[Resurrected] Josh Schuster

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Well the reasons for him staying are obvious. We have a proven coach, several origin and representative players and we are still winning despite an current injury toll worth a few million dollars. We have $350k more to spend next year plus a few big signings likely to be offloaded for next year, so we should have room in the cap to sign him.

Des has also shown this year to be pragmatic with squad choices.

No reason for us not to get this done unless somebody else absolutely blows our offer out of the water.

Interesting to see if he will be able to play at NRL level? Tom wright was awesome in 20s then struggled with defence at nrl although Barret was a **** coach and didn't get much opportunity. We have Metcalf who was the competition best player and took out the best and fairest but hasn't had a chance to play NRL two years later? Burbo will succeed, just watching him has the same traits as his brothers.

Interesting to see Albert over come his ACL and what he could do as well. Hopefully we keep them all including Manu

I think Tom Wright was poorly handled in the end by Barrett. The kid had pace and skill to burn and logically should have been put out on the wing from the start. Good hands, has played full back so no catching problem, needed Menzies to teach him how to tackle effectively instead of grabbing. But coulda been a contenda. Barrett ruined several of our potentials including Hastings and Parcell.

Interesting to see if he will be able to play at NRL level? Tom wright was awesome in 20s then struggled with defence at nrl although Barret was a **** coach and didn't get much opportunity. We have Metcalf who was the competition best player and took out the best and fairest but hasn't had a chance to play NRL two years later? Burbo will succeed, just watching him has the same traits as his brothers.

Interesting to see Albert over come his ACL and what he could do as well. Hopefully we keep them all including Manu

Not sure about the reasons why he wasn't in the picture last year, however Metcalf did his ACL earlier this year so his season is done, unfortunately.

I really wish we would hurry up and get this done.

Not as simple as that club have offered him what they believe is our best deal and it's up to him and family to decide. Not much confidence he will stay is what I'm hearing. Can't blame him as we have seen with young Albert these guy's are 1 or 2 injuries from potentially being on the scrap heap, they should grab every last dollar they can.

Not as simple as that club have offered him what they believe is our best deal and it's up to him and family to decide. Not much confidence he will stay is what I'm hearing. Can't blame him as we have seen with young Albert these guy's are 1 or 2 injuries from potentially being on the scrap heap, they should grab every last dollar they can.

I understand not going crazy but we need to stay right in this, Schuster is no Tom Wright, he is a generational talent and if it got down to an extra 50k a year over the next few years lock it in imo

I heard he's been offered by 2 clubs numbers around $300K a season, that's big money for someone yet to play a NRL game. At this rate the salary cap will need to be doubled because the young ones want to be a senior experienced money? No way you can pay that for 16 - 17 players

I heard he's been offered by 2 clubs numbers around $300K a season, that's big money for someone yet to play a NRL game. At this rate the salary cap will need to be doubled because the young ones want to be a senior experienced money? No way you can pay that for 16 - 17 players

He's worth up to $500,000. He'll be most likely a star performer. Ponga got the Newcastle contract after 2 games for around $600,000 yearly. Have they made a mistake? Manly cant afford to quibble over big money for a potential star, otherwise other sides will be quick to steal him from the nest.

He's worth up to $500,000. He'll be most likely a star performer. Ponga got the Newcastle contract after 2 games for around $600,000 yearly. Have they made a mistake? Manly cant afford to quibble over big money for a potential star, otherwise other sides will be quick to steal him from the nest.

He may well be, I also support the notion that we should retain most of our junior stars as well. But if the league start paying newbies that type of coin, how do you fit everyone under the cap? Problem also is the amount of knee injuries these young ones are currently copping - how can you take such an expense risk of having a newbie out for a season on the coin you're suggesting? They are dropping like flies in the juniors. Hope it doesn't happen of course but we need to be careful.

Having Des as coach is a big factor in our favour because players can see that we are a chance to win a premiership in the next couple of years

How many people have actually seen him play? Generational player? Jesus. $500k-$600k per season? Comparing him to Ponga?

