Post-Game Discussion Manly v Cowboys [Round 15, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Cowboys
26 4 Pines Park
17 Jun 2022 18:00
80th minute

Match Stats

He has a fully developed brain, unlike the younger players whose capacity to reason and analyze a situation is still a work in progress. I wish he would use it more often.

Let's talk about team selections and the use of interchanges.... To my way of thinking:
  • If Tent is fit he should be in the 17, at the expense of Keppie or Kapow
  • The Shoe was wasted last night. I'm not sure if DESpicable would have even used him; it was only Foran getting a HIA that forced his hand.
  • We have to get The Shoe into the starting line up. Here's a left-field option: Play DCE at lock and The Shoe at 5/8 and Foran at half. Jurbo to move to his natural position of prop. I'm sure DCE would make a good lock as his speed dwindles. He is a strong defender, and when Foran and The Shoe have been paired our attack looks more co-hesive.
Yeah , definitely Tent back A S A P . As mobile and effective [ well almost ] as Alioia and certainly would have been handy in the game last night

He's our highest paid player getting a reported 1.3M per year.
He's our most experienced player in terms of games played.
He's our captain.
The expectation is that he manages that situation to victory.
He got the ball from the scrum on the first tackle, held the ball out in front of him and gave the opportunity for it to be knocked down. I would consider this stupid and having contempt for the situation. Which happens to be the Oxford definition for FW.
Agree with many of you points. I thought it was 1.2 not .3 but yes it's a ****load.
It's a fast flowing game and with two teams desperate to win many things can happen.
I have a different dictionary, and world to you obviously. In my world there are many definitions that constitute a FW but a footy player that gets the ball knocked out of his arms isn't one of them.
You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.
I'm out of this now.
Have a great day.
Go Manly!

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
As the dust settles I'd say Manly's stocks have actually risen after last nights win, although not on the ladder. Manly came within an ace of beating a top side and it would have been a significant upset, as Cows were strong favourites and had to play great footy to snatch the win.

As the dust settles I'd say Manly's stocks have actually risen after last nights win, although not on the ladder. Manly came within an ace of beating a top side and it would have been a significant upset, as Cows were strong favourites and had to play great footy to snatch the win.
On watching the last 10 mins again, it was 3 defining moments that led to the collapse.

1. The most defining of all, letting the fullback out of his ingoal when he should have been kept in.

2. The leg up penalty after letting the cowboy player out of his ingoal

3. The video refs overturned try decision. How he could conclusively say he ran 10m is a joke.

It all unravelled after that.

Captain Daly Cherry-Evans (press conference): “For that last bit, they just obviously played a real style of footy that gave themselves a chance to win and we allowed that to happen … We’re disappointed in the part that we played in that.”

Translation: “We fell asleep at the wheel.”

If DCE kept running straight after getting that scrum pass last night like he did against NSW, he no doubt gets tackled but Manly also probably get the usual six again call that refs give from every scrum. Instead he runs at right angles to the try line and game over.

Not that anyone will care, but the Cows back row including Holmes was completely out of the scrum and on the move before Manly picked the ball up at the base of the scrum. Manly aren't NSW so no one will complain.

I can't take a screenshot, but look at 3:47 in this video and see the Cows scrum already broken up, plus the Cows backs inside 10m from the back of the scrum. When DCE gets smashed and looses the ball, it should be a full penalty to Manly.

If DCE kept running straight after getting that scrum pass last night like he did against NSW, he no doubt gets tackled but Manly also probably get the usual six again call that refs give from every scrum. Instead he runs at right angles to the try line and game over.

Not that anyone will care, but the Cows back row including Holmes was completely out of the scrum and on the move before Manly picked the ball up at the base of the scrum. Manly aren't NSW so no one will complain.

I can't take a screenshot, but look at 3:47 in this video and see the Cows scrum already broken up, plus the Cows backs inside 10m from the back of the scrum. When DCE gets smashed and looses the ball, it should be a full penalty to Manly.

It goes without saying BK, in situations like this the Ref will always favour the team that's losing, they like to see close finishes. All Evans had to do was ruck it up the middle, why the fark is he ball playing what a dumb f.., then another 3 more rucks up the middle. 5th tackle, little grubber in the in goal, drop out to them, if they get it back, no worries we have a set defence anyway. probably no more than 2min left. Game to us. So pissed off....worst defeat by far.

There are usually two types of losses: ones that increase your knowledge on how to win, and ones that compound the misdirection.

I'm hoping that last night was the former.

The pain of the 2007 GF (coupled with the illegal knockout of Snake) set the platform for the annihilation of the Storm in 2008.

If last nights tape doesn't become a textbook object lesson in the need to stay switched on for 80 minutes forever more for every Manly player / every Manly team, I'll be very surprised.

So hard to watch BK, Croker didn't deserve to be on the losing side on Friday night. Hope Evans personally apologized to Crocker. Evans head all game was probably on who's playing for Qld, is my seat on the plane a window seat, better be in business class, don't want to over do it, playing next Sunday night only a week break instead of 10 days.

yes the breaking from the scrum is questionable but what is not questionable is Garrick not challenging Nanai on that bomb... he was coming across - a sprint to where the ball was dropping and a contest or at worst a wait for him to catch and then crunch him stops that dead or at least in a contest ensures it is 50/50. Garrick's responsibility totally. Then on the long distance Holmes try... Saab has absolutely no idea on how to use the sideline as a defender and in cover defending... he ends up in front of Holmes and misses the tackle. He needed to slow down a bit pin Holmes to the sideline and come in from behind and to the side and drive him into touch. The very easiest tackle of all because it takes absolutely no heart at all - you dont have to be man o man...it just takes intelligence and timing. Most of today's players have no idea on how to use the sideline as an extra defender. A terrible terrible effort for as I say the easiest tackle in the game given you are coming from behind and have the sideline as your best friend..... and in Saab's case you are the fastest man on the field and have him for speed easily... as evidenced by Saab over running him and getting in front of him. The DCE blunder was terrible and unforgivable from the skipper but Garrick not taking charge of the air back there and then Saab's woeful effort certainly were big part's of the disastrous ending.

I’ll take your word for it @Brissie Kid . I can’t bring myself to watch that train wreck footage ever again.

There are usually two types of losses: ones that increase your knowledge on how to win, and ones that compound the misdirection.

I'm hoping that last night was the former.

The pain of the 2007 GF (coupled with the illegal knockout of Snake) set the platform for the annihilation of the Storm in 2008.

If last nights tape doesn't become a textbook object lesson in the need to stay switched on for 80 minutes forever more for every Manly player / every Manly team, I'll be very surprised.
"stay switched on" ....Would of taken the last 7min tbh.

Not sure why people think it was a glory play. He was looking to hit Garrick who had space out the back and was just going to be a routine pass, not a hail Mary. There was still 5 minutes on the clock, not 30 seconds. We needed to keep playing footy at that point, the execution was just off.

One moment doesn’t determine a game when you leak 16 points in 4 minutes.
The context was going for glory when turning down taking the easy 2, instead going for a try. Would have at least been golden point if we took the kick.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6