Hooker for 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
By all reports Croker is one of the fittest at the club. Could he play 80?
If not, it'll be interesting to see how he replaces him when he needs a spell. Seems a waste to play Schuster there but as long as he is getting his hands on the ball then I don't care where he plays.

Qld had Munster and Chez jumping in to hooker at times and I can see us doing something similar with Chez, Schuster and Foran all out there.
The 80 mins is a big question mark isn't it...he would probs need match fitness before he could handle it...that means Cust's chances of grabbing a bench spot improve considerably.

Harper was 1 of the better in the trials, who many expect a walkup start in the 1...but Saab definately seen as a fullback option, not just a winger
Saab is not an option at 1. He does not have a pass on him, nor does he have the smarts. He is known for his size and speed but was a late bloomer and his 'footballing instincts' are still very green.

The 80 mins is a big question mark isn't it...he would probs need match fitness before he could handle it...that means Cust's chances of grabbing a bench spot improve considerably.
I'm pretty sure Des will go with both Croker and Cust. To avoid selectaggedon I think the best move is to put Schuster on the left edge in the back row, with Jetski/Siro, one on the right one on the bench.

So if Foran starts at 6 then Schuster and Cust will both be on the bench because of 9 cover or is Schuster a chance of starting at 6 and Foran and Cust taking up 2 bench spots OR is Schuster a chance at starting somewhere else in the 13?
Schuster has to play and realistically the Frog needs backup so the bench is really important.

Do we go with Cust, Schuster/Foran, Aloiai/Sipley and Guac/Keppie on the bench...assuming Marty, Paseka and Gojetski start? Lots of assumptions there.
BTW, thanks for all your input.

So if Foran starts at 6 then Schuster and Cust will both be on the bench because of 9 cover or is Schuster a chance of starting at 6 and Foran and Cust taking up 2 bench spots OR is Schuster a chance at starting somewhere else in the 13?
Schuster has to play and realistically the Frog needs backup so the bench is really important.

Do we go with Cust, Schuster/Foran, Aloiai/Sipley and Guac/Keppie on the bench...assuming Marty, Paseka and Gojetski start? Lots of assumptions there.
BTW, thanks for all your input.
Foran is definitely playing 6. Croker is definitely 9. The bench is still being decided. Schuster is no chance of a starting position.

Foran is definitely playing 6. Croker is definitely 9. The bench is still being decided. Schuster is no chance of a starting position.

if that’s the case I can’t see them playing both Cust and Schuster off the bench. Surely they will go with the schu, with no Tom we are seriously short on any xfactor. I think a bench role is the perfect role for him at the moment.

if that’s the case I can’t see them playing both Cust and Schuster off the bench. Surely they will go with the schu, with no Tom we are seriously short on any xfactor. I think a bench role is the perfect role for him at the moment.
If DESpicable picks Foran over The Shoe then it confirms to me the coach has become 'The Staid Professor, opting for conservatism over potential.

My bench:
Aloiai
Davey
Schuster
Cust
18 Olakau-atu
19 Funa
20 Sipley/ Keppie/ Boyle
21 Tuipulotu

Davey can play middle and we also have the option of moving Jake to prop and Schuster to lock after 20 minutes.
I don't think we need your standard 2 props on the bench!
Obviously I start Paseka cos Aloiai has huge impact off the bench in the trial.

** Personally I'd have Olakau-atu ahead of Siro but can't see that happening!

Saab is not an option at 1. He does not have a pass on him, nor does he have the smarts. He is known for his size and speed but was a late bloomer and his 'footballing instincts' are still very green.
Saab would not be the first fullback without a passing game and has attributes such as great hands and speed which are qualities Manly have lacked often without Tom T
It has been discussed as an option and even mentioned in interviews.
Maybe not the number 1 option at this moment but could well get a run there some stage

Going forward imo. We need to get Siro out from the starting line up or at least not an 80 min player. Davey can do a job and he should be rotated. He just gets in the way of our attacks and doesnt get the ball out to the centre/winger enough.