I didn't realise we had such a player at our club!

What's going on here?

How many people have actually seen him play? Generational player? Jesus. $500k-$600k per season? Comparing him to Ponga?

What's going on here?
I have seen him play a few times. Was easily the best player on the field, similar when tommy was playing junior footy. Like men against boys.

Has also been given huge raps as the next best thing. I thought Newcastle were crazy offering Ponga that money, but goes to show he is worth every bit.

Who knows if he will turn out to be the next best thing, would be a shame if he did and we let him go. Dez has big raps on him, as stated in an interview a few months ago. If dez wants him, we'll keep him and jr hoppa, ben turbo etc

I have seen him play a few times. Was easily the best player on the field, similar when tommy was playing junior footy. Like men against boys.

Has also been given huge raps as the next best thing. I thought Newcastle were crazy offering Ponga that money, but goes to show he is worth every bit.

Who knows if he will turn out to be the next best thing, would be a shame if he did and we let him go. Dez has big raps on him, as stated in an interview a few months ago. If dez wants him, we'll keep him and jr hoppa, ben turbo etc

Unfortunately, In the present landscape it’s not as simple as your last sentence. Des will do everything in his power, but the majority of the power now resides with the whim of the individual, grubby player managers and clubs that are richer than ours

Last edited:

What's going on here?

He was contained in the SG Ball final but still scored a breakaway try out of nothing. From match reports from SG Ball this year, 2 tries per game was his standard. There are quite a few highlights on YouTube.

Granted it is still U/18s but he is built like a forward and has all the skills of a half. If he wasn't that good then why are we (allegedly) battling to keep him with the cap space we will have next year?

In any case he should now be moving up to Jersey Flegg so hopefully he will be playing more on NRL game days so it will easier to see him play in person.

What's going on here?

Who was Ponga until people started talking about him. Schuster has been consistently the best or near best of the juniors in the comp in his age group, just as Ponga was. Its a risk to pay big coin, but if it pays off you may have that link in your team that wins a premiership. If he fails then he's let go after a few years. But I think this group of kids led by Fainu, Albert Hoppa, Schuster and B.T. look the goods for first grade and maybe further. With Tom T. Jake T. DCE Taupau and AFB (and perhaps Garrett) as the basis of your squad and these kids kick on, you have a top 4 side in the making within 1-3 years But you pay big bucks for the major play makers. They are the X Factors that take you from also rans to premierships.

He's worth up to $500,000

I'm glad you're not running the cap if you want to give a player who has never played senior football 500k. So what do you give to Hopoate and young Turbo? 300k each?Like it or not we have a cap and the reason the Knights gave Ponga that money was they were desperate they had nobody and had the space to pay overs. We have neither the need or the space and it is simple Josh either wants to stay or he doesn't but I can assure you he will not be getting 500k from us.

I understand not going crazy but we need to stay right in this, Schuster is no Tom Wright, he is a generational talent and if it got down to an extra 50k a year over the next few years lock it in imo

Yeah I get that but if everybody wants an extra 50k somebody has to miss out. Personally Ben Trbojevic would be my number 1 priority to keep the brothers together.

I'm glad you're not running the cap if you want to give a player who has never played senior football 500k. So what do you give to Hopoate and young Turbo? 300k each?Like it or not we have a cap and the reason the Knights gave Ponga that money was they were desperate they had nobody and had the space to pay overs. We have neither the need or the space and it is simple Josh either wants to stay or he doesn't but I can assure you he will not be getting 500k from us.

Schuster will be offered near as much as Ponga was by other clubs. He's a 5/8 with outstanding skills and with a spine position you pay through the nose. We didn't quibble over Tom T or DCE. . I would grab him before any of the others bar perhaps Fainu. Would you pay that much if Ponga was available. Of course you would. And Newcastle paid more than that after he had played 2 premiership games and that was 2 years ago when the salary cap was smaller..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8