[Resurrected] Josh Schuster

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ponga is a little different as he had a couple of first grade starts and some reserves, Schuster is coning out of SG Ball.

500k is also a bit much but Id be happy with 300k

Actually Ponga played no reserve games before playing first grade. He played in the Cowboys' NYC comp that year (2016) and played two first grade matches in the finals before signing with Newcastle for around $600,000 a year. So there is almost no difference with Schuster at that stage and that was almost 3 years ago. If we miss out on this kid because of fudging with the money a lot of supporters on this forum will be calling for Manly blood. Comparisons with Mecalfe are way off the mark. He's a far better player than that and even Fittler sees him as a future SOO player. Of course that's a little early to predict, but the potential is there and if clubs are already talking $300,000 for starters you get bet your sweet bippy he'll be signed for more than that.

Last edited:
I have only seen Schuster play from video clips ... now .. being 66 yo and having played and coached at a reasonable level, followed by a further 55 years of watching football ... I could make a reasonable assessment of this kids playing ability .. not perfect but a reasonable assessment ...

However ... if asked whether this kid will be an NRL star .... I would have absolutely no idea ....because it is not his talent that will be the decider ... it is his desire, committment and dedication that will make the difference ... and the only people that know if he has the "right stuff" are the coaches and managers that have been around him for the past few years ...

From comments ... it appears he does have what it takes ..... and at the end of the day with a junior talent .... you are gambling more on his character and fortitude ... than you are on his playing talent ..

I have only seen Schuster play from video clips ... now .. being 66 yo and having played and coached at a reasonable level, followed by a further 55 years of watching football ... I could make a reasonable assessment of this kids playing ability .. not perfect but a reasonable assessment ...

However ... if asked whether this kid will be an NRL star .... I would have absolutely no idea ....because it is not his talent that will be the decider ... it is his desire, committment and dedication that will make the difference ... and the only people that know if he has the "right stuff" are the coaches and managers that have been around him for the past few years ...

From comments ... it appears he does have what it takes ..... and at the end of the day with a junior talent .... you are gambling more on his character and fortitude ... than you are on his playing talent ..

What levels have you coached at?

Money will no doubt be a priority, but the kid has to also WANT to stay at Manly. If he has built strong relationships at the club and is feeling some love then that will carry some weight in the negotiation process. Also might come down to what position the club see him playing moving forward and what position he sees himself playing. Opportunity and a pathway to NRL will no doubt be a factor as well.

If he is happy at Manly and the club and he are on the same wavelength as regards his future then that will make the process less painful.

Money will no doubt be a priority, but the kid has to also WANT to stay at Manly. If he has built strong relationships at the club and is feeling some love then that will carry some weight in the negotiation process. Also might come down to what position the club see him playing moving forward and what position he sees himself playing. Opportunity and a pathway to NRL will no doubt be a factor as well.

If he is happy at Manly and the club and he are on the same wavelength as regards his future then that will make the process less painful.

Agree .... we are in the box seat .... but other factors will include the people around him and close to him .... his parents and manager will both have their influence ... depending where he is from there may be a move back home element .... we live in hope ..

Agree .... we are in the box seat .... but other factors will include the people around him and close to him .... his parents and manager will both have their influence ... depending where he is from there may be a move back home element .... we live in hope ..

He is pretty tight with Kristie Fulton who is involved in the pathways programme so let’s hope that sways him.

Joshua Schuster is the best young player I’ve ever seen come through. Ben is not in his league.

Brad Fittler debut @ 17 years - and was outstanding - set up 2 tries , 1 with his first touch in first grade which continued to be World class at 18 - more than dominated all the Junior reps Ball : Matthews shield including Australian schoolboys-
Played first grade bypassing Flegg.
Brad scored over a thousand points in 3 seasons when he lived at Ashcroft where he started playing , and remembered as u/18 on 1990 kangaroos tour to France and England..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8