Hooker for 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This Mole bloke is a joke. He claimed Croker was injured when he wasn’t and now he is saying Cust will be our 9.
Croker was rested and had the 9 spot locked up months ago. Fozzy has also trained the entire preseason at 6 so he is not and has never been in a fight for the 6 jumper.

Anyone that tells you Foz was purchased to play 9 is having a lend of you. Included Des who is the master of smoke and mirrors.
It will be interesting to see which 2 of these 3 make the squad (assumption 1 will cover hooker/utility):
  • Croker
  • cust
  • shoe

Don't think we can afford to have 3 of them in one team? But shoe doesn't do hooker and how can you leave him out?!

It will be interesting to see which 2 of these 3 make the squad (assumption 1 will cover hooker/utility):
  • Croker
  • cust
  • shoe

Don't think we can afford to have 3 of them in one team? But shoe doesn't do hooker and how can you leave him out?!
Shoe can do anything really. The idea that 14 has to be a hooker is a tad misleading. If a back goes down, Schuster can play centre. If a half goes down, Schuster can play there. If we lose a forward, he can slot into the backrow. If Croker needs a spell, Schuster can either move in there to distribute or someone like Foran can jump in with Schuster in the halves. There are plenty of fine options when carrying a guy like Shoey on the bench.

As you say, he is too good to leave out.

Shoe can do anything really. The idea that 14 has to be a hooker is a tad misleading. If a back goes down, Schuster can play centre. If a half goes down, Schuster can play there. If we lose a forward, he can slot into the backrow. If Croker needs a spell, Schuster can either move in there to distribute or someone like Foran can jump in with Schuster in the halves. There are plenty of fine options when carrying a guy like Shoey on the bench.

I used to think a bench should be 2 X prop 1 X backrow and 1 X backrow / all rounder like say Beaver. 80 min hooker at #9

With the speed of the new game and weekly injuries I'd almost go for 2 X faster "forwards" who cover prop but maybe not genuine props, 1 X backline cover and a half / dummy half.

My concern is that GoJetSki fills that role atm - at least in the coaches eyes...

If he starts Jetski and Croker than he only needs a hooker/half and 3 forwards on bench as Jetski can cover backs...

I dont think you can have Foran, Jetski and Shoo in the same team without any of them playing 9 as you start to deplete your big forward stocks... jmo...

Id like to say that selection will be interesting but I have thought that many times in the last 12 months and it has rarely been surprising...

By all reports Croker is one of the fittest at the club. Could he play 80?
If not, it'll be interesting to see how he replaces him when he needs a spell. Seems a waste to play Schuster there but as long as he is getting his hands on the ball then I don't care where he plays.

Qld had Munster and Chez jumping in to hooker at times and I can see us doing something similar with Chez, Schuster and Foran all out there.

Who the starting prop out of Aloiai and Paseka ?

By all reports Croker is one of the fittest at the club. Could he play 80?
If not, it'll be interesting to see how he replaces him when he needs a spell. Seems a waste to play Schuster there but as long as he is getting his hands on the ball then I don't care where he plays.

Qld had Munster and Chez jumping in to hooker at times and I can see us doing something similar with Chez, Schuster and Foran all out there.

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree.

S. Fainu going into dummy half in the trial was a little bit interesting. You would think he's practiced to fill in off the bench in ressies.

And then Blacktown similarly naming an old style nuggety hooker / lock at 9 with Tonise.

As an observation has someone who dictates the way the teams play at the clubs, fallen in favour of that oldstyle hooker / lock forward on the bench.

And if Schoey is that player in A grade, being so young, if he plays 9 in attack would DES try and have someone else defend there?

My concern is that GoJetSki fills that role atm - at least in the coaches eyes...

If he starts Jetski and Croker than he only needs a hooker/half and 3 forwards on bench as Jetski can cover backs...

I dont think you can have Foran, Jetski and Shoo in the same team without any of them playing 9 as you start to deplete your big forward stocks... jmo...

Id like to say that selection will be interesting but I have thought that many times in the last 12 months and it has rarely been surprising...
I see where you are coming from but I wouldn't want Jetski playing in the halves or at 9, whereas Schuster could handle both (so I guess he has an advantage there). I also think the time has come for poor Jetski to have a breakout year in his preferred position, injury free (fingers crossed). He is gonna get first crack down that right edge.

But yes, I think you have a valid point and it will come down to Dessie and what he thinks is best. It is certainly an interesting aspect of the team selection for 2021.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8