Post-Game Discussion Manly v Cowboys [Round 15, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Cowboys
26 4 Pines Park
17 Jun 2022 18:00
80th minute

Match Stats

Told you all we would lose and was ridiculed as usual

well suck it up!. I was correct once again and we are a dumb soft team, to let that happen in the last 10min is a disgrace and not Manly!!

Storm will pumped us too!

how about this flogs, if we beat the storm i’ll eat my hat and not comment on a thing for a week till the following game day

peace
I doubt you were ridiculed because you said we’d lose, it was probably the manner in which it was said - gonna get ****ing smashed...we’re ****ing pathetic, etc.

If you really aren’t a Manly supporter and enjoy trolling enough to be a constant presence on this forum, they’re doing wonderful things in mental institutions nowadays.

If you really are a Manly fan but despise us as much as it appears you do, again, they’re doing wonderful things in mental institutions nowadays.

I don’t get the rule. So you can pass to a player in an offside position as long as he’s 10 metres away? That doesn’t make sense. The cowboys player gets directly involved in the play and came from an offside position. The play needed to advance 10 metres before he could get involved.
10m combined (pass and run). The rule is designed to stop offside players influencing the contest for the kick. Robson didn’t influence the contest of the kick so play on, fair try.

Games that come to mind:
Vs Tigers 2020, up by 14 with 10 to go
Vs Penrith 2018
Vs Penrith 2016
I saw a stat pop up on Fox a couple of weeks ago and it was teams with most losses after leading by 12 or more. The Raiders were obviously first but Manly was equal 3rd.

We were the better team with DCE playing for 73 minutes. People forget his kicks that go us in good field position. It’s the last 7 minutes which is on the entire team not just 1 player.

Yes he may have dropped the ball for the last try but it was Drinkwater making a play on his hand. We were just too lazy in defence for their first 2 tries of the 3 tries. Should have defended much better.

They will bounce back next game against the Storm and go on a 2 to 4 game winning streak again. I’m still confident of a top 8 finish and we are travelling better than many expected us to.
This must be a leading contender for the most delusional post of the year. Love ya work.

This must be a leading contender for the most delusional post of the year. Love ya work.
I think it’s the most measured and sensible but when disappointed, the mob looks for a scapegoat.

OK, I don’t think we’ll bounce back against Storm or make the 8 but the rest of the post is pretty accurate IMO.

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
Going for glory. Like DCE’s desperate pass. Those missed 2 do come back to haunt, plus Garrick had an off night with conversions.
Not sure why people think it was a glory play. He was looking to hit Garrick who had space out the back and was just going to be a routine pass, not a hail Mary. There was still 5 minutes on the clock, not 30 seconds. We needed to keep playing footy at that point, the execution was just off.

One moment doesn’t determine a game when you leak 16 points in 4 minutes.

Don’t worry guys wait until team list Tuesday. Same 1-17 with Paseka inexplicably being left out for Taupau. Schuster left on the bench for a 30 year old who has signed with our arch rivals. Saab getting picked despite having no knowledge of how to play rugby league. And best of all our captain and halfback destroying all attacking (and defensive) structure we have! Can’t wait - in Des we trust!

I saw a stat pop up on Fox a couple of weeks ago and it was teams with most losses after leading by 12 or more. The Raiders were obviously first but Manly was equal 3rd.
Yeah I remember that. We tend to give up big leads at Brookvale. One time in 2010 we were up 22-6 with 15 left vs titans and lost 24-22. 2014 against Melbourne we were up 20-4 at halftime vs Melbourne in rd 1 and we lost 23-22 in golden point. Some really weird stuff happens at Brookie sometimes.

Yep schuster seems to have trouble getting into the game when coming off the bench. He needs to start in the back row and get fit.
Mate not sure rewarding the shoe for being over weight and out of form is the way to go.

A lot of factors suggest DESSIE might not be hard enough on this lot.

The slug needs dropping to ressies, what's stopping him going for a run in his own time, proving he can find his mark when passing.

