[Resurrected] Josh Schuster

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Brad Fittler debut @ 17 years - and was outstanding - set up 2 tries , 1 with his first touch in first grade which continued to be World class at 18 - more than dominated all the Junior reps Ball : Matthews shield including Australian schoolboys-
Played first grade bypassing Flegg.
Brad scored over a thousand points in 3 seasons when he lived at Ashcroft where he started playing , and remembered as u/18 on 1990 kangaroos tour to France and England..
The roosters took years to poach him, they weren’t quite developed yet.

Very good junior, but i wouldn't pay overs for him. Josh just seems to be one of those players that has more time than everyone else on the field, Looking forward to see him step up into Flegg and Cup.

That is the key you just touched on. He has 'more time' than anyone else. That is one of the key elements that makes a top five eighth. Alan Thompson, Cliff Lyons, Mark Ella to name a few. Its an instinctive ability. Cant be taught. Kids like Schuster just know what option to take and its almost like they've got all the time in the world to do it. Fainu has a bit of that characteristic. You can see it. Its just so relaxed and easy for them. Very few players have that ability and it is ideal in creating gaps, which is what Schuster has been doing in the junior grades, whether at 5/8 or second row. He's a natural. And yes Woodsie is right. It is also about commitment. This kid involves himself in games, something I was frustrated about Tom Wright not doing enough. He takes command. He's got all the right skills and he has the time and timing needed to be a top shelf player.

The roosters took years to poach him, they weren’t quite developed yet.

I actually met Gould in my job before he got Fittler. The fellow I was interviewing was a horse trainer who Gould was friendly with. I remember saying I hope Fittler goes to Manly at the time. The trainer said, he's off to Easts, Gould will make sure of that. That conversation occurred weeks before Fittler signed.

1. Josh is contracted for next season but SG Ball finishes in May, which means he is fair game for other clubs to enquire.
2. He is about to step up and have a run in Jersey Flegg. We have to be careful with the young guys; they've been playing since October and it is important they don't burn out.
3. There is interest from other clubs but that's not a surprise; he comes with huge raps. He will take some keeping. Yes, he wants to stay at Manly with his mates (he also rates Hasler, who gives his time at training sessions and takes an active interest in our junior programs). The SG Ball side are a great crop of talent and a very close knit group. However, when clubs are knocking and waving big money, it is not an easy decision. There is external pressure from managers, family, friends and coaches...everyone in your ear telling you what you should do.
4. Josh is a fantastic person with a great attitude; that's why he was Captain of the team...he is professional and has the drive to match the talent. Outside of injuries, he is the shortest odds to play FG of any junior playing rugby league in 2019.

Are you talking about Josh Schuster here Snake? He played 5/8 all season for SG Ball, though he was a second rower in Harold Matthews. When did he have the shoulder injury because e has been playing for the past two years in Manly's lower grades? Are you certain he's contracted with Manly for a couple more years? If so that is great. Or are you talking about Ben Trbojevic?
He had the shoulder injury last year. He missed 6 months with it. He didn't play football until August last year. The junior reps had finished, which is probably why you didn't know about it. He is contracted for next season but it's a junior reps contract and the season finishes in May. Manly will need to offer him a spot in the top 30 for 2020, because if we don't, you can bet someone else will.

As for 5/8...I know you are excited, but 5/8 in SG Ball is very different to 5/8 in FG. He is a big body and it's not easy carrying a big frame around in the halves in FG. There is every chance he will come through in the forwards mate...He has incredible skill but he is going to be size of Angus Crichton when he finishes growing. All I am saying is, don't bank on him as a future half...he is a freak player who could school the younger guys at 5/8 but he is destined for the forwards. It's just the nature of being tall and weighing over 100kg.

He had the shoulder injury last year. He missed 6 months with it. He didn't play football until August last year. The junior reps had finished, which is probably why you didn't know about it. He is contracted for next season but it's a junior reps contract and the season finishes in May. Manly will need to offer him a spot in the top 30 for 2020, because if we don't, you can bet someone else will.

As for 5/8...I know you are excited, but 5/8 in SG Ball is very different to 5/8 in FG. He is a big body and it's not easy carrying a big frame around in the halves in FG. There is every chance he will come through in the forwards mate...He has incredible skill but he is going to be size of Angus Crichton when he finishes growing. All I am saying is, don't bank on him as a future half...he is a freak player who could school the younger guys at 5/8 but he is destined for the forwards. It's just the nature of being tall and weighing over 100kg.

Thanks Snake. Really appreciate the information. Good that he wants to stay. As for his size, Wally Lewis who played most of his career at 5/8 was 95 kgs and 6 feet tall and that was way back then. With wingers at 100 kgs these days, a 5/8 that big would not be unusual. But I appreciate what you are saying and thank you for your info.

Brad Fittler debut @ 17 years - and was outstanding - set up 2 tries , 1 with his first touch in first grade which continued to be World class at 18 - more than dominated all the Junior reps Ball : Matthews shield including Australian schoolboys-
Played first grade bypassing Flegg.
Brad scored over a thousand points in 3 seasons when he lived at Ashcroft where he started playing , and remembered as u/18 on 1990 kangaroos tour to France and England..
Sorry, not sure of your point here. The comparison was Schuster and Ben T.

