[Resurrected] Josh Schuster

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ponga is the case for offering big dollars on potential. The case against is Suli.

I think at the end of the day you have to take the glass half full approach and take a punt on these seriously talented youngsters. However, it is prudent to only allocate a certain % of your cap towards ‘potential’ and Manly will have at least young hoppa, Burbo and Schuster in this category. Are we willing to throw eg $1m combined at these three?

The other thing to remember is that while we might have cap space from Thommo and Walker moving on and no cap handicap, already Garrick would have gotten a bigger deal and Waddell is in line for one too. If Croker can replicate his Canberra form, he will warrant an upgrade Fainu deserves one (and will need one to keep him happy).

As Des said when appointed at Manly, managing a salary cap is not easy....

Karl Filiga is a one-time 'next Sonny Bill', he ended up playing one game for the Sharks and that was it!
As for Schuster - why go anywhere else? Our team is the team on the rise, our club is steeped in tradition as regular premiership winners. If he goes elsewhere for dollars alone then I'll be most surprised. He is coming through our ranks with some other top talent and there must be a very positive vibe through the club at present.

Schuster will be offered near as much as Ponga was by other clubs. He's a 5/8 with outstanding skills and with a spine position you pay through the nose. We didn't quibble over Tom T or DCE. . I would grab him before any of the others bar perhaps Fainu. Would you pay that much if Ponga was available. Of course you would. And Newcastle paid more than that after he had played 2 premiership games and that was 2 years ago when the salary cap was smaller..

You keep bringing up Ponga I can bring up 10 players who were better than schuster at his age that didn't make it. Metcalf for example has done every bit as good in juniors as Josh has. We all know why the knights paid him that money at the time they had no half,5/8 or fullback ( had a rubbish squad) so they threw ridiculous money at him. As for we didn't quibble over DCE and Tom you are kidding DCE won a gf with us not earning the money you want to throw at this kid.
He also is not exclusively a 5/8 most of his juniors he was a backrower until he got to u18's when he was to small.

I think we all agree that the club should be and is doing all they can but you have to be sensible if we give him 500k than what do we give to a first grader coming off contract this year that has been proven at the level? if you inflate the market in your club next minute players are knocking on the door wanting more money or demanding a release.

But Bear I hear you and hope he stays also.

Last edited:
I'm glad you're not running the cap if you want to give a player who has never played senior football 500k. So what do you give to Hopoate and young Turbo? 300k each?Like it or not we have a cap and the reason the Knights gave Ponga that money was they were desperate they had nobody and had the space to pay overs. We have neither the need or the space and it is simple Josh either wants to stay or he doesn't but I can assure you he will not be getting 500k from us.
Bear runs the roosters salary cap No limit required

Ponga is the case for offering big dollars on potential. The case against is Suli.

I think at the end of the day you have to take the glass half full approach and take a punt on these seriously talented youngsters. However, it is prudent to only allocate a certain % of your cap towards ‘potential’ and Manly will have at least young hoppa, Burbo and Schuster in this category. Are we willing to throw eg $1m combined at these three?

The other thing to remember is that while we might have cap space from Thommo and Walker moving on and no cap handicap, already Garrick would have gotten a bigger deal and Waddell is in line for one too. If Croker can replicate his Canberra form, he will warrant an upgrade Fainu deserves one (and will need one to keep him happy).

As Des said when appointed at Manly, managing a salary cap is not easy....
I think Suli will end up being an extremely good player. It’s not like he was ever on $500k a season. He’s starting centre for a team which is currently equal 5th in the NRL and he’s 20 years old.

I think Suli will end up being an extremely good player. It’s not like he was ever on $500k a season. He’s starting centre for a team which is currently equal 5th in the NRL and he’s 20 years old.
For us, I agree we have got a decent return so far. But the Tigers threw big money at him for not much return.

Karl Filiga is a one-time 'next Sonny Bill', he ended up playing one game for the Sharks and that was it!
As for Schuster - why go anywhere else? Our team is the team on the rise, our club is steeped in tradition as regular premiership winners. If he goes elsewhere for dollars alone then I'll be most surprised. He is coming through our ranks with some other top talent and there must be a very positive vibe through the club at present.
Yep, Karl Filiga, one of stickys f*ck ups.
And there was Barney Hazlett.
Signed as the next Peter Sterling during crushers time at the slime.
Offered this, touted as that, at the ripe old age of...
He went on to have a reasonable career but from memory it was with Woy Woy...

Does anybody know if he is a local kid ... or did we import him in .....

Will the major issue be money or Is club loyalty likely to have any bearing ? ... or will he look to move back to where he came from ?? ...
I believe he’s an import (albeit at a very young age like DCE was). At least I seem to recall reading that somewhere a while ago on the bastion of trust that is Silvertails.

Josh was essentially poached at 15 from eels system by Fultons. Given investment potential and talk from many experts he worth money being thrown out there.
This much talked about ball team has numerous potential first graders which young hopa, ben turbo, Schuster and weekes talked up.
No doubt you can't keep them all. Josh has been talked up by fittler. We need to keep him. Waddell on 2 year deal lets not rush into it. I say its a given Thompson gone. Next season is massive for our future seasons with turbos and marty off contract who club will all want to keep.

Josh was essentially poached at 15 from eels system by Fultons. Given investment potential and talk from many experts he worth money being thrown out there.
This much talked about ball team has numerous potential first graders which young hopa, ben turbo, Schuster and weekes talked up.
No doubt you can't keep them all. Josh has been talked up by fittler. We need to keep him. Waddell on 2 year deal lets not rush into it. I say its a given Thompson gone. Next season is massive for our future seasons with turbos and marty off contract who club will all want to keep.
Keep these young kids coming through.... forget Gutherson!

Keep these young kids coming through.... forget Gutherson!
Yeah i think we moved on we simply cannot afford his price, next season 3 of our marquee players in turbos and marty need to be signed up. I imagine likes of Thompson and api will be moved on to afford our boom juniors and above mentioned.

Please say we have hodkos salary off the books too, along with thommo and api, and walker most likely, that’s a bit of a war chest

Please say we have hodkos salary off the books too, along with thommo and api, and walker most likely, that’s a bit of a war chest
Well i imagine trent not retained. On cap estimates
Hodko 250k
Thomson 550k
Walker 650k
Api (if released) 350k

Thats alot of cap savings right there. My gut tells me fainu the clubs long term choice.

Well i imagine trent not retained. On cap estimates
Hodko 250k
Thomson 550k
Walker 650k
Api (if released) 350k

Thats alot of cap savings right there. My gut tells me fainu the clubs long term choice.

If our clubs gut isn’t telling then Fainu is the future, we will need sone ipecac

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8