Post-Game Discussion Manly v Cowboys [Round 15, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Cowboys
26 4 Pines Park
17 Jun 2022 18:00
80th minute

Match Stats

I haven't read others' comments, and obviously all Manly fans massively disappointed we couldn't close out that game - but fwiw it was a great game.

Manly played extremely well and Cows showed why this year they are a genuine premiership threat.

I'll count that along with the Bunny and Eel games as ones we shoulda/coulda, which isn't much consolation in the context of chasing a top 4 spot.

But (lol, 'but') this Manly side is showing they can still play footy without the games best player. Des's biggest job now might be to make sure the players ignore the ladder and just take each game as it comes.

Oh yeah, and I am not among those who heap blame for the loss on one or two individuals. Yes Manly needs to improve some areas, to turn a game like that into a win, but Manly did play well. We actualy did enough to win, but in the end so did the Cows.

I expect neutral fans would have found it a top game to watch.

Didn't watch the game so my comments are based on the stats and result.

Disappointing, but Manly just came within a whisker of defeating a top 3 side I'm sure we can blame some players for the loss...that's easy. But the point is that the team showed they are getting better after a difficult first half of the comp. And they almost beat this side without Turbo, which is most encouraging. The points I would suspect the coach will be looking at primarily will be the missed tackles. Four times more missed tackles than the Cows. And there is a suggestion of fitness issues if a side lets in several tries at the end. That's not one player's fault. DCE may have had a shocker. I cant comment though its interesting that he was easily the highest Fantasy Coach winner in the side which is based on overall involvement, with 30 tackles and one missed tackle only exceeded by three of our forwards. Yes he may have tactically erred, but its important to recall he has won us many games. Schuster isn't fit and needs more game time. We may not get a better hooker than Croker even if Fainu becomes available. All in all a most encouraging performance. As I felt before Manly will be a tougher proposition in the second half of this comp. Wont win it but building to a side in 2023 that could challenge.
We defended really well and have made the least missed tackles of all 16 teams in the NRL this year. We kept them pinned in their own half and limited them to 12 points for 73 minutes and both their tries at that stage were from kicks.

Then we clocked off.

They scored another try off a kick and scooped up a knock on and scored.

The only try the Cows scored from a line break was the Lemuelu try and it was at a stage when we clocked off and they started playing Harlem globetrotters stuff.

I haven't read others' comments, and obviously all Manly fans massively disappointed we couldn't close out that game - but fwiw it was a great game.

Manly played extremely well and Cows showed why this year they are a genuine premiership threat.

I'll count that along with the Bunny and Eel games as ones we shoulda/coulda, which isn't much consolation in the context of chasing a top 4 spot.

But (lol, 'but') this Manly side is showing they can still play footy without the games best player. Des's biggest job now might be to make sure the players ignore the ladder and just take each game as it comes.

Oh yeah, and I am not among those who heap blame for the loss on one or two individuals. Yes Manly needs to improve some areas, to turn a game like that into a win, but Manly did play well. We actualy did enough to win, but in the end so did the Cows.

I expect neutral fans would have found it a top game to watch.
It was enjoyable for 73 minutes

We did enough to win, did enough to lose and still dammit I want to see that first try for the cows reviewed. How kick chase was not offside has me scratchin me noggin (oh and the "run 10m" bunker review....possible that I don't understand that rule, but it was only 3 or 4 at most)

I doubt you were ridiculed because you said we’d lose, it was probably the manner in which it was said - gonna get ****ing smashed...we’re ****ing pathetic, etc.

If you really aren’t a Manly supporter and enjoy trolling enough to be a constant presence on this forum, they’re doing wonderful things in mental institutions nowadays.

If you really are a Manly fan but despise us as much as it appears you do, again, they’re doing wonderful things in mental institutions nowadays.
He is now on Block along with a few others

Last edited by a moderator:
That was our chance to get rid of the ‘flat track bullies’ label. At least we showed up to a top 3 team unlike last yr and previous games where we leg them walk all over us.
Croker was great and deserved (I’m not sure if he got it) man of the match.
We need to continue contesting our kicks and Saab needs to start contesting more.
Schuster should start over Davey, Daveys decent in defence and has some good runs in attack, we started off great last night but having that extra spark right for the get go would be good.

We defended really well and have made the least missed tackles of all 16 teams in the NRL this year. We kept them pinned in their own half and limited them to 12 points for 73 minutes and both their tries at that stage were from kicks.

Then we clocked off.

They scored another try off a kick and scooped up a knock on and scored.

The only try the Cows scored from a line break was the Lemuelu try and it was at a stage when we clocked off and they started playing Harlem globetrotters stuff.
Seriously... we were absolute super high quality all game aside from 3 and a half minutes of great attack from the Cowboys... and some terrible decision making by our guys and a couple of poor skill errors that coincided with that throw the ball around mentality. No doubt we should have won... but should have could have doesn't get the two points. Anyone though dissing this performance is kidding... in the end a bit of a perfect storm for 3 minutes did us in...

Devastating loss, for 73 minutes we played a cracker of a game with a few frustrations, with 5 to go that gut wrenching feeling we were going to lose the unlosable came to "pass"

Thats all I got, emotionally drained, I imagine some, hopefully all of the players feel 100 x worse.
Now fix the fking thing and come out firing next game, that's how you respond, take that devestation and learn from it, that's what I expect from now on in, nothing less.

Reality is we are dumb, so probably won't learn.

