It was bloody great game of footie and we only lost in golden point. I saw enough positives to come away thinking we have ourselves a great team who will definitely make a run for the finals. We may have lost but I was very proud of the effort.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8