The same applies for J Turbo. I honestly dont know where the myth that he is a ball player has come from. Besides the one play that hes mastered.. hes no Gifty. Gifty was a masterful ball playing lock. I dont see that in Jake. Jake is crucial for his defence - one of the best defenders ive seen.. he takes decent hit ups.. he should be in the prop rotation.

8. Taupau
9. Croker
10. Turbo
11. Sironen (replaced by Davey after 20)
12. Jetski
13. Shuster

We need Shuster on the park.. i dont think hes ready to control matches just yet and with Foran (not sure how long he will last) we have someone who will steer the ship. Shuster will add speed size and creativity in the forwards which we severely lack.

We then have a big punch with the bench
14. Cust
15. Aloiai
16. Paseka
17. Olakau-atu

If injuries to halves we have Shuster to reshuffle (Turbo can always go back to lock or Olakau-atu)

Injuries to the backline we always have the dependable Jetski

Guess that it is difficult enough when a club 's top 3 paid players are not available or performing up to an expected level on a regular basis and presently with Manly of course with the 3 mil directed at D C E , Turbo and Jake . Even more difficult however when the next level of well paid players are not performing to an expected level or available and in the case of Suli , Siro , fainu and even to a lesser extent Marty and Walker , Can 't do much and not much control with the current situation with Turbo and Fauni but the other higher paid players in the squad really should be able to play to their max and commensurate with their pay packets . Maybe some better playing and defensive structures but after some of the capitulations last season and some apparently pretty average efforts in trials just so necessary to get some fire in the belly mentality and defensive steel into the mix again somehow . Plenty of good prospects coming through a good development pathways programme and a very good talent in Schuster but a lost cause this season if the more established and higher paid players can not lift their games and in a collective sense .

Guess that it is difficult enough when a club 's top 3 paid players are not available or performing up to an expected level on a regular basis and presently with Manly of course with the 3 mil directed at D C E , Turbo and Jake . Even more difficult however when the next level of well paid players are not performing to an expected level or available and in the case of Suli , Siro , fainu and even to a lesser extent Marty and Walker , Can 't do much and not much control with the current situation with Turbo and Fauni but the other higher paid players in the squad really should be able to play to their max and commensurate with their pay packets . Maybe some better playing and defensive structures but after some of the capitulations last season and some apparently pretty average efforts in trials just so necessary to get some fire in the belly mentality and defensive steel into the mix again somehow . Plenty of good prospects coming through a good development pathways programme and a very good talent in Schuster but a lost cause this season if the more established and higher paid players can not lift their games and in a collective sense .
on the money... our top players need to stand up in attack but our defense needs to be re-assessed because our up-and-in got torn apart last year and the last 6 or 7 games we looked like a rabble...

Will see both Walker and Suli when selected next Tuesday, along with some (different) in the spine....also Guoc is available for selection regardless of who is picked for round 1.
  • You said Walker and Suli are a lock in the centres and I am saying that they will not be our centre pairing against the Chooks.
  • I am saying Foran will be 6 and Croker will be 9.
  • As for Gauc, I’m saying he will not play against Chooks.
*injuries at training aside.

Saab would not be the first fullback without a passing game and has attributes such as great hands and speed which are qualities Manly have lacked often without Tom T
It has been discussed as an option and even mentioned in interviews.
Maybe not the number 1 option at this moment but could well get a run there some stage
If you think Des is seriously considering Saab at fullback, you have rocks in your head. He also doesn’t tell the media the truth 90% of the time. He is the master of smoke and mirrors. Saab at 1 = no chance.

If you think Des is seriously considering Saab at fullback, you have rocks in your head. He also doesn’t tell the media the truth 90% of the time. He is the master of smoke and mirrors. Saab at 1 = no chance.
It seems Des tells you different than he tells the media with that comment.
As for Saab in the 1 (this game) not likely, but it is an option to some who have more say than you or I and don't be suprised to see it happen in the future.
As for the rocks in the head - well that's debatable...

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2