Ponga has all the skills too, he wanted to play 6 as well. That lasted what 3 or 4 games. Unless DES fixes the slugs attitude his career at 6 will last just as long.

Yeah I remember that. We tend to give up big leads at Brookvale. One time in 2010 we were up 22-6 with 15 left vs titans and lost 24-22. 2014 against Melbourne we were up 20-4 at halftime vs Melbourne in rd 1 and we lost 23-22 in golden point. Some really weird stuff happens at Brookie sometimes.
Yeah you’re right. It’s odd because it’s traditionally a fortress. Occasionally, we forget and leave the moat down for intruders.

Last edited:
Mate not sure rewarding the shoe for being over weight and out of form is the way to go.

A lot of factors suggest DESSIE might not be hard enough on this lot.

The slug needs dropping to ressies, what's stopping him going for a run in his own time, proving he can find his mark when passing.

Ponga has all the skills too, he wanted to play 6 as well. That lasted what 3 or 4 games. Unless DES fixes the slugs attitude his career at 6 will last just as long.
I can cop the errors and the learning from Schu because that comes with the position...but poor fitness is entirely attitude and easily fixed...I can’t cop that. He needs to get fit before he can be excused for errors.

Didn't watch the game so my comments are based on the stats and result.

Disappointing, but Manly just came within a whisker of defeating a top 3 side I'm sure we can blame some players for the loss...that's easy. But the point is that the team showed they are getting better after a difficult first half of the comp. And they almost beat this side without Turbo, which is most encouraging. The points I would suspect the coach will be looking at primarily will be the missed tackles. Four times more missed tackles than the Cows. And there is a suggestion of fitness issues if a side lets in several tries at the end. That's not one player's fault. DCE may have had a shocker. I cant comment though its interesting that he was easily the highest Fantasy Coach winner in the side which is based on overall involvement, with 30 tackles and one missed tackle only exceeded by three of our forwards. Yes he may have tactically erred, but its important to recall he has won us many games. Schuster isn't fit and needs more game time. We may not get a better hooker than Croker even if Fainu becomes available. All in all a most encouraging performance. As I felt before Manly will be a tougher proposition in the second half of this comp. Wont win it but building to a side in 2023 that could challenge.

I just hope that game hasn't knocked their confidence down and go on a losing streak. They worked so hard to get that lead and hopefully they will learn they need to keep it going for 80 minutes. Next few games will be telling 🤔

I just hope that game hasn't knocked their confidence down and go on a losing streak. They worked so hard to get that lead and hopefully they will learn they need to keep it going for 80 minutes. Next few games will be telling 🤔
That’s just it. Losing in that fashion, negates any positives from competing for 73 minutes. The hit to the confidence cannot be understated. Look at Canberra. It’s years of choking. The Dragons used to do it. It can have serious long term scars. To think that we’ll turn up and give Melbourne a run, based off last night’s strong showing for 73 minutes, is a fallacy.

We almost knocked the Eels off and came out the following week and were thumped by a Storm side that were well below their best. Getting close has never been a mark of success for the following week. If anything, there is usually a mental and physical hangover.

Truly gut wrenching loss and really should have had it . Had the Cowboys covered for the good part of the game with really good defence and generally good tactics , just when the Cows switched to all out attacking and wide spread footy sadly make the difference then . Manly just couldn 't adjust . Couldn "t fault the effort and intent of Manly but just not being able to go with the Cows in that vital final stage Would have been good with more time with Walker out there and Schuster came on way too late . Think that a bit more mobility is needed in the ruck area , good to have big but less agile men to a point but the game has different requirements these days . Maybe better to bring on guys like Bullemor and Burbo into the mix . Cowboys are far from a big pack but very fit and mobile Foz and Froggy were outstanding but wouldn 't be so harsh on D C E, still had a pretty fair game , a couple of wrong options but not the reason for a devastating loss . Just a combination of factors , some bad luck but at least the side showed that they can match it with a current top four side

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8