Morning reflections after such a deflating loss:
*disclaimer my opinions only - so to armed and dangerous, please don't shoot me for having an opinion.
Up until the disastrous final 7 it was the best competitive attitude I've seen from Manly all year.
Some of the cows tries could have gone either way, 50/50, but that's footy and we have to accept that.
DCE was always going to be blamed if we lost this game after two wins on the trot without him.
I hope Rueben Garrick plays his career out at Manly.
Lachlan Croker has got to be one the most improved players in the NRL.
St George who have had the same amount of wins as Manly and have a worse F/A are in the 8 solely because they have had their Bye. All is not lost.
We're a long way off being title contenders but let's take this week by week.
Go Manly!

Seriously... we were absolute super high quality all game aside from 3 and a half minutes of great attack from the Cowboys... and some terrible decision making by our guys and a couple of poor skill errors that coincided with that throw the ball around mentality. No doubt we should have won... but should have could have doesn't get the two points. Anyone though dissing this performance is kidding... in the end a bit of a perfect storm for 3 minutes did us in...
Agree. You only have to look at how often a team loses when ahead by 14 with 7 to go and how often a team scores 3 tries in 3 and half minutes, to know that a perfect storm has occurred.

One bit of luck goes our way and we celebrate last night. Even the Lemuelu try, as good as it was, had luck involved. The lead up saw Hiku collected in a really strong tackle and Foran was bringing him to ground and he popped a desperate offload onto the ground and a Cowboy picked it up...if that lands in our lap, game over.

Agree. You only have to look at how often a team loses when ahead by 14 with 7 to go and how often a team scores 3 tries in 3 and half minutes, to know that a perfect storm has occurred.

One bit of luck goes our way and we celebrate last night. Even the Lemuelu try, as good as it was, had luck involved. The lead up saw Hiku collected in a really strong tackle and Foran was bringing him to ground and he popped a desperate offload onto the ground and a Cowboy picked it up...if that lands in our lap, game over.
yes exactly and I am absolutely sure that Hess was offside with that first bomb they never went back and looked at that either. Plus Garrick needed to step up and attack those bombs landing on Davey and Haumole.. that is his job... he is doing a wonderful job as Turbo's replacement but he really needed to be the man to challenge Nanai each time and at least make Nanai really earn it. Anyway - while I smashed my TV and slashed my wrists - they showed me they are certainly a semi final side.

*disclaimer my opinions only - so to armed and dangerous, please don't shoot me for having an opinion.
Up until the disastrous final 7 it was the best competitive attitude I've seen from Manly all year.
Some of the cows tries could have gone either way, 50/50, but that's footy and we have to accept that.
DCE was always going to be blamed if we lost this game after two wins on the trot without him.
St George who have had the same amount of wins as Manly and have a worse F/A are in the 8 solely because they have had their Bye. All is not lost.
Go Manly!
Agreed - we were very very good and the better side for 76 minutes and 30 seconds... it really is that simple.

Go Manly!
Could have gone 50/50 as in Coen Hess was offside in the first and Reece Robson was offside in the third?
Im interested in why Koula try was disallowed given there was a clear rake and Olakauatu knocked back...
in a 2 point game to have 18 point turnaround from bunker error is a bit hard to cop. Also DCE being a ****wit at the end is also hard to cop given the coin he is on.

Could have gone 50/50 as in Coen Hess was offside in the first and Reece Robson was offside in the third?
Im interested in why Koula try was disallowed given there was a clear rake and Olakauatu knocked back...
in a 2 point game to have 18 point turnaround from bunker error is a bit hard to cop. Also DCE being a ****wit at the end is also hard to cop given the coin he is on.
DCE being a FW as in have a pass knocked down by a cow? - harsh.
Agree on the questionable tries. Sometimes it seems it just all part of being a Manly supporter.

Last edited:
DCE being an FW as in have a passed knocked down by a cow? - harsh.
Agree on the questionable tries. Sometimes it seems it just all part of being a Manly supporter.
He's our highest paid player getting a reported 1.3M per year.
He's our most experienced player in terms of games played.
He's our captain.
The expectation is that he manages that situation to victory.
He got the ball from the scrum on the first tackle, held the ball out in front of him and gave the opportunity for it to be knocked down. I would consider this stupid and having contempt for the situation. Which happens to be the Oxford definition for FW.

Let's talk about team selections and the use of interchanges.... To my way of thinking:
  • If Tent is fit he should be in the 17, at the expense of Keppie or Kapow
  • The Shoe was wasted last night. I'm not sure if DESpicable would have even used him; it was only Foran getting a HIA that forced his hand.
  • We have to get The Shoe into the starting line up. Here's a left-field option: Play DCE at lock and The Shoe at 5/8 and Foran at half. Jurbo to move to his natural position of prop. I'm sure DCE would make a good lock as his speed dwindles. He is a strong defender, and when Foran and The Shoe have been paired our attack looks more co-hesive.

I thought we looked at our most dangerous last night with Foran and DCE on the same side of the field (always left, for whatever reason).

I'd like to see them link up on the right side and actually utilise our better edge of Olakau'atu and Koula.

DCE being an FW as in have a passed knocked down by a cow? - harsh.
It’s not harsh mate, I’m not blaming the loss on him, but you have to be fair dinkum, his a senior player, our Captain and supposed game manager, we were in front with 5 to go, we had our good luck moment off the kick off, ball security and game management was what was required, you don’t look to attack play 1 in that situation, chasing points I’d get it, all we had to do (and it sounds simple was hold the ball work down for a shot at a set restart) I’m as shattered as every one else and was pleased with our effort, I hope we can learn what’s required to win from last night and not fall into the trap of dropping our heads.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8