[Resurrected] Josh Schuster

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I replied to original comment was made , regarding Schuster being the best junior ever seen .
I hope he is and I hope Manly sign him for a few years.
He is the best junior I have seen, that doesn’t mean he is the best junior ever. I think that barring injury we will have a very very special player.

It’s is irresponsible to consider their situation as anything but that requiring close monitoring.

When you have situations of 12 year olds on weight programmes .... their training doesn't need to be monitored ... it needs to be investigated on physical, mental and ethical grounds ...,if the arguement is that they cannot compete in an under 16 competition unless they push their still forming bodies to the extreme ... then we are in a sad and dangerous place ....

Pss ... Snake ... I am not suggesting for a moment that you are condoning or supporting any sort of excess or "abuse" ....

As a side note had a lengthy discussion yesterday with a professional sports elite trainer who has worked (and still) with Metcalf, he reckons that Metcalf is the player we can build a team around, reckons he has more speed and skill than Valentine Holmes. He reckons along with Shuster we would be cementing the clubs future success by signing them to the club long term.

Last edited:
When you have situations of 12 year olds on weight programmes .... their training doesn't need to be monitored ... it needs to be investigated on physical, mental and ethical grounds ...,if the arguement is that they cannot compete in an under 16 competition unless they push their still forming bodies to the extreme ... then we are in a sad and dangerous place ....

Pss ... Snake ... I am not suggesting for a moment that you are condoning or supporting any sort of excess or "abuse" ....
What the do with the weights is they teach them technique without mass. Then when they are physically ready, they introduce light loads and when they are fully developed they introduce the standard loads. There is a lot of science that goes into it and it is heavily monitored.

A lot of the monitoring is around player welfare. I’ve seen first hand the difficulties these guys have juggling so much in their lives.

What the do with the weights is they teach them technique without mass. Then when they are physically ready, they introduce light loads and when they are fully developed they introduce the standard loads. There is a lot of science that goes into it and it is heavily monitored.

A lot of the monitoring is around player welfare. I’ve seen first hand the difficulties these guys have juggling so much in their lives.

I accept your comments regarding the elite players that come under the auspices of the "qualified" monitors ... however the number of kids "self taugth" or home schooled trying to make the rep teams are far greater and are at risk ...

As a side note had a lengthy discussion yesterday with a professional sports elite trainer who has worked (and still) with Metcalf, he reckons that Metcalf is the player we can build a team around, reckons he has more speed and skill than Valentine Holmes. He reckons along with Shuster we would be cementing the clubs future success by signing them to the club long term.

He did come with great wraps on him. You would think that if he didn’t get injured he would be playing firsts at the moment. Possibly before LG who I don’t think is in Dessie’s long term plans.

There are big question marks around his defence and ability to play tough. He is a bit of a show pony like Tom Wright. He wasnt close to playing FG before the season started and Elgey was way ahead. A lot of good judges expect him to never make it.

There are big question marks around his defence and ability to play tough. He is a bit of a show pony like Tom Wright. He wasnt close to playing FG before the season started and Elgey was way ahead. A lot of good judges expect him to never make it.
Have to agree,he has stagnated,I think they even moved him to fullback at one point...(and not because of injuries)

I have only seen a couple of full games with Schuster, the rest highlights so am not fully familiar with him besides the huge raps he has, so I could be way off the mark.
From what I saw from those games though, I thought he had the makings and the look of a very, very good center in the mold of a Latrine Mitchell.
Just me though.

Have to agree,he has stagnated,I think they even moved him to fullback at one point...(and not because of injuries)

Spot on was moved to fullback at one stage because he was a constant target in the defensive line. They needed to hide him. Was the U20 player of the year in 2018 however he was a turnstile and liability in defence all year. Can’t tackle U20 players let alone an NRL player. Guys like Mitchell, Ferguson, Rapana etc would have a field day out wide with him.

Josh Schuster however I have no such concerns about.

With injuries I'd say he has next year to mature with a spot if required with injuries to others for the experience, then year after - who knows, it's up to him? Good luck young fella!

While on the subject of Schuster, has it been announced which SGBall players were called up to Jersey Flegg u/20’s ?
I’d expect 6 or 7 players to be called up.

He won the award for the best player in the under 20s comp when we poached him. Would love to see him reach his potential in the maroon and white.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4