Post-Game Discussion Manly v Cowboys [Round 15, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Cowboys
26 4 Pines Park
17 Jun 2022 18:00
80th minute

Match Stats

Dumb plays like that from DCE deserve nothing less than being dropped. It won’t happen but he should be dropped or taken out the back of JT stand and given a boot up the arse
We can only hope he doesn't back up from origin.

Seriously if he got his game management in order he would a very elite half back but until he does that not in the QLD setup i cant justify his pay.

Tonight just showed why we won't be winning any big end of season games while he is our number 7.

Ive repeated it ad nauseum but DCE just cannot deliver safe and effective passes.

He looks to pass it once he's run himself out of space with no kicking option and when he does he has to make decisions immediately, which means;

1) he spins around and gets tackled
2) he passes to someone flat-footed
3) he passes to someone whos got no time or space
4) the opposition tackle or interfere with the pass before he gets it away

Number 4 happened to secure the cowboys win but he also did 1-3 tonight and he does it close to every week. He can be an absolute handbrake on any backline play especially when we have fringe first graders like Harper and Saab there who need all the help they can get
Could not agree more. A very large percentage of DCE passes are last minute shovels after he has run himself sideways into a cul-de-sac. It's all hap hazard stuff...he is talented so it sometimes works butbits all super random.

He Ain't gonna change now though. I've given up waiting for him to change.

Anyone else notice that the SMH apparently didn’t have a reporter at the game? That’s the last two home games they haven’t covered.

Pathetic really. Apparently like the last seven minutes of that game.

Couldn't agree more.
Could not agree more. A very large percentage of DCE passes are last minute shovels after he has run himself sideways into a cul-de-sac. It's all hap hazard stuff...he is talented so it sometimes works butbits all super random.

He Ain't gonna change now though. I've given up waiting for him to change.
He will retire eventually. However I hope he never ends up as our coach.

DCE is shthouse seriously learn how to game manage, let Jake be our captain.
DCE was so slow in his actions and lost that game, no sense of urgency at all, hang ur head in shame 1.3million and you produce that sort of game, seriously do u care at all DCE???
Doesn't look like it from what i watched tonight, oh and ur kicks are nothing kicks, how does Des except this crap week after week.
No way jake, worst then 5 metre marty, 3 metre jake , if anyone was to be our captain , it should be Foz...

I noticed on the Robson try, Sipley and Olakau’atu walked when the bomb went up. They’re supposed to keep working there in case the ball lands in a Cowboys hands...it did and it meant Nanai had a free passage through a hole and was able to pass to Robson uncontested. That play alone, tells me that we thought we had it won.

I don’t think you can blame DCE for the loss. He wasn’t lacking composure or game management, he just got the ball knocked out his hands by a desperate Cowboy and that’s rugby league. You always hear people say you gotta keep playing footy in those situations and not go into your shell.

We can say the Cowboys last 3 tries were random....and they were....but so were most of ours.

A second kick, a dummy half run by Morgan Harper, a 3rd option kicker hookers Bomb, Crokers goal mouth scramble.

What was alarming tonight was how.disorganised we looked it general passing structure. Both sides really. Our effort was great for 70 mins but in attack we looked all over the place for large periods.

I feel like I’ve been saying the same thing for years.

So much dumb ****
Cherry is not the player he thinks he is, nor the player we need, what sort of captain saves themselves for origin rather than their club ?
Saab is a runner, not a footballer
We are not fit enough
Cherry and schuster will not work as halves together
Koula and olak will not amount to what they should with a clueless hack inside them

Did captain courageous fess up and take his lumps in the presser? I doubt he did he is painfully unaware of his shortcomings

Last edited:
In the first half, I thought DCE allowed the Cowboys back into the game with a couple of kicks early in sets. IMO, it would have been better to kick on the 5th & force the Cowboys to work the ball out from their own end. This tactic worked very well for the first 20 minutes. In the latter part of the game, DCE's game management was diabolical. The only solution I can see is to make Jake captain.

I think we lost a total of four short kickoffs. The Cowboys are very well drilled in this facet of the game. Surely, Des could spend more improving our expertise?

The Cowboys arrived at 4 Pines doubting if they could win. With this come from behind win, they will take away a lot of confidence which will help them in the games ahead.

I noticed on the Robson try, Sipley and Olakau’atu walked when the bomb went up. They’re supposed to keep working there in case the ball lands in a Cowboys hands...it did and it meant Nanai had a free passage through a hole and was able to pass to Robson uncontested. That play alone, tells me that we thought we had it won.

I don’t think you can blame DCE for the loss. He wasn’t lacking composure or game management, he just got the ball knocked out his hands by a desperate Cowboy and that’s rugby league. You always hear people say you gotta keep playing footy in those situations and not go into your shell.
He shouldn’t of been looking to pass the ball at all. He clearly has his hands out looking to pass. Only had to take the tackle.

You don’t think cherry looked like he was going through the motions? Failed to maintain or set the standards in gameplay or urgency as a captain should? Cramped his outside men, rendering them no where near as effective as we need them to be?

He is a hack for a large percentage of games, way to many to be paid that much or be our captain

The most costly instance of a lack of effort came when DCE put that long kick into the in goal with less than 10 to go, that held up on the dead ball line, yet Drinkwater was able to get out. From there they got a penalty and the rest is history…

oh we clocked off but last week when Foran fed the Big O early... he had a whale of a game... DCE does not play early... he needs to run the footy but at times like tonight he ran it way too much and didn't give O early ball.... very reminiscent of Schuster last week who did exactly the same thing. He certainly didn't take the reigns when we needed in that last 7 minutes and steer us home and a couple of his early 40/20 kicks were not close they looked like he was just kicking early and straight down their throats. He really stifled that right side attack tonight.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8