Manase D Day

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The evidence being presented gets muddier and muddier ( although we are only being given snippets of course ).

You’d have to think the jury would be getting very mixed feelings at present.

The evidence being presented gets muddier and muddier ( although we are only being given snippets of course ).

You’d have to think the jury would be getting very mixed feelings at present.

My (limited) experience is the judge will tell them in a round about sort of way what the verdict should be.

Also the defense has to really sell the case because most juruors are law abiding citizens who are on the police side by way of their nature, of course you always get one jury panel member who thinks he is Perry Mason.

This sentence in the court report from AAP has me perplexed: After a volunteer security guard ushered Fainu and his friends off the dance floor and outside, they later allegedly returned to the car park outside the church to start a brawl.
If accurate, what relevance is the sign-in sheet (as detailed in the above report)? If it has been agreed that Fainu was at the dance then the issue of the sheet having someone with a similar name is a red herring, isn't it?
This report is from Australian Associated Press which media use when they don't have one of their own representatives covering a case. It may be that News Ltd and Fairfax don't think the case important enough to have a journalist in court every day. Often they will leave it to the final summations, and, of course, the verdict to send their own journos along.
It would surprise me if the Telegraph wasn't vitally interested in this case as the verdict has the potential to have huge ramifications for the NRL. And we all know that the Tele thrives on stories about rugby league.

100% he gets off even if he did it , there is reasonable doubt.

My recent experience was they hired a top city barrister who told them he would get him off all charges and then they would then sue the police for time served. Case looked a forgone conclusion with weak case and lots of police stuff ups.

Guilty verdict handed down best result when sentencing is handed down - 8 years in jail.

I know its vague but i don't want to say too much, but once in the system it can swallow up.

May justice be served is the best we can hope for.

PS I can also advise from my own jury experience the police case must be solid or the judge would of allowed the jury to reach a not guilty verdict before hearing the defence.

My (limited) experience is the judge will tell them in a round about sort of way what the verdict should be.

Also the defense has to really sell the case because most juruors are law abiding citizens who are on the police side by way of their nature, of course you always get one jury panel member who thinks he is Perry Mason.
I was on a jury once , an assault occasioning bodily harm ( or something like that ).

It was as clear as Crystal water that the guy was guilty BUT we had a Catholic priest on the panel and the accused was Catholic and there was no way he was voting with the rest of us so we were dismissed ( may not be the correct terminology but that’ll do), with it then being a no result.

The subsequent jury convicted him in 20 minutes.

These were before the days of DNA etc , late 70’s.

So anything can happen.

Mate, so far I'd be surprised if it took them minutes…
I know what you mean but the fact remains that the NRL certainly didn’t have all the details presented to them a couple days after charges were laid…they simply stood him down under their mandatory rules. They never sat down and took a deep dive into all the details and questioned police and witnesses, etc. before deciding.

It would have had to be an automatic stand down. Surely the NRL doesn't have a right to be given a look at evidence?
PV may be powerful but I don't think even he has that much influence over the laws of the land.
It wasnt PVL anyway it was serial Manly hater Turd Greenkhunt, so if there was a no fault to be handed down he 'was always going to do it regardless of any evidence he was privy too .
I have wondered what motivated Manase to go to the police in the 1st place ?

Just playing devil's advocate here - is it possible when the witness made his original statement he didn't know Fainu was an NRL player but found out later, before making his second statement?

As in "a man who I now know to be Manase Fainu..."?
From what I've read this Tony Quach bloke originally told the police on the night that he didn't know who did the stabbing and now he's saying it's Fainu, surely that would disqualify him as a reliable witness, and if the cops knew this then why on earth did they proceed to trial, this is apparently their only witness

He's just had major shoulder surgery, huge NRL future ahead ,hanging out with dubious gang mates who appeared intent on causing a stir at a church social dance. Someone ends up getting stabbed. Has had prior issues with filming a sex act and posting it without consent to social media.
Call me a wowser but shouldn't you be home resting ,rehabing or just keeping away from possible trouble instead of hanging out with gang mates who weren't there to bring a plate.
These young blokes all think they're gangsta's

The other issue amongst all of this is that we need to remember that the NRL were given access to the evidence before they imposed their "Stand down" rule. So they believed it was justified to not let Manase play based on the facts we have so far seen. Isn't that also extremely poor judgment on their part? Or do I have it wrong and their decision was simply an automatic ruling based on their newly incorporated system?
Was Greenberg still CEO at the time of this happening?

WOW what stellar detective work to not even think of checking the sign in register for the event. Obviously if you are being accused of being at the evnt you are made to sign in are you not. Fu*k me dead I hope I never get caught up in something requiring a detective to save my arse if that's the example.
I've always believed that the bar is set pretty low for admission into the police force, apologies to any of my fellow Silvertailers who may be police, clearly you were the exception not the rule👍

This sentence in the court report from AAP has me perplexed: After a volunteer security guard ushered Fainu and his friends off the dance floor and outside, they later allegedly returned to the car park outside the church to start a brawl.
If accurate, what relevance is the sign-in sheet (as detailed in the above report)? If it has been agreed that Fainu was at the dance then the issue of the sheet having someone with a similar name is a red herring, isn't it?
This report is from Australian Associated Press which media use when they don't have one of their own representatives covering a case. It may be that News Ltd and Fairfax don't think the case important enough to have a journalist in court every day. Often they will leave it to the final summations, and, of course, the verdict to send their own journos along.
It would surprise me if the Telegraph wasn't vitally interested in this case as the verdict has the potential to have huge ramifications for the NRL. And we all know that the Tele thrives on stories about rugby league.
I would say this is a clear message to the Jury that the investigation has been very poor and lacking in detail.

If you have 1 witness statement that has changed from the night of the incident to now and you have a list available to you of another 200 people that were at the scene of the incident wouldn’t crime scene investigation 101 be to contact those people and ask them what they saw on the night?

I think it's simply designed to show the police did not make a thorough investigation or pursue all avenues. I know a big deal was made about police incompetence in the de Belin case, so Manase's barrister is probably just following through on that.

But yeah, nobody is arguing that he wasn't at the dance. Whether he was part of the second group of men involved in the brawl outside does seem to be in question, however.

I would think the prosecution would also be struggling to come up with a believable motive for Manase to have stabbed the guy as well. Yes, they were asked to leave the dance earlier on, but from the reports I've read, the bloke stumbled into the brawl later on and was attacked in the course of that. It's hard to believe he was targeted in any way and wasn't just unlucky. The link between the two main events - dude asks men to leave dance, is later stabbed - is nowhere near as direct as early reports suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8