1. Josh is contracted for next season but SG Ball finishes in May, which means he is fair game for other clubs to enquire.
2. He is about to step up and have a run in Jersey Flegg. We have to be careful with the young guys; they've been playing since October and it is important they don't burn out.
3. There is interest from other clubs but that's not a surprise; he comes with huge raps. He will take some keeping. Yes, he wants to stay at Manly with his mates (he also rates Hasler, who gives his time at training sessions and takes an active interest in our junior programs). The SG Ball side are a great crop of talent and a very close knit group. However, when clubs are knocking and waving big money, it is not an easy decision. There is external pressure from managers, family, friends and coaches...everyone in your ear telling you what you should do.
4. Josh is a fantastic person with a great attitude; that's why he was Captain of the team...he is professional and has the drive to match the talent. Outside of injuries, he is the shortest odds to play FG of any junior playing rugby league in 2019.
Agree with all but not sure about an 18 year old burning out. When we were 17-18 we were playing junior Raiders training everyday, playing school footy, oz tag, athletics, indoor cricket... Anything really. And as you know my bro went from 18s to reserves to 1st grade all in the same year. Being burnt out was the furtherest thing on our minds. It comes down to the individuals commitment and training and preparation for training and game day.

Moley clearly stated pre season that Schuster, and both Turbos were going to extend prior to the season starting.

I hate these Teflon reporters.

Woodsie made it quite clear I thought.... he is "66 yo" and had "a further 55 years of watching football" that FOLLOWED "having played and coached at a reasonable level"....

it's obvious that he was captain-coach of his u-11 squad.... :emo:

I took it to mean that when he was 66 yo he had played and coached at a reasonable level, then he watched the game for a further 55 yrs... so he’s now 121.

Agree with all but not sure about an 18 year old burning out. When we were 17-18 we were playing junior Raiders training everyday, playing school footy, oz tag, athletics, indoor cricket... Anything really. And as you know my bro went from 18s to reserves to 1st grade all in the same year. Being burnt out was the furtherest thing on our minds. It comes down to the individuals commitment and training and preparation for training and game day.
IM glad you’re not in charge of player welfare at Manly; you can not compare running around in the park with mates playing oz tag and indoor cricket to the current professional sporting environment of 2019. Look no further than Dylan Brown’s current overuse injury as an example of the rigours of modern day professional sport.

Robbo made his debut before tv changed it’s aspect ratio and replays on Fox have two black columns in both corners...that is a bygone era! A young growing body playing league through Summer and Winter, school footy and gym, needs to be monitored. Sometimes too much commitment can bring a player undone. They need to be told when to rest. Thankfully, our coaches see it that way too.

IM glad you’re not in charge of player welfare at Manly; you can not compare running around in the park with mates playing oz tag and indoor cricket to the current professional sporting environment of 2019. Look no further than Dylan Brown’s current overuse injury as an example of the rigours of modern day professional sport.

Robbo made his debut before tv changed it’s aspect ratio and replays on Fox have two black columns in both corners...that is a bygone era! A young growing body playing league through Summer and Winter, school footy and gym, needs to be monitored. Sometimes too much commitment can bring a player undone. They need to be told when to rest. Thankfully, our coaches see it that way too.
Agree to disagree then. To say that the boys in my bros era had it easier than the players now is not a fair statement. Having been there and done it and watched what they went through back then they worked their asses off day in day out. Obviously the type of strength and conditioning has changed but doesn't mean its any easier or harder now.
Obviously each player needs to be monitored but i dont see jumping from 18s to NSW cup for the remainder of the year is too much for a young growing body.

Agree with a lot of posters here that we need to invest in Shcuster. He looks like the type of player you could build a team around. Don't want to be looking back and thinking we let this talent go.

The game only goes for 80 min .. (do jnrs play less?) ... so if the players are at risk of burning out ... I would suggest it is the amount of training they are doing and not the amount of playing ....
You cannot compare the intensity of training with matches. What they put their bodies through in 80 minutes is very taxing. The preparation to be ready for matches is mentally exhausting as well. Josh is trying to get a HSC at the same time, and a lot of our SGBall players travel by bus to Narrabean 3 nights a week and return to their homes in Western Sydney to sleep and get up and go to school. You make a good point...training loads also need to be managed.

It’s is irresponsible to consider their situation as anything but that requiring close monitoring.

You cannot compare the intensity of training with matches. What they put their bodies through in 80 minutes is very taxing. The preparation to be ready for matches is mentally exhausting as well. Josh is trying to get a HSC at the same time, and a lot of our SGBall players travel by bus to Narrabean 3 nights a week and return to their homes in Western Sydney to sleep and get up and go to school. You make a good point...training loads also need to be managed.

It’s is irresponsible to consider their situation as anything but that requiring close monitoring.
Match fitness is a different kettle of fish. Doesn't matter how good of a preseason you have it takes a couple of games to get the straps on. And for me it always takes a good day or two for your body to recover properly after game day. Bumps and bruises etc

Match fitness is a different kettle of fish. Doesn't matter how good of a preseason you have it takes a couple of games to get the straps on. And for me it always takes a good day or two for your body to recover properly after game day. Bumps and bruises etc
More if you get on the piss the night before a game i can tell